Barlow takes out states best at conference

Bx4

Barlow takes out state?s best at conference tournament

Panther claims 130-pound title; North?s Miracle wins 112 in Conference Indiana meet

By Jim Gordillo 331-4355 | jgordillo@heraldt.com

January 18, 2009

Story tools:

South wrestler Brannigan Barlow and his dad were separated by a thousands miles Saturday, but they were together on one thing.

Barlow, a junior, came into the 130-pound bracket at the Conference Indiana Meet at South as the third seed and only recently starting to channel the energy that earned him a semistate berth last year.

After a pin in his opener, Barlow went on to beat the wrestlers ranked No. 2 and 1 in the state at 130 by IndianaMat.com, decisioning top-ranked D?Marcus Spencer of Pike, 6-3 in the final. That and a title at 189 by Darren Eads helped the Panthers place an expected third in the team standings while North was fourth.

Then came the phone call to his father, who is in the Army bomb squad and stationed in Maryland and gets home whenever he can. He?s been assigned to the Secret Service this weekend to make sure Barack Obama?s inauguration is secure.

With mom videotaping the whole thing, Barlow told his dad the good news. A late two-point reversal had clinched the title over Spencer.

?He had a hard time believing it,? Barlow said. ?He said, ?Do you realize this means you could be a state champion?? So we?re on the same page.?

Barlow (27-4) was ranked seventh statewide coming in and now his lofty goal seems even more achievable. Spencer?s only two losses had been to the defending state champ.

?I know that I can accomplish anything,? Barlow said before talking to he dad. ?I can be a state champ. I beat the No. 1 and 2 wrestlers. It?s overwhelming. I?m still taking it all in.?

?He?s been coming on since the Mishawaka match,? South coach Royce Deckard said. ?He was at 135 and now he?s more where he should be. He wrestled with a hunger last year and he came out flat this year. But that Mishawaka match turned things around.?

Perry Meridian dominated as expected, winning eight titles to score 251 points to outdistance Columbus North (181.5) and South (170).

North placed five in championship matches but won only one, to place fourth with 151 points, tying its highest finish while scoring its most points. The Cougars were also fourth in 2005.

?I?m real pleased with our performance,? North coach Perry Summitt said. ?I was hoping we?d have a little more, but we fell off in the wrestlebacks. We had a lot in the finals so I can?t complain.

?Coming off the Edgewood win, we had good days all across the board. We had some great early matches. It was definitely a step in the right direction.?

The Cougars? lone champ was Shawn Miracle, a 103-pound champion last year while at South who came back to win the 112 bracket as the No. 3 seed. The junior was actually moved up to No. 2 when top-seeded Francisco Colon of Columbus opted out with an injured elbow.

?Just like last year, when I saw I wasn?t the top seed I was disappointed in myself,? said Miracle, who had hoped for another crack at Colon. ?I needed to prove myself that I?m No. 1 in this tournament.?

Pike?s Jamel Hill was elevated to top dog, but Miracle handled him easily in the final, 8-0.

?I?m amazed at that final,? Summitt said. ?He was flawless with his set up and movement. He could not have wrestled much better.?

South?s Eads rolled through the 189 field before pulling out a 5-2 win over Lawrence Central?s Daniel Sandberg with an escape and a reverse in the third period.

?Eads wrestled smart matches all day,? Deckard said. ?He did what he was supposed to do.?

Several other Bloomington wrestlers were stung in the finals.

The CI meet has been one of frustration for Arthur, who placed third as a freshman and now second three years in a row after Columbus? Jowan Gill, the only opponent to beat the top-seeded Arthur this year, did it again after a two-point takedown in the first period. That?s a big lead at the 285 level and Arthur had to take the kind of chance that led to being pinned in 4:46.

?He?s athletic, short, compact and hard to get under and finish moves,? Arthur said. ?No excuses. He beat me. He brought it to me. The only thing you can say is that I want to win when it counts (regionals).?

North freshman Sean Jewart was pinned in the 119 final, junior Michael Brown was pinned at 125, sophomore Garrett Goldman lost 15-0 at 171 and junior Jake VanDeventer was thumped 9-2 at 215.

South, meanwhile, lost several close finals matches were controversial calls made huge differences.

In the 103 title match, freshman Jacob Boomsma?s opponent was awarded an escape point while they were rolling out of bounds in a 3-2 loss. Top-seeded Terry Terrell lost 5-2 at 160 when a two-point take down was awarded to Perry Meridian?s Cory Hudgens, who had a hold of Terrell?s leg as they fell out of bounds with 51 seconds left in a 1-1 match.

Deckard also disagreed with a takedown call in Ethan Farmer?s 7-6 loss in the third-place match at 119

?That?s what I tell me kids, you can?t let a referee make a call that will decide the match,? Deckard said.

Jade Prieboy fell 6-4 in the 152 final. Ben Farmer won 4-2 for third at 140, Spencer Boyd pinned North?s Ethan Oppenlander for third at 145 and Tito Valentin took third at 215 with a 6-4 win to bolster the Panthers? effort.

CONFERENCE INDIANA MEET

Perry Meridian 251 | Pike 133 1/2

Columbus North 181 1/2 | Franklin Central 115 1/2

South 170 | Southport 86 1/2

North 151 | Lawrence Central 85

103: Jared McKinley, PM, p. Sam Summitt, BN, 1:30

Jacob Boomsma, BS, p. Kyle Crites, LC, :28

Devon Orben, CN, d. Summitt, 6-4

Boomsma p. Alonzo Calloway, Pk, :47

McKinley d. Boomsma, 3-2 (final)

112: Kaleb Kemp, FC, d. Kayne Pike, BS, 9-0

Shawn Miracle, BN, p. Griffin Rudisill, Sp, 3:07

Rudisill d. Pike, 5-2

Miracle d. Kemp, 11-0

Miracle d. Jamel Hill, Pk, 8-0 (final)

119: Sean Jewart, BN, p Ethan Farmer, BS, 3:55

Jewart d. Caleb Albertson, CN, 4-0

Farmer d. Michael Kistner, Sp, 8-0

Farmer p. Aaron Handley, Pk, 2:28

Jamahl Crouch, LC, d. Farmer, 7-6, (third)

Jason Simmons, PM, p. Jewart, :33 (final)

125: Austin Marshall, Sp, p. Trevor Poplewko, BS, 1:19

Michael Brown, BN, p. Alex Kruse, FC, 1:25

Poplewko d. Cole Fazekus, LC, 7-3

Brown d. Kirk Johnson, PM, 5-3

Johnson d. Poplewko, 11-0

Poplewko d. Kruse, 5-2 (fifth)

Marshall p. Brown, 1:56 (final)

130: D?Marcus Spencer, Pk, p. Dru Spires, BN, :47

Brannigan Barlow, BS, p. Josh Dossey, FC, 3:51

Jordan East, Sp, p. Spires, 1:37

Barlow d. Sampson Cook, PM, 10-4

Barlow d. Spencer, 6-3 (final)

135: Chris Goodwin, PM, d. Sam Horrocks, BS, 9-1

Kyle Ettner, FC, p. Adam Joraanstad, BN, 2:58

Brian Boucher, Sp, d. Horrocks, 7-5

Joraanstad d. John Standley, LC, 3-2

Justin Aimers, CN, p. Joraanstad, 2:20

Boucher p. Joraanstad, :48 (fifth)

Goodwin tf. Ettner, 19-2 (final)

140: Jacob Tonte, PM, p. Connor McMasters, BN, :58

Ben Farmer, BS, p. Hayden Cook, Sp, 1:03

Nick Horton, FC, p. McMasters, 1:56

Farmer d. Horton, 3-1

Farmer d. Dominique Butts, LC, 4-2 (third)

Tonte p. Jacob Milenbaugh, CN, 3:57 (final)

145: Ethan Oppenlander, BN, p. Austin Allen, Sp, :42

Marcus Wadell, CN, d. Spencer Boyd, BS, 10-2

Boyd p. Allen, 2:18

Wadell d. Oppenlander, 10-1

Oppenlander p. Darius Rose, Pk, 2:04

Boyd p. Kenny O?Brien, FC, 2:58

Boyd p. Oppenlander, 3:50 (third)

Jacob Tasseff, PM, d. Wadell, 3-2 (final)

152: Allen Cox, BN, p. Clay Labarr, LC, :48

Jade Prieboy, BS, p. Raymond Martin, Pk, 3:47

Blake Wood d. Cox, 10-4

Prieboy d. Gabe Holt, CN, 6-3

Cox p. Martin, 2:56

Cox d. Holt, 4-3 (third)

Wood d. Prieboy, 6-4 (final)

160: Terry Terrell, BS, won by forfeit

Alan McNeal, Sp, p. Branson Gilliland, BN, 1:08

Logan Harrell, CN, p. Gilliland, :45

Terrell d. Matt Knox, FC, 3-2

Cory Hudgens, PM, d. Terrell, 5-2 (final)

171: Jordan Robinson, PM, d. Joey Todd, BS, 11-2

Garrett Goldman, BN, p. Erick Zeleya, Pk, 1:37

Todd d. Zeleya, 8-1

Austin Enghauser, LC, p. Todd, 4:40

Goldman d. Robinson, 1-0

Todd d. Joe Land, Sp, 8-7 (fifth)

Gabe Watson, CN, d. Goldman, 12-0 (final)

189: Darren Eads, BS, p. Peaire Hosea, Pk, 1:59

Austin Netherton, FC, p. Sam Deckard, BN, 4:19

Hosea p. Deckard, :35

Eads d. Netherton, 11-0

Eads d. Daniel Sandberg, LC, 5-2 (final)

215: Patrick Alderson, Pk, d. Tito Valentin, BS, 8-6

Jake VanDeventer, BN, won by forfeit

Valentin won by forfeit

Valentin d. John Cleary, Sp, 3-2

VanDeventer d. Alderson, 10-1

Valentin d. Alderson, 6-4 (third)

Chris Schaefer, PM, d. VanDeventer, 9-2 (final)

285: Joe Arthur, BN, p. Vincent Parmer, Sp, 1:45

Eric Thigpen, LC, p. Jeremiah Carpenter, BS, 5:06

Jamill Jackson, Pk, p. Carpenter, 2:43

Arthur p. Zach Kirages, FC, 1:54

Jowan Gill, CN, p. Arthur, 4:46 (final)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.