Cowboy Up!

Crutchmer is BEAST

http://news.theopenmat.com/2011/08/cowboy-up/

The Oklahoma State Cowboys kicked off their 2012 recruiting class in a big way on Sunday when they received a verbal confirmation from the top in-state talent.

Kyle Crutchmer of perennial power Tulsa Union High School became the 34-time NCAA Champions? first commitment for next season.

Had you seen Kyle Crutchmer throughout Fargo Week, you?d know what he is made of.

Battered, bruised, and often with bags of ice shrink-wrapped around his gut-wrench-impaled ribs after each session (if not every bout), Crutchmer kept taking the mat like a warrior. And while, like most athletes in our sport, he wasn?t looking for a pay day, Head Coach John Smith was in attendance, and his performance obviously didn?t go unnoticed.

Crutchmer is coming off an absolutely stellar calendar year in which he competed at 160 and 171lbs.

In April of 2010, Crutchmer made the finals Fila Cadets in both styles at 167.5lbs. He backed that up with a double Fargo AA showing at 160, including another Greco finals appearance.

During his regular high school season, Crutchmer wrestled at 160lbs and won the Reno Tournament of Champions with a finals win over Zach Brunson, who would go on to win Fargo Junior Freestyle at 152lbs. Later in the year, he won the Class 6A State title with a finals win over Zach Skates, who signed with OSU for this season, and who made the finals in Fargo Junior FS at 160lbs.

Crutchmer then headed to Virginia Beach for the NHSCA High School Nationals where he wrestled his way to the 160lb National Championship.

In June, Crutchmer made the move to 171lbs and didn?t miss a beat. He posted a perfect 15-0 record competing in both styles at the Junior Duals.

Then, in Fargo, Crutchmer lost once in GR before defaulting (ribs) to 6th, before placing 4th in FS.

A week later, he parlayed his year-long success into an offer from Oklahoma State, which Kyle has confirmed to TOM that he has accepted.

We had a chance to catch up with Kyle about his college decision:

WS: What led to your decision to head to OK St.?

KC: Coach Smith wanted my brother as well. And we wanted to go to college together. It?s also close to home. And while being close wasn?t the only factor I was looking at, it will be beneficial to have such support throughout my college career. Of course the coaching and the workout partners at Oklahoma State are great, so that was another factor.

WS: What other schools were you looking at?

KC: Old Dominon called a lot. And Wyoming. Me and Brian both really like Wyoming. OU was actually my first choice for a long while. I grew up a Boomer Sooner. But I think with Coach Cody just getting in place and their coaching staff still getting rounded out, they didn?t have a lot of time to go out recruiting just yet.

WS: What is your relationship with the coaches and wrestlers at OK St. like?

KC: Jamal Parks actually went to my high school. He was like a hero to me when I was growing up. I remember when I was in 8th grade. Parks was a senior then, and I got to drill with him once. There are also several younger kids at Oklahoma State who I?ve wrestled with on Fargo teams and things like that.

WS: You?ve had a lot of success in the international styles. Was Coach Smith?s track record of developing top international wrestlers a factor in your decision?

KC: Definitely. Freestyle and Greco is a major factor for me. And Oklahoma State always has someone making Olympic Teams or World Teams. It?s certainly something I aspire to do.

WS: Your father is your high school coach. What influence did he have in your college decision?

KC: He didn?t push me in any direction. He was there for advice, and if I had questions. But this decision was all up to me. He?s certainly excited. He likes OSU?s tradition and the fact that I?ll be close to home. But he let me decide on my own.

WS: What weight do you think you?ll be in college? 165? 174? 184?

KC: The staff at Oklahoma State recruited me thinking that I?d probably wrestle 174. But they said if I didn?t grow anymore I could be a 65. I walk around at about 180 right now. And I?m not going to cut any weight at all this year. So we?ll see. I?m thinking 174 in college.

WS: What are your college goals?

KC: I?d like to win multiple national titles and then go on to make World Teams.