To all Seniors

feez

This message was posted not by me last year. And it is appropriate going into all the semi states tomorrow. Good Luck to all wrestlers,coaches and yes Officials. :)

A message to all seniors:

Congratulations on completing your high school wrestling career.  For most of you, you are officially finished with the sport.  You have spent the last couple of years doing things that most normal kids your age simply do not do.  You have busted your ass during countless workouts, cut the weight, sacrificed weekends, holiday meals, and probably been in a few battles on the mat.  Be proud of your accomplishments, but more importantly be proud of the work you put in to achieve those accomplishments.

In a few short months you will graduate high school, here is a news flash.  The world does not care if you placed 1st or 5th at state.  The world does not care if you were a semi state qualifier and lost in the ticket round. Hell, the world doesn?t even care if you were only a sectional qualifier.  Those details do not matter to people outside of the wrestling community.  What does matter is the values that you have learned in your time spent with the sport.

Now is the time to put the same dedication and hard work into whatever new challenges come your way.  Just as you wouldn?t expect your opponents to only go 50% on you in the big match, don?t expect the world to meet you half way.  Luckily for you, you have an advantage compared to your peers.  Through wrestling, you know what it is like to persevere through hard times and push on when you don?t think you can anymore. You know what it is like to sacrifice a large amount of time and energy in order to reach your goals.

Wrestling is applicable to all aspects of life.  In my few years away from the sport I have not met a challenge where wrestling has not helped me.  Use wrestling as a catalyst for success in all other endeavors.  Don?t let it end here.  You have been doing something extraordinary for the past few years and don?t stop now. Don?t let that wrestling mentality fade and fall into mediocrity. I will never forget after state finals my senior year I told myself ?Thank god, I finally get to be NORMAL?. I quickly realized there is nothing worse in this world than accepting mediocrity.  Wrestlers do not accept mediocrity and by no means are we normal. 

Wrestling is unique because it is not merely a sport, but it is a lifestyle.  This is evident through the way you will still be referred to as ?A Wrestler? by your peers and family, even though you have officially hung up your shoes.  This doesn?t happen in any other sport.  Your friends used to play soccer and they were basketball players.  You are a wrestler and always will be. 

Godspeed,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.