Analysis of Iowa vs Purdue by tjbenton16

Purdue Analysis from HawkeyeReport.com by poster tjbenton 16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

125: Akif Eren (SO) 8-12 on the year and unranked. 0-5 against top 20 competition this year including losses to #5 Angel Escobedo (LBF), #6 James Nicholson (10-2), #11 Rollie Peterkin (7-2), #13 Brad Pataky (8-0), and #12 Anthony Robles (LBF). Does not have any wins against anyone worth noting mostly guys in lower divisions and smaller schools. Charlie should have no trouble here and will def. score some bonus points for us. Not sure that Falck will be able to get a fall here or not but will at least come away with the major. I will stick with the major here just because Charlie has not pinned a ton of opponents this year. IA 4-0

133: Carson Beebe (FR) 11-6 on the year and unranked. Comes from a large family of wrestlers that some of you may have seen wrestle at either Purdue or Central Michigan. His brother Conor Beebe is currently #19 at this weight. 0-2 versus top 20 competition losing to #9 Jake Strayer by technical fall and to #3 Jimmy Kenndey by major. Daniel has been on a tear as of late and Beebe will not fair well in this match especially being in Carver. Dennis with a big victory here getting the technical fall with back points. IA 9-0

141: Juan Archuleta (SO) 15-8 on the year and unranked. 0-2 against top competition losing to #7 Ryan Williams 6-3 and to #19 Chris Diaz 7-4, also has a loss to Dan LeClere earlier this year 2-1. Not many good wins for this Purdue wrestler either but keeps matches close against almost all of his opponents. Tsirtsis will control this match no problem but will have to work fast if he is going to pull off bonus points here. Tsirtsis with the win but only a decision here. IA 12-0

149: Jake Patacsil (SR) 27-4 on the year and currently #7 at this weight. 2x NCAA Qualifier and also placed 4th and 7th at Big Tens. Having another spectacular year with lots of bonus points being racked up. Only losses coming to #6 Bryce Saddoris (4-3), #20 Peter Yates (9-4), #5 Kyle Ruschell (LBF), and #4 Lance Palmer (8-5), while he has wins over #17 Jason Chamberlain, #5 Kyle Ruschell, #10 Cesar Grajales, #11 Matt Kyler, #16 Heinrich Barnes, and #12 Kyle Borshoff. Certainly a good amount of wins over top competition but what is even more impressive is that he has 11 TF?s already this year. This guy has a nasty tilt and is very mean on top. Last year Metcalf wrestled him in the Midland finals and majored him, I would expect the same this year. Patacsil will most likely be on the award stand with Metcalf in March but he is not at Brent?s level. Metcalf with the major. IA 16-0

157: Colton Salazar (SO) 11-8 on the year and unranked coming into this meet. 0-3 against top 20 competition losing to all three by major decision (#2 Poeta, #4 Leen, #17 Johnstone). Ballweg and Salazar look to be pretty even when it comes to the type of competition each of them can handle. I don?t like picking against Matt every meet but he just lacks defense and hasn?t shown much of an offense either. He is making progress but needs to really step up for us coming into March. It would be really nice to at least qualify 10. Salazar by decision. IA 16-3

165: Luke Manuel (SO) 21-9 on the year and currently #16 in the nation. Qualified for NCAA Tournament last year and also placed 3rd in the Big Ten. Manuel really came on late last year and impressed me, and actually put on a pretty good performance for a freshman at nationals. 2-8 against top 20 competition with the wins coming over #Galante and #14 Rendos. Losses this year coming to #2 Sponseller (2x), #4 Fay, #6 Dwyer, #7 Reader, #11 Brown, #15 Smith-Bergsrud, and #20 Vallimont. Another low scoring snoozefest here Im afraid. Morningstar is the better wrestler in this match but needs to learn his lesson and open up the offense. Say that every week but some things never change. Morningstar by close decision AGAIN. IA 19-3

174: Nick Corpe (JR) 10-8 on the year and unranked. Only credentials to date would be an 8th place finish at Big Ten tournament in 2006. 0-3 against top competition this year losing to #15 Trevor Perry, #16 Quentin Wright, and Borschel; Jay Borschel beat Corpe 7-2 earlier this year. Not sure if we will see JBo on Friday night or not, they said that he was drilling late last week already and was supposed to be ready for this dual. I think either way, if we see Covington or Borschel, we will get a decision out of this match. IA 22-3

184: AJ Kissel (SO) 24-7 on the year and ranked #14 in the nation. Qualified for NCAA Tournament last year by placing 7th at the conference tournament. 1-6 against top competition, the lone win coming over #16 Justin Kerber 8-2. Losses this year coming to #10 Caputo (2x), #12 Blanton (2x), and #13 Biondo. Sunday night against Ohio State, Kissel forfeited to Pucillo due to a minor injury that had been lingering and the fact that the meet was getting out of reach for the Boilermakers. Keddy always wrestles well infront of the home crowd and Kissel will just not be able to keep the pace the Keddy brings. With a lingering injury maybe being a factor I am going with the major here. IA 26-3

197: Logan Brown (SO) 24-8 on the year and currently #13 in the nation at 197. Also qualified for NCAA by placing 5th at the Big Tens. 2-3 on the year against top 20 competition beating #14 Anderson (3-1) and #4 Askren (Pin 6:51). Im pretty sure that Askren was winning the match for the most part when Brown put Max onto his back. Brown is a quality wrestler but I feel that he is overrated at #13 in the nation. On paper this would be an upset win for Beatty but I think that Chad will come out and take care of business in Carver. Beatty with the decision here. IA 29-3

HWT: Chris Kasten (JR) 17-10 on the year and unranked this year. Placed 8th last year at the Big Ten Tournament, 0-3 against top competition this year losing to #10 Wise,#9 Massey, and #8 Shaeffer. Not sure who Coach Brands is going to send out against Kasten whether we see Jordan Johnston or possibly Brodie Ambrose again. Either way I think that they will put up a great fight but the fact that they are giving up so much weight is just going to be too much for either of them. Kasten just with a decision here though. IA 29-6

Good summary, I could see PU not getting a single win but with Iowa's 157 and question about heavy, your score is possible. I really think that the 165 will help all the people visiting to take an extra break because the match won't be decided until the last minute of the third. These two wrestlers are similar with their low scoring matches.