Skelton and Mascaro @ Northmont

Drooke

Did anyone else see this match or have any opinions about it?

I for one thought the lebanon wrestler should have had the opportunity to finish the takedown.

For those of you that didn't see it.

Skelton was awarded the takedown (he was in deep and finishing) with appprox. 10 seconds left in the 1st ot.

The match was stopped and the takedown was eliminated.  At that point they started the match back from neutral.

My question is Skelton had a major advantage at that point and was awarded the takedown.  When the call was reversed he lost the dominating position that he was in that imo would have led to a decisive tk with the time left in the match.

Just curious if anyone else here saw the match or had any of  other input.

yes i believe that skelton did win i had a front row seat to that match, if you watched closely skelton had control for about a 2 count and then mascaro sneaked his arm in between them and that was why the call was reversed i think that this was a bad call they should not have reversed the call but what is done is done, but might i add that skelton has improved a great deal since last season

I was there watching this match wow what a match but you cant let the ref loose it for you Skelton waited to long to get a takedown in regulation if you ask me he didnt have feet in to send it to Overtime but what done is done good luck to both at Semi State

I didn't think it was a takedown but I also think that Skelton should have had the chance to finish but the ref awarded two and then blew the match dead to discuss the takedown, ultimately taking it away. 

The biggest advantage Mascaro had was the Lebanon coach discussing the takedown for 3-4 minutes. Mascaro was on empty but he got an additional 3-4 minutes to rest and you could tell it helped him in the second OT. Nothing against the Lebanon coach, at the time, he had to argue the call. If Mascaro wrestles like that, no way he lives up to his #4 ranking. Good luck to both wrestlers this weekend at the New Castle semi state.

Skelton lost because the head referee was not competent.  He made the wrong call by giving the takedown with ten seconds left in the first OT and not letting Skelton finish it (which he would have in the las ten seconds of the match, I have no doubt).  After that, the guy looked to his assisting referee after he made every call in order to get a nod or shake of the head.  It was awful.  Hopefully, Skelton gets a chance for some redemption.

I was at the regional and witnessed the match.  It is pretty harsh to call an official incompetent.  This was a great match with two excellent wrestlers---pretty fast paced.  It is easy for us to watch and criticize but I thought the officials did an excellent job this past weekend.  I agree this match had some calls that the official would love to have back.=----but when you officiate this many close matches you are going to be off here and there,  I can tell you I have officiated and that it is much easier officiating as a coach---as you only have to watch one guy:)   

I looked at the draws and it is my hope that both wrestlers qualify to the state tournament---they are both very deserving.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.