Where were you when you found out your School system offered Wrestling?

TOTALFOCUS

It was 1969 when we lined up for 6th grade gym class when Gary Giessler entered the gym. My good friend Mike Hoopingarner offered congratulations! I looked at Mike and asked what for? He then told me Mr. Giessler had just returned with a State Champion for Bellmont, ( 138 lb Phil Lengerich). I looked back at Mike and replied, "we have wrestling?"  Here it started in 1962 with Decatur High School. After that a new intern Gym Teacher started, A.J. Kalver. The rest is History.

Jeff Sheets

Right on Jeff.  The tradition of Bellmont Wrestling is most enduring.  The program has maintained a level which no other High School in Indiana can match!

Several schools have more State Champion individuals or Team Championships but those programs have not achieved the longevity of the Bellmont program.

Consider the overall success at Mishawaka year after year as a barometer.

As coach Giessler stated, many years ago, when asked if  Bellmont Wrestling was a matter of life or death, "it's more important than that."!!!!!

Many thanks to all the Bellmont Wrestlers of today and yesteryear and the Coaching staff that has made everything happen.

UncleSam

I was in the 6th grade in  1986. I went to St. Bernadette in Indianapolis.  They hadn't had a team for decades, and I didn't know wrestling even existed.  They decided to start up a program, but sign ups came and went without me even realizing it.

One day we were all packed on the short bus(that was all we had) to go visit old folks at the nursing home, when our priest chased down the bus as it left the parking lot. He boarded the bus and asked if anyone else wanted to wrestle. Nobody responded. Then my friends asked me if I was signing up, and I found out most of them where , so I said "What the heck", I'll try it out.

That same year, my brother was a freshmen at Scecina, and was hand picked out of the hallway by the coach because they needed a 98 pounder.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.