ECI Wrestling

CoachRyan_Delta

The Delta Sectional has 13 State Qualifiers, second-most of any sectional and tied with Mishawaka.  (They're not bad.)

We had 5 Semi-state champs, 3 Runners-up, 2 Thirds, and 3 4ths. 

Yet, the star press ran an article about a month ago that said wrestling in this area is dead.

(Insert smiley with blank look on his face.)

Am I missing something here?  Because to me it looks like we are one of the best sectionals in the state.

You know what's really dead? Quality newspaper journalism. ;)

Sure, Delta and Muncie South's programs aren't the powerhouses they were in the 80s and early 90s. But that's a lot to ask of any program. Yorktown is a perennially strong team, and the Delta sectional shows that there's no shortage of top-notch individual wrestlers in the area.

Having said that, interest in wrestling among fans in the area is nowhere near what it was back in the day. Those Delta-Muncie South duels in the 80s packed the gymnasium. It's hard to imagine anything like that happening in Muncie these days, or anytime in the near future.

The Delta Sectional has 13 State Qualifiers, second-most of any sectional and tied with Mishawaka.  (They're not bad.)

We had 5 Semi-state champs, 3 Runners-up, 2 Thirds, and 3 4ths. 

Yet, the star press ran an article about a month ago that said wrestling in this area is dead.

(Insert smiley with blank look on his face.)

Am I missing something here?  Because to me it looks like we are one of the best sectionals in the state.

You obviously don't understand how important it is to read about a Ball State basketball team that loses every other game. That clearly takes presedence over everything ::) Its just amazing how there is a huge(but still bad) article last year about the Delaware County Tourney, but when we have a great showing at a huge level, there just isn't that much to say :'(

This is why I love this board...

Not to mention the Jay County sectional right up the road from Delta and Muncie. D0n't know off hand how many state qualifiers they have, but the Jay Co regional is one of the, if not the toughest in the state.

The Muncie paper is crap anyways... most of you in the same boat as me growing up there, we have seen many articles that made lil to no sense. The fact of the matter is that Wrestling will always be over shadowed by basketball and football, when in reality it is one of the toughest and most dignified sports. Turns boys to men!

The Star Press only sees Ball State's  losing programs and high school basketball, they just do not see this fine sport. Anyway I don't expect to see them around much longer becouse they can't sell papers. If they would open thier eyes and look at all the schools and the fine wrestling programs and outstanding athletes, great coaches and the people involved that put thier heart and souls into this sport in E.C.I. area they might be able to sell more papers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.