Jeff Wrestlers have good summer

dstruck

H.S. WRESTLING: Several Jeff wrestlers had an eventful summer

Athletes make rounds at competitions, camps, abroad

By GREG MENGELT greg.mengelt@newsandtribune.com

JEFFERSONVILLE ? When Jeffersonville High School began classes last week, several Red Devil wrestlers had a lot to talk about.

At least 20 Jeff wrestlers participated in offseason events or trips, ranging from state championship victories to overseas trips.

Jeff, which lost 16 seniors from last year?s team, is expected to have a dip in its performance next season. But with the effort the wrestlers put in this summer ? including 15 who had perfect attendance during the summer workouts and weightlifting ? Red Devils coach Danny Struck is re-evaluating his team for 2012-13.

?We have some big shoes to fill, so the kids decided to do something about it,? Struck said. ?I honestly thought next year we might struggle, as it will be the most inexperienced team I have had in a long time. But I have kids who have worked hard to pick up the slack.?

Here?s a look at some of the accomplishments and trips by Jeff wrestlers this summer:

? June 6-10 ? Brennan Robinson, who is a freshman at Jeff, won a state championship in Greco-Roman wrestling and represented Indiana at the Schoolboy National Championships in Indianapolis. Dylan Jolley-Little ? a seventh-grader at Parkview Middle School in Jeff ? was state runner-up.

? June 10-21 ? Defending sectional champion Gavan Jolley-Little went on two trips during the summer. The first to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., for the Cadet National Duals. Jolley-Little went 14-2 in 16 matches. From there, he went on to Fargo, N.D., where he wrestled in the Asics/Vaughn Cadet Junior National Championships. After going 0-4 last year at the event, Jolley-Little was the USAW Cadet Folkstyle National Champion, placed 4th in Freestyle in the nation, and 6th in Greco Roman

?Gavan had quite a year,? Struck said. ?[The championship] makes Gavan 9, 10th and 11th  All-American in Jeffersonville wrestling history. Gavan has had a tremendous year of growth for someone who went 0-4 nationally last year.?

The championship also earned him an automatic bid to the Olympic Training Center.

?He knows this will get him where he wants to be some day,? Struck said.

? June 13-16 ? Eighteen Jeff wrestlers went to Indiana University wrestling camp to show support for Alonzo Shepherd, who will join the Hoosier wrestling program this fall. Those wrestlers were Robinson, Xavier Weekley, Oscar DeLeon, Devyn Long, Gary Gaines, David Fridley, Jack Ferraro, Cody McCoy, Davis Elliot, Noah Day, Josh Richie, Ryan Kopp, Josh McCorkle, Eddie Kaster, Carson Somerville, Tristan Sellmer and Jasi Coureur.

? June 14-16 ? Sophomore Jasmine Fuller ? Jeff?s second girls? USA Wrestling All-American and a state champion ? went to Hoosier Elite wrestling camp, which was led by Navy coach Lee Miracle.

? June 18 ? Gaines traveled with Team Indiana to the Junior Duals in Oklahoma City. Gaines was the runner-up at the Junior Greco-Roman state championships.

?I thought I was pretty good, but this gave me new goals,? Gaines said after the experience.

? June 24-July 5 ? Sophomore Stevie Jones and junior Brandon Spangler spent days at the Disney Duals in Orlando, where they trained and wrestled 10 dual meets at the Disney Sports Complex.

? July 23-Aug. 4 ? Elliot was selected to travel to Japan as part of the Indiana State Wrestling Association/USA Wrestling Cultural Exchange team, along with 10 wrestlers from across Indiana. He was selected based on his wrestling ability, his sportsmanship and his academics.

Elliot is currently ranked No. 1 in his sophomore class at Jeff High.

? July - Daniel Thompson spent the week at one of the premiere wrestling camps in the country, the Jeff Jordan wrestling camp, ran by Olympian Jeff Jordan

? July 29 - 14 Jeffersonville wrestlers spent the weekend at the Ohio State Fair picking up 5 first place medals in this huge competition

? Aug. 3 ? Struck was invited to speak at the National Wrestling Coaches Association National Convention in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He spoke about ?Getting your athlete recruited to college,? the ?assault on the forfeit,? trying to make sure all of program?s rosters are filled? and ?engaging the community.?

More than 270 coaches, including 240 college coaches, were in attendance at the convention.

?I was very honored that the National Wrestling Coaches Association flew me down there to speak,? Struck said. ?I got to meet a lot of my wrestling heroes. It was very humbling to give them my ideas.?

Louis Rosbottom (ISWA Chair, and former Team Jeff President) travels to Thailand in September, as the "presidents choice" for the US Delegate to represent the Junior World Team in Thailand

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.