When to start a young wrestler?

inmarine77

Thank you again to all who chimed in on this subject. It is always wise to consult the salty dogs of the parenting world in these situations. Hopefully this will help some other young parents and remind others that there is a fine line between pushing and pressuring your children.  One of my biggest fears as a parent is  pushing my kid to hard in any direction or path that is not his /her own.

I have wrestled and coached for 20 years and I have 2 sons, one which is 10 and has wrestled since he was 5, the another is 9 and has played basketball the past 2 years but he first wrestled the biggest thing I can say is dont push.  My 10 yr old loves it didnt have real success in the bigger touraments until just a couple years ago but kept working hard to get better and just loves the sport everything about it.  My 9 yr old placed 7th in the state as a 4 year old and was hard to beat but never really took to it, just did it because dad and his big brother did it when he told me he didnt want to do it anymore I said fine and still enjoys going to watch and support his brother just enjoys shooting a jumper with time running out better.  Simply stated make it theirs not yours and let them find their way, but by all means nudge dont push them in the direction you feel would be good for them.  And if they do wrestle always smile win or loss, they will decide to attempt to be great or do something else.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.