Semi-state bracketing

indyshred

Being new to all of this I was wondering how they bracket out the Semi-states. Do they interweave kids from all 4 feeder regionals, or do they pit one regional against another in the top half and the other 2 regionals in the bottom half? Thanks.

The IHSAA will issue a template to all regionals showing the brackets.  A first place will wrestle a 4th place and seconds and thirds will go against each other in the first round.  The bracket could look like:

1A vs 4D

2C vs 3B

3C vs 2B

4A vs 1D

1B vs 4C

2A vs 3D

3D vs 2C

4B vs 1C

But the template is different for each weight class.  It's random as far as I know.

That's true.  I think I remember a situation like that several years ago when 4 sectionals fed into regional and only two advanced out of regional.  The two best wrestlers in the weight class would have been on the same side of the bracket, but one knew it took an injury default in the sectional finals to avoid a semi-finals match up.  That may have been when the match up became sealed until after the end of wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.