scratching a ref

Fn Central

i really dont understand why the ishaa allows refs to be scratched  what other sport allows it  none that i know of  the refs as ss & st aare supposed to the best the state has  if there the best then there should no be any scratches the finals are not seeded there a random draw and sho should be refs the only people who should be able to scratch are refs to many times i have heard he is a good ref but i dont wnat him to work my matchs

if a coach thinjks a ref is not the right for his matchs dont vote him there

football allows coaches to scratch or blackball refs...coaches fill out an evaluation card and in a sense can blackball a whole crew.....basketball is probably the same way.

awood2 not to argue with a ref of your statuare all sports can be effected by the actions of one ref in diving everthing is subjective did the diver hit the water square how big was the splash was rotation full  one ten point can mean the difference between the top spot and not medalling gymnatsics is the same yet those sports dont allow scratching a ref

You hrew the baby out with the bath water when you introduced DIVING and GYMNASTICSin to a sports discussion!!  They call them JUDGES!!

(P.S. It is a commonly known "Wood law" that anything that you can't get ahold of someone is not considered a REAL sport!) ;D

As someone posted earlier this post, I scratched Frankie at Semi-State one year and he actually sought me out and asked me why I scratched him. He had been at the Castle Regional that year and I thought his style didn't mesh with our kid and his "to go" round match up. I felt uneasy with having to explain that, but I did and he seemed to understand.

My bro. always scratches himself (that doesn't sound good Chucky...lol) when he has our Semi-State from any of my kids' matches.

I don't care if I, personally, cannot stand a ref....if he is going to do a good job...I want him on our mat. That is how I always voted as well. JMO

...... He had been at the Castle Regional that year and I thought his style didn't mesh with our kid and his "to go" round match up. I felt uneasy with having to explain that, but I did and he seemed to understand.

"Style" is a curious label.  What is it that coaches prefer in their officials?  Although the obvious answer is competence and professionalism, it still amazes me that personalities play such a large role.  Some pre-tournament meetings remind me of packs of dogs, sniffing one another's behinds, looking for weakness and this continues throughout the day, while others mimic Stalin's politburo meetings. "I'll get you later!".  As soon as one barks or snaps at the other, or lifts a leg to mark territory, all bets are off.  We all have our own styles, coaches and officials.  I have witnessed snapping and barking on each side and said to myself, "Man I would love to talk to a coach like that!" but just cannot bring myself to that level.  They will tell you that the scratches do not bother them, POPPYCOCK.  Most officials work hard for advancment votes, a scratch, regardless, should be bothersome.  It is the professionalism that keeps it from escalating and lingering.

Good points Arbitro. Couldn't think of a better word than "style." In that situation our kid was a legger, and he relied on wearing you down from the top. Frankie was quick, in my mind to stalemate you in that situation, not in our best interest to keep going through restarts, so we scratched him. Results: the South Dearborn kid was better with his legs. He got the takedown early and rode us out. He takes down we ride him out. Third period down 2-0, we take down get rode out for another 2 minutes. Maybe I shouldn't have scratched him????

Good points Arbitro. Couldn't think of a better word than "style." In that situation our kid was a legger, and he relied on wearing you down from the top. Frankie was quick, in my mind to stalemate you in that situation, not in our best interest to keep going through restarts, so we scratched him. Results: the South Dearborn kid was better with his legs. He got the takedown early and rode us out. He takes down we ride him out. Third period down 2-0, we take down get rode out for another 2 minutes. Maybe I shouldn't have scratched him????

The old adage....."Be careful what you wish for"  :-\ This goes for officials also.  I know of very few who do not want the tough matches. 8)

I think both comments support my point.  I prefer to use the words "how the official conducts the match" rather than style.  When I think of style I think of the racks of Easter clothes at Kohls!  Meanwhile, it shouldn't matter whether you scratch an official.  Like you said his 'style' didn't match well with your wrestler's strengths.  Abritrio, I loved your pack of dogs analogy!  But sniffers  ;D  Sorry I didn't answer your email today.

Now for the most unbelievable statement I have ever typed: Abritrio and twigt, I agree with you  ???

Wood Law - if you can't put your hands on someone, it's not a sport...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.