IHSWCA update

Cale Hoover

4/25/2011

Wrestling Community:

I hope all of you are enjoying your wet spring weather around the state.  Club season is in full gear with the state tournament series just around the corner.  This will be my last update to you as Trent McCormick took over the reigns as president this past Friday at the Spring Clinic.

Our proposal meeting took place in March.  We decided to take a similar approach to that of two years ago and present a list of concerns for the IHSAA?s consideration.

They included:

1. Team state changes (including classing, timing, and structure)

2. Expansion of the sectional entry list

3. Improvements to the weight management program (specifically the usability of the NWCA?s software)

The discussion on team state became very heated.  It was very evident it was not a favorite of several IHSAA board members.  We discussed our ideas for improvements and attempted to defend the tournament as best as we could.  Their major complaint is still the fact that numerous teams have not fielded their best team at the event.  After the meeting we requested a meeting with Asst. Commissioner Faulkens who agreed.

We met with Mr. Faulkens two weeks ago and he was very straight forward.  It was clear that he is a fan of the team tournament.  However, he was straight-forward and honest with us.  The team tournament will no longer exist after the 2011-12 season.  Mr. Faulkens recommended that the team tournament be taken over by the IHSWCA.  We were disappointed to hear this news; however, appreciative that we now know what must be done.  

Many discussions and decisions regarding a possible IHSWCA team state tournament have to be held.  What I can tell you is that something will be put together and teams will be competing for the title by 2012-13.  How this tournament will be structured is a long way from being decided.  It will need to be held during the regular season as by-laws would not allow it to be held on its current date.

Points two and three were taken into consideration and we can expect to see the following changes in the future.  The sectional entry list should be expanded to forty-two slots up from twenty-eight.  Also, expect to see the IHSAA unveil their weight management software by the 2012-13 season at the latest.  It may even be ready for this season.  The software will be Excel based and sheet is much easier for coaches to use.

It has been an honor to serve as your president.  I wish President McCormick and newly elected Vice-President Danny Struck and Secretary-Treasurer Trent Staggs the good luck.

Best wishes to all.

Cale Hoover

President, IHSWCA

Hooverc1@centergrove.k12.in.us

317-881-0581 ext. 4287

317-502-8796

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.