The Pulse: What does it mean to be a wrestler?

Drooke

By Josh Liebman ? Special to The Open Mat

What does it mean to be a wrestler? To me it means a lot of things, right off the bat it means you are an original, any one that commits to being a wrestler is committing to go against the grain.

Wrestlers have a little empty room in there belly on thanksgiving while everyone else is stuffed. Wrestlers are home sleeping when others are out on the town. Wrestlers are in hot gyms in places like Fargo and Oklahoma City during the summer while their friends are on the beach at the Jersey shore or Venice beach. A wrestler is committed to winning for no other reason then they have a drive to be the best PERIOD.

But the most important thing about being a wrestler is you are a part of a family, a few years back I was in a airport wearing a tee shirt for Fowler wrestling ?school in Syracuse NY? a man came up to me and said hey are you a wrestler? I told him I no longer wrestled but I coached. He proceeded to tell me about how he wrestled in the 70?s and his sons were wrestlers now, Imagine if I was wearing a Yankees jersey would he have come up to me and asked if I played baseball? To me being a wrestler is about more than wins, losses championships, and broken hearts. It?s about more that making weight and getting seeded, it?s about more than pinning your opponent or fighting off your back. A wrestler is a part of the greatest family and fraternity in the world, the friends you make in wrestling are friends for life, and you can?t say that about basketball.

In the article that follows you will read what it means to these guys.... Jake Herbert, Quentin Wright, Dave Zabriskie, Andy Hrovat, and Josh Dziewa.

http://news.theopenmat.com/2010/10/the-pulse-what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-wrestler/

Reading this article makes me wonder and think of my kids. I for one was not a former wrestler,but a huge sports fan. Played and coached many sports, wrestling was never really introduced to me as a child. Nor do I think I had what it takes to be a wrestler. The first thought that comes to my mind when I meet a wrestler is "respect" just for all the reasons that are listed in the above article. My kids are in a fraternity, family of many present and former wrestlers.  Wrestling has been good to them and for me.  Listening to the boys from a distance always brings a smile to my face, when I hear such conversation  about how one fought off a take down or how the other got so upset for allowing  one to take the other down. So much pride comes from there voice.  I think to myself, what would it be like, if one would of never introduced the boys to this sport. Then I just say to myself, I am truly blessed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.