WRESTLING WEDNESDSAY: Jeffersonville to try to make history Saturday with third

dstruck

WRESTLING WEDNESDSAY: Jeffersonville to try to make history Saturday with third straight sectional title

By KEVIN HARRIS

Kevin.Harris@newsandtribune.com The Jeffersonville News and Tribune Wed Jan 26, 2011, 12:22 AM EST

> SOUTHERN INDIANA ? The Jeffersonville wrestling team hopes Saturday will be a historic day for its program when it hosts the Jeff Sectional at Johnson Arena.

The Red Devils will try to win their third consecutive sectional title, which would be a first in team history. They also will attempt to have a regional qualifier in each of the 14 weight classes, which has never been done in the sectional?s existence. The top four grapplers in each weight class will advance to next Saturday?s Jeff Regional.

Another goal for Jeff will be to have 11 wrestlers in this year?s sectional finals. The Red Devils got 10 in the finals last season.

?Our expectations are to strive to have the goal of all the kids wrestling their best of the season so far,? Jeff head coach Danny Struck said. ?Jeffersonville has never won three sectionals in a row and that is our team goal for the day. Besides that, we have always had the goal of qualifying 14 to the regionals. It has never been done in our sectional history, and we believe we have a good shot of it this year.?

The Red Devils have 10 wrestlers seeded in the top two of their respective weight divisions. Jeff?s top seeds are Alonzo Shepherd (112 pounds), Kevim Castro (125), Renaldo Weekley (145), Elijah Curtley (189) and Ryan DeWitt (285). Five Devils are seeded second, who are Michael Vazquez (135), Tre Harbin (140), Brent Browner (152), Brandon Marlin (160) and Jimmy Pratt (215).

Struck thinks the sleeper to win a sectional title for Jeff is 130-pounder Jordan Schremp, who is seeded sixth.

?We believe that on a slightly above-average day that eight of our 10 top-two seeds should bring home titles, and on a great day we could have 10 champs,? Struck said. ?Some of them have to overcome previous losses. But my kids believe in themselves and I hope they come ready in the moments that count here, later in the season and in their lives.?

Based on the seedings, Floyd Central is expected to finish second.

The Highlanders have two No. 1 seeds in Terrence Kennedy (103) and George Emily (135). Three Floyd grapplers are seeded No. 2 in Jacob Cassady (119), Chase Herron (145) and Shane Sneed (171). Receiving No. 3 seeds for the Highlanders are Chris Whitley (112), Gus Schoenbaechler (140) and Andrew Sharp (285).

?My overall expectations are that every wrestler get or beat their seeds and try to qualify all 14 wrestlers to regionals, and we have never done that before,? Floyd Central head coach Brandon Sisson said. ?I believe it has been proven in the past that we do a great job as a program at peaking this time of year, and I look forward to seeing this team do the same.

?Terrence Kennedy, Jacob Cassady, George Emily, Chase Herron and Shane Sneed are the favorites to make it to the finals. But I think we have a chance at getting possibly three more in if we wrestle like we are capable.?

The seedings place Charlestown, which has four No. 1 seeds, third in the team standings. The top-seeded Pirates are Cory Suddeth (152), Jacob Hall (160), Ethan Bowen (171) and Logan McCutchen (215).

Despite no No. 2 seeds, Charlestown has four No. 3 seeds in Justin Wolf (125), Cameron Stuart (130), Ryan Miles (145) and Seth McCutchen (189).

?Our goals going into sectionals are to place in the top three as a team and send everyone to regionals,? Pirates? head coach Adam Doherty said ?Our best shot at sectional championships will be our four No. 1 seeds. But I think we have several wrestlers who are lower seeds that will be a factor.?

Charlestown should have momentum on its side after winning the Southern Indiana Wrestling Conference and Mid-Southern Conference championships the last two weekends.

?I think we are carrying a little momentum into this weekend?s sectionals,? Doherty said. ?After winning the SIWC and MSC tournaments the last two weekends, our kids seem more focused. Hopefully, we can peak at the right time.?

New Albany has only one No. 1 seed in sophomore Austin Jamison (119). A pair of Bulldogs received two seeds in seniors Zach Faith (189) and Jacob Mudd (285).

Christian Academy of Indiana senior Cory Neel (130) is the lone No. 1 seed for the Warriors. Three CAI wrestlers are seeded third in seniors Levi Speth (152) and Ethan Banet (135) and freshman Daniel Doty (103).

Senior Lane Massingham will lead New Washington as the team?s only top seed. Massingham (140) qualified for semistate last season.

Teammate Brady Meenach (125) is seeded second, while Mustang freshman Jacob Franklin (160) received a three seed. Earning No. 4 seeds for New Washington were Brandon Gonzalez (103) and Yancey Crase (130).

?The expectations of our kids at the sectional is easy ? qualify for the next level of competition first and then focus on bringing home championships,? Mustangs? head coach Jeremy Campbell said. ?Overall, our kids have put themselves in a good position to advance. It is now up to them to prove their seed in competition. Our No. 1 team goal is to be gritty, be competitive and demonstrate toughness.?

Providence?s highest-seeded wrestler is junior Brennan Gregory (130), who is seeded second. A pair of Pioneers are seeded fourth in Jared Griffith (135) and Jordan Kaelin (145).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.