Harvest Classic

Guest justafan52

Guest justafan52

Hanover's Petrov wins wrestling showdown at Harvest Classic

Font Size: Default font size Larger font size BY NATE ULRICH

nate.ulrich@nwitimes.com

219.933.3374 | Sunday, December 07, 2008 | No comments posted.

ST. JOHN | Hanover Central junior John Petrov turned up his headphones to shut down the hype surrounding his quest for a second consecutive title.

Petrov won his first two matches by pin to set up a showdown between himself and another defending champion at Saturday's 28th annual Bob Emerick Harvest Classic at Lake Central High School. But instead of getting caught up in the thrill of competing in the tournament's most highly anticipated match, Petrov sought solitude.

"Most of the day I spent my time sitting out in the cafeteria, where I could get away from that hectic crowd and just listen to my music until my match came," said Petrov, a 2007 state qualifier. "Way early, I listened to country music. But when I needed to get ready to go, I listened to my rap music."

Petrov's focus paid off when he defeated Lake Central junior Marc Escobedo by a 7-1 decision in the final of the 119-pound weight class. With the win, Petrov (9-0) won his second consecutive Harvest Classic title (he won at 112 last year) and prevented Escobedo (14-1) from capturing his third championship in a row.

Penn repeated as team champ with 246.5 points.

Freshman Kyle Ayersman (13-0, 103), senior Rob Keough (14-1, 160) and junior Vlade Nacovski (14-0, 215) won titles for Lake Central, helping the Indians (204) finish second in the 16-team field after placing fifth in 2007. McCutcheon (150.5), Kankakee Valley (145) and Times No. 4 Hobart (143.5) rounded out the top five.

"We're improving a lot, and we're getting better," said Ayersman, a two-time USA Wrestling national runner-up. "Our seniors and our upperclassmen are leading us."

Like Petrov, Hobart junior Frankie Porras (4-0, 130) and Highland senior Coty Anderson (3-0, Hwt.) won their second consecutive Harvest Classic titles.

Porras earned a 17-6 decision over Calumet junior Mike Clark for a title.

"After my second-place finish at state -- that was kind of my breakthrough year -- I feel a lot of confidence this season," said Porras, who was selected as the tournament's outstanding wrestler. "It's never easy to win this tournament, and I feel real privileged to win this tournament twice."

Anderson, a 2007 semistate qualifier, defeated Kankakee Valley's Andrew Hale 13-5 in a championship match.

"Some of the greatest wrestlers in Indiana have won this more than once," Anderson said. "To be one of them is a great accomplishment."

Hobart senior Johnny Dillon (4-0, 135) finished first for the second time in three years by pinning his foe in all four of his matches. Highland senior Chris Almaraz (3-0, 152) and Kankakee Valley senior Adam Mandeville (3-1, 189) also won titles.

PREP WRESTLING | BOB EMERICK HARVEST CLASSIC

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.