Reversal

Reversal

East?s Carlile, thought out for season after surgery, back on mat

BY BRIAN BENNETT bbennett@therepublic.com

Columbus East?s Jake Carlile wanted to build on a successful sophomore season that saw him advance to the IHSAA wrestling semistate. But reoccurring pain in his hip was thwarting his success. Finally, in late December,

Carlile made a difficult decision:

he would undergo surgery that would cost him the remainder of his season.

?I was kind of disappointed, because I was having a pretty good season so far,? Carlile said. ?But, I knew it was something I probably needed to get done in order to be able to wrestle next season.?

However, a few weeks and one quick recovery later, next year is now as Carlile and his Columbus East teammates prepare to wrestle in Saturday?s Jennings County Sectional.

Carlile, who is 15-9 on the season, is seeded third at 130 pounds and will face off against Columbus North?s Justin Aimers in the opening round.

Ready to go

Carlile?s surgery, which removed some damaged cartilage from his hip, was completed on Dec. 23. Less than three weeks later, he was back on the practice mat with eyes on participating in East?s dual match against Columbus North.

?(The doctor) said I?d had a really quick recovery, probably the best recovery he?d ever seen,? Carlile said. ?My flexibility and everything was about 100 percent.

?We had the North dual that Wednesday and I really wanted to be back for that, so I worked my hardest.

So, exactly three weeks after the surgery, Carlile was facing off against North?s Greg Johnson at 119 pounds. Carlile pinned Johnson in 2:59.

?Jake Carlile stepped up. He really big dogged it today,? East coach Chris Cooper said following the match.

Carlile has seen limited action since that meet, but is set to go in the tournament series. He said pain in the surgically repaired him hasn?t been a problem.

?When I first started to come back, it was still pretty sore and I was out of shape,? he said. ?But now, it doesn?t bother me at all.

?I?m still out of shape, but the hip doesn?t bother me at all.?

It will certainly be tested in the coming weeks. However, Carlile has an attainable goal set for himself in the state tournament that he thought he?d miss.

?I want to at least make it back to semistate,? he said. ?That?s where I was last year.?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.