Youth Wrestling Overseas

It sure is neat to see Kayla Miracle and Mitch Sliga earning the opportunity to wrestle in Baku, Azerbaijan.  Best of luck to them both, and I know they will make Indiana and the USA proud.

I have wondered over the years what countries like Turkey, Russia, Azerbaijan's youth competition circuit looks like.  Do they have "local" tournament circuits like we have across the USA in March, April, May, June or July?  If a kid from the USA wanted to make the trip in the off season and wrestle in serious "local/regional" competitions in Europe or the Middle East for a week or two, would they be permitted (and accepted) to do so? I guess I am referring more to Schoolboy, Cadet and Junior age groups.

I seem to rememer back in the early 1980's... David Locke of Delta traveled to Sweden (I think) to wrestle in the World Schoolboy Championships.   

If anyone has any insight, knowledge, or expeience with this, I would enjoy hearing about how to go about pursuing such an overseas venture at the "local/regional" level.  

CoachMcCormick

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.