Central Indiana leaves with six State champions in wrestling Saturday

AJ

http://www.fox59.com/sports/wxin-021912-ihsaa-state-wrestling-central-indiana2-recap-story,0,315282.story

Fox59.com

2:08 a.m. EST, February 20, 2012

All Muncie Southside Junior Isaiah Bradley was hoping for was a window of hope. After two rounds in the 152 pound championship match against Franklin Community's Luke Kriech, Bradley found himself down 1-0 with the clock dwindling his championship dreams away. Each move went for naught, and despite the center-stage spotlight at Bankers Life Fieldhouse shining down on him, Bradley defied basic human instinct.

Instead of trying to force Kriech into making an escape, Bradley continued to wait for his ability to capitalize on the moment, and with 30 seconds left, he made the most of the opportunity.

"He got in on my leg," said Bradley. "And I was just trying to get my escape so I could get my one point and for him to let go. But then I saw the position to score two, and I went after him. I scored, and I won the match."

Bradley used the momentum to take Kreich down, and his last-second heroics capped off a perfect 44-0 season on Saturday night. It was the first State championship by a wrestler in Muncie Southside history, and was just one of the many highlights from an athlete from Central Indiana on Saturday night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't Wait for School Closings! Sign-up to Receive School Closing & Delays Text Alerts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where Bradley needed all the time possible to finally take the lead, Perry Meridian Senior Jared McKinley (132 champion) needed as little of time possible to defeat South Adams Senior Todd Batt, finishing the match in three rounds with a 9-2 victory for his second individual title.

"You know I just wanted to work on my feet and take him down," said McKinley, who won the 125 championship in 2011. "I don't know what I was trying to do out there to be honest, I just wanted to win. I did what I was trained to do to the best of my ability, and I came out a champion."

Yorktown's Devon Jackson had been in the center spotlight twice before, but had come up short in a 5-3 loss to Indian Creek's Ethan Raley in the 135 championship for his second runner-up finish. Jackson however left no doubt about Greenfield-Central's Josh Farrell, taking down Farrell early and often to finishin off a perfect 52-0 season and his first ever blue ribbon in the 138 title match.

"The top of the podium feels the best man," said Jackson with a smile. "I don't like to be a step down from the champion, I like to be the champion."

The only decision by pinfall of the night came from Fishers Junior Mitch Sliga, who became the Tigers' first ever State champion in wrestling with a victory over Merrillville Senior Kourtney Berry in the 195 competition. Sliga held Berry down by placing his arms behind Berry's thighs and just pushing his weight down, and eventually pinned his shoulders in the process.

"It feels amazing," said Sliga. "It means all of the hard work has finally paid off. All of my coaches, like all the help I have got, has just finally come together."

Indiaanpolis Catheral Senior Brian Harvey finished an unbeaten season Saturday night by defeating New Palestine Senior Connor Robinson for the 160 title by the tally of 12-4, while Center Grove Senior Sean Mappes also finished without any losses with in a 7-6 victory over Perry Meridian's Jake Masengale for the 170 championship.

State Championship Match Results 106 Stevan Micic 10 Hanover Central (47-0) def. Nathan Boston 10 Lawrence North (44-1), dec. 5-1. 113 Jarred Brooks 12 Warsaw (35-0) def. Schuyler Phillips 11 Yorktown (47-2), dec. 18-6. 120 Paul Petrov 12 Hanover Central (47-0) def. Brenden Campbell 12 New Castle (53-3), dec. 14-11. 126 Kyle Ayersman 12 Lake Central (52-0) def. Cody LeCount 10 Perry Meridian (46-1), dec. 1-0. 132 Jared McKinley 12 Perry Meridian (48-1) def. Todd Batt 12 South Adams (45-3), dec. 9-2. 138 Devon Jackson 12 Yorktown (52-0) def. Josh Farrell 11 Greenfield-Central (39-4), major dec. 12-2. 145 Jason Tsirtsis 12 Crown Point (42-0) def. Vincent Corsaro 10 Indianapolis Cathedral (35-4), tech. fall, 22-7. 152 Isaiah Bradley 11 Muncie Southside (44-0) def. Luke Kriech 11 Franklin Community (35-6), dec. 2-1. 160 Brian Harvey 12 Indianapolis Cathedral (47-0) def. Connor Robinson 12 New Palestine (39-9), major dec. 12-4. 170 Sean Mappes 12 Center Grove (46-0) def. Jake Masengale 11 Perry Meridian (47-2), dec. 7-6. 182 Tanner Lynde 12 Delphi (52-0) def. Lukas Schaeffer 12 Westfield (53-1), dec. 8-1. 195 Mitch Sliga 11 Fishers (49-0) def. Kourtney Berry 12 Merrillville (32-1) Pin 3:20. 220 Tyler Kral 12 Crown Point (41-2) def. Joe Gallegos 12 South Bend Clay (45-3), dec. 3-2. 285 Abraham Hall 12 Bremen (50-0) def. Dominique Stauffer 12 Elkhart Central (38-2), dec. 3-1.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.