NCAA Basketball style All-In Team State

I know that there have been a lot of these recently,  but I wanted to get some feedback from the wrestling community on an all-in tournament that could be completed with relatively few "big" events, most of the tournament would actually be single duals, and it would still only take four rounds, just one more than the current three which I see in most all in setups.

Setup

4 classes- 78 teams per class

This style of tournament is easier to ?picture? if you think of it as being similar to the NCAA Basketball tournament.  It would run pretty much with a 64 team bracket with a few ?play-in? games.

Round One:

Each class would have 32, two or three team duals (three team would simply mean that one team would get a bye and wrestle after the first two teams match, same place, same evening).

The opening round matches would be determined by the IHSWCA.  Instead of having a set day for the duals, they would simply need to be wrestled by the 2nd weekend in December.  This would be easy for the AD's to get set-up , duals are much easier to organize than multi-team events.

Round Two:

After this opening round we would wrestle a second round dual between two first round winners.  These matches would have to be wrestled by the 4th weekend of December this would give the AD's two weeks to set up a single dual, which is plenty of time.

Round Three:

At this point there would be 16 teams left per class.  For this round I would have four, four team events at set locations, on a set date around the state.  These would be similar to our current team regional?s (two matches one night).

At this point we would be down to the final four per class.

Final Four:

The finals would take place at a High School in Indianapolis.  Four mats, three rounds.  First round, 1A and 2A semi-finals.  Second round 3A, 4A finals.  Third round state finals in all four classes being wrestled on each mat.  This final event would take the same amount of time as the current finals do and the gym would be rocking with all four finals going on at once.

Advantages- I see this as a fairly simple tournament to run.  It will allow all teams to participate.  It will give the A.D.?s some leeway in scheduling.  It will also bring back the weeknight dual, which is something that many in our sport agree we need more of.  Duals are easier to run and hold than multi-team events.  Teams would never have to wrestle more than two matches in an evening.  Only would take up one weekend.  

Disadvantages- Possible travel time issues later in the tournament.  Getting the IHSAA to allow the extra duals.  All teams would have to participate. The finals would interfere with events on the date that they were set-for.  Some teams may not be 100% from football for the first round events.

I think this version seems pretty reasonable, but I am bias to it so please let me know what you think.

I have read a lot of proposals on here and this may be the most simple for the schools to set up.  As a fan it would be harder to follow with stuff not being on the same dates, but it would still be awsome for all the teams involved.  I think the sweet sixteen round would really get the tourney a lot of exposure.  As I have said before I am not opposed to any type of tourney as long as we do it right.  This tourney may also be less of a strain to get good refs involved since the rounds are spread over a whole 2 week.  Kudos to everyone on here throwing up their ideas and I can not wait to see what the ihswca will propose.  It will be fun and I just hope they don't go with something that is to off the wall.  Simple is key to running a good tourney so I hope they keep that in mind.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.