CHS WRESTLING: Brock reaches milestone

18702a.jpg

Crawfordsville senior Chaz Brock became only the fourth wrestler in school history to earn 100 career wins.

WRESTLING INTO HISTORY

(CRAWFORDSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLERS WITH 100 OR MORE CAREER WINS)

1. Jared Tribbett (2005 graduate) 115

2. Doug Haslam (1985 graduate) 111

3. Ty Cohee (2002 graduate) 108

4. Chaz Brock (2008 graduate) 105*  (still wrestling)

CHS senior becomes only fourth wrestler in school history to reach 100 wins

By John Groth

Sports Editor

Once he reached the 100-win milestone, Chaz Brock wasn't done dropping opponents.

He had a Lafayette Jeff Holiday Duals title to win Wednesday and there wasn't time to reflect on the accomplishment.

Brock took down five more and then took home the 189-pound tournament title.

There's something more driving the Crawfordsville High School senior wrestler this season.

He wants to reach the Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) State finals again - and this time finish as a State champion.

"I knew would reach 100 [wins]. But I didn't know till the day after I got done wrestling. I was like 'oh that's nice,'" said Brock, who sports a 22-1 record so far this year at 189 pounds and won his weight class with a 9-0 record in this week's Lafayette Jeff Holiday Duals. "I thought about it but I've got to make it to 120 . . . and 130. That's my goal - not having any more losses this season."

With Brock's 2-minute, 33-second pin and win over Cascade's Cyle Hill at the Lafayette Jeff Holiday Duals, he reached 100 wins in his four-year high school career.

After winning his final five matches at the Lafayette Jeff Holiday Duals, Brock now has 105 victories and needs only 11 more to become the school's all-time leader and surpass 2005 graduate and current Wabash College senior wrestler Jared Tribbett (115 career wins).

Brock, a 2007 IHSAA 189-pound State qualifier, is only the fourth Crawfordsville wrestler to reach that 100-win plateau, joining Tribbett, Doug Haslam (1985 graduate, 111 wins) and Ty Cohee (2002 graduate, 108 wins).

Haslam wrestled at 126 pounds his senior year and finished as a 1985 IHSAA State champion, while Cohee wrestled at 140 pounds his senior year and was a three-time regional champion.

Crawfordsville coach Chris Ervin has helped three of the four - Cohee, Tribbett and now Brock - reach the mark.

But he also acknowledged teams have more matches now than they did 20 years ago.

"I'm proud three of those guys been in last five six years or so," Ervin said. "Chaz is a lot more mature. He's always had talent and he's really become dedicated. He's always loved wrestling, always practiced hard. But to be really good, you have to do extra work outside of practice, watch your diet. A lot more things go into it."

After an up-and-down season last year - one in which he had surgery and started out the season overweight, moved up to 215 pounds and lost in the North Montgomery Individual Regional - Brock has trimmed down this season.

By focusing on exercise and implementing a new diet during the offseason, he's changed his health and his wrestling success.

Besides competing in national tournaments this spring and summer, Brock started running more and eating better.

He dropped fast food and replaced it with salads and subs.

Since he works at Subway, it's also made it easier for him to pick healthy foods.

Instead of running three or four times a week, Brock increased that regiment to an hour every day.

During the spring, he and Ervin would run together on the Rails to Trails Sugar Creek Trail behind Ervin's house. It's all been in effort to help improve his conditioning.

"When I didn't do as good as I planned to last year, it made think if I want to be good this season I need to put a lot more towards it," Brock said. "It made me think a lot more. I've been staying focused basically, focused on wrestling and nothing else."

Brock is actually one of two Crawfordsville wrestlers with a 22-1 record. Junior Briar Perkins (112), also a 2007 State qualifier, holds the same mark.

They've helped lead the Athenians to a 17-6 record, already a school record for most dual-meet wins in a season.

Brock dominated the Lafayette Jeff Holiday duals this past Tuesday and Wednesday, winning six of his individual matches by pin and the other three by forfeit.

His only loss this season came by a 4-2 decision in the December Montgomery County meet to Southmont senior Nick Hodges, an IHSAA 189-pound State qualifier himself last year.

As he heads into the second half of his season, Brock is determined not to let another opponent beat him. He wants that elusive State title.

"I want to be a State champion and am going for No. 1," Brock said. "It's a lot of work, a lot of training . . .tons more. Coach always said 'practice doesn't make perfect, it's perfect practice.' I need to go in, step up and make it perfection."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.