Milan High School Controversy

matt yatsko

I have been notified that a post was recently put on here regarding Milan High School.... Let me clarify this. The wrestling team was told to do something therefore they did it and there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is what THE SCHOOL BOARD did. It was in no way the wrestling organization's fault. They simply did what they were told.

Matt,

Here is what was on the board concerning Milan, I talked to my son Daniel about it. As you can see there was nothing said negative about you or the wrestling team. really hope to see you out there this year but i understand. You can always come cheer Daniel on.

I help coach soccer over in Switzerland County. Process that so I can move on, yes TripleB is a soccer coach.

Anyway tonight we played Milan. I saw one of their players walking across the field and his walk and how he carried himself just screamed wrestler. During player intros I heard his name and it clicked with me. Yatsko.

I approached him after the game, we chatted wrestling a little bit, and then he turned away and started talking with switzerland county wrestlers when I heard him say "Im not wrestling this year" that statement caught my attention. Then I heard his reasoning and I became a fan of Matt Yatsko.

He went into an explanation of how Milan had recently got a nice, big, new wrestling room. This room cane at the expense of the special education population @ Milan. They got kicked out so the wrestling room could have their new digs.  Matt was really upset by this. He finally went to administration and told them that the special education students shouldn't be forced out at the expense of the wrestling team. He then went on to say that if the special education students didn't come out ahead, he was quitting. He couldn't stomach the thought of gaining something while those students were losing out on an education.

I was flabbergasted....speechless. Here was this kid, he's wrestled 14 yrs, his team is going to team state and none of that matters, wow! He cares so much about a population that is often pushed to the back burner that he's willing to quit a sport that he's done his whole life.

Being a special educator, I extended my hand and thanked him for being a great person.

I asked him to share this story and he said sure.

What's even more phenomenal about Matt Yatsko? He's not out for publicity or recognition. He just cares about his fellow students!

Hats off to you Matt Yatsko, you've got a great future in front of you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.