Grappling with changes

By JEFF SKIRVIN

Sports writer

Jan. 8, 2009

When the IHSAA wrestling tournament gets under way in three weeks, Center Grove coach Cale Hoover won't be focused solely on the Trojans' performance on the mat.

He'll also be keeping track of the new structure of the tournament.

In November, the IHSAA approved changes to both the individual and team tournaments.

Area coaches say the changes benefit individual wrestlers but put teams at a disadvantage.

"I'd like to consider myself a big picture thinker," Hoover said. "There is definitely some good that comes with the new format, but (there are) also some drawbacks."

Under the new guidelines, only the sectional champion will advance in the team tournament. Previously, the top two teams advanced to the regional. That change eliminates the semistate round because fewer teams will move on.

In the individual tournament,

the top four finishers at the regional will advance to the semistate. The old structure had three advancing out of the regional, with the winner receiving a bye in the first round of the semistate. The bye has been eliminated.

Whiteland coach Dave Thompson said doing away with the bye potentially could eliminate upsets at the semistate.

"When you win the regional, you get that mental edge," Thompson said. "Then you get to the semistate and have to sit around for two and sometimes three hours to face a kid that already has a tough match under his belt that day.

"Most of us coaches have seen kids who have won their regional, then sit around and get upset by that second or third-place finisher simply because they were wrestling for the first time that day."

At Indian Creek, Braves coach Keith Grant said the new team format doesn't affect the Braves' approach because they never have advanced in the team tournament.

However, with a defending state champion and several other talented wrestlers, Grant said adding a fourth wrestler who can advance out of the regional could allow the team to send another individual to the state finals.

"We don't always have enough wrestlers for an entire team, but it does give our guys another chance to be competitive in the tournament," Grant said. "For us, I guess you could say it is a good change."

IHSAA assistant commissioner Bobby Cox, who oversees wrestling, said discussion to make the changes to the state tournament began in the spring.

Cox presented the proposed changes to the IHSAA board of directors in October, and coaches were notified during the first week of practice that they would be implemented this season.

"There was a consensus that we needed to take a look at the tournament format," Cox said. "We feel like the one we have now provides more consistency through the tournament in terms of how many kids and teams are advancing."

Hoover, who is vice president of the coaches' association, said he and several coaches he has talked to favor the changes to the individual tournament. But he added that the team tournament structure still needs some work.

"The four (individuals) advancing to semistate, I think everybody pretty much is OK with," said Hoover, who is set to become the next president of the wrestling coaches' association. "Now we advance four at each level, and I think there's a lot to be said for that.

"The team tournament? Now that's a whole different story."

Hoover said he would like to see a team tournament that is divided into classes, while the individual tournament would remain a single-class format. But he acknowledged that is unlikely to happen.

"I doubt that's something I'll see in my lifetime," Hoover said.

Franklin coach Bob Hasseman said he favors the changes to both tournaments, but it also could mean that a second-place team in a difficult sectional that is capable of making a deep tournament run won't have the chance.

"I think it's good," Hasseman said. "Having said that, it might mean that us or Center Grove or any other team might not make it to the team regional, but that's going to be the case all around the state."

Though the changes have been met with both criticism and praise, Hoover said time will reveal their impact.

"I still think the best team and individuals will end up winning the tournament, which is ultimately what we're trying to do," he said. "We'll see how it goes this year.

"I guess all we can do is give it a chance."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.