Q and A with Jeffersonville's Renaldo Weekley (145)

dstruck

http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/NewAlbany/article/2010312020101

Q & A | Jeffersonville's Renaldo Weekley

Email to a friend

Share on Facebook

Jeffersonville senior Renaldo Weekley was named the outstanding wrestler during last month's Capital City Classic in Indianapolis after he won the 145-pound weight class. Weekley, a state qualifier last year at 135 pounds, is ranked ninth in the state in his weight division.

Renaldo Weekley is a senior at Jeff High School and one of the top Red Devils' wrestlers. (By Matt Stone, The Courier-Journal) Dec. 1, 2010

The Courier-Journal: You moved up from 135 to 145 pounds this year. What are the challenges of that jump?

Renaldo Weekley: It's more competitive and people are a lot bigger and stronger than last year. I was a big 135-pounder, but now I'm not cutting weight this year. I fit in just fine now.

C-J: How much will your experience from qualifying for the state finals last year help you now?

Weekley: After that experience, wrestling in front of so many people, I won't get nervous wrestling in front of a smaller crowd now. It's just fun.

C-J: What got you started in wrestling, and what do you enjoy about it?

Weekley: I started my freshman year. My older brother (Christian) and coach (Danny) Struck got me started. I liked it, and I got good pretty fast. I like the competition, the intensity, the aggressiveness. I like how it's so hard that a lot of people can't do it, and you can always get better at it.

C-J: You're ranked No. 9 in the state in your weight class. Does that create any pressure for you?

Weekley: Whenever I was a sophomore and had to wrestle someone that was ranked, I would wrestle them as hard as I could. So when I go into a match, I feel they know who am I, they know the ranking, and I will get their best shot.

C-J: What do you like to do away from wrestling?

Weekley: I like playing basketball a lot, hanging out with my friends, going out to eat, movies, Xbox -- everything normal.

C-J: As a senior, how do you display leadership?

Weekley: I make sure all the kids are listening and paying attention, make sure everyone is going hard in practice, make sure everyone keeps the locker room clean.

C-J: Who's been a role model for you?

Weekley: My mom. She's always there for me. She helps me out with everything I do and always tells me I can do it. She tells me to never give up.

C-J: What are your goals for this season?

Weekley: The dream of everyone is to wrestle at State. I just plan on doing the best I can, going 100 percent on the mat.

C-J: What has wrestling taught you as a life lesson?

Weekley: That I can always rely on myself. I won't ever give up on anything I do. It has given me confidence and heart.

C-J: What do you want to be doing in 10 years?

Weekley: I just want to be successful. I plan on trying to be an amateur MMA fighter as a side job. I think my wrestling background would make me pretty good.

-- Justin Sokeland

RENALDO WEEKLEY UP CLOSE

School: Jeffersonville.

Year: Senior.

Family: mother Fanetta; brothers Christian (19) and Xavier (15).

Student/athlete: Renaldo is a two-time HHC champion, a sectional champion, regional champion, a two-time semistate qualifier and a state qualifier. He's ranked ninth in the state at 145 pounds.

Coach Danny Struck: "Renaldo has enormous amounts of God-given talents. He picks up on moves faster than most, and he's truly starting to understand wrestling. He can see the second or third move coming in a match or drill set before most kids. It is really neat to see that thought process taking place. He is starting to show even more signs of leadership as the season progresses, learning he is a senior, and he could lead the team where he wants it to go."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.