2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team

OhioTofc

September 1, 2013

Dear Parents, Coaches & Wrestlers,

The Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team is now accepting applications for its 2014 summer tour. Interested wrestlers must currently be enrolled in the 6th-9th grade, have at least a 2.5 G.P.A. (B-/C+ average) and have an estimated summer weight of 65-145 pounds. NON OHIO WRESTLERS MAY APPLY and more than 500 wrestlers, representing 23 states (see list at end), have participated since the team began in 1983. (Note: 1 Indiana wrestler has recently participated: Lukasz Walendzak, of Bloomington. Lukasz was a member of the team in both 2012 and 2013).

---To request an application, please send your request to: bdbop@aol.com

***Current plans are for the 2014 tour to be the final major traveling tour for the team. While the team may continue in the future, it will most likely be done on a much smaller scale.***

Already, we have received a great deal of interest in next summer’s team and several applications, via mail and e-mail, have already been reviewed by our Committee. From the initial look of things, next summer’s team might well be one of our strongest ever.

As the applications are received, wrestling accomplishments are verified and references are contacted. The Committee then makes a recommendation as to whether accept the application, deny it, or request additional information be obtained.

Also, we will be selecting the team in a different fashion this time. Plans are to announce a new team member every three days, beginning in early September, with the final few members announced once the application deadline has occured. We will post this information on a few wrestling forums, but you can also check for the announcements on our team Facebook page: 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team.

This past summer marked the team’s 31st anniversary and wrestlers from 10 states participated. The team finished 12-1 in dual meets, losing only a Greco Roman match in Colorado Springs. In all, the team wrestled in 8 states and Canada.

Besides the wrestling, the team also experienced a great number of fun things along the way, including: Alpine Slide, Blue Man Group, Kayaking at Lake Tahoe, Grand Teton National Park, Huntington Beach, Seattle Mariners game, Oldies Show, seeing the Broadway shows “Wicked” and “Rock of Ages,” Cirque du Soliel, Hollywood, Disneyland, Rose Bowl, hiking up Rendezvous Mountain, Space Needle, white water rafting, tubing and much more.

If you are interested in applying for the 2014 team, an application is attached. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me at 614-507-1653. You may also contact any of the parents listed below, as they will be able to provide first hand information as to how the trip benefitted their child.

Yours in Wrestling,

Bart Freidenberg

Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team

bdbop@aol.com

614-507-1653

2013 Team

Kevin & Bronnie Cabezas - Metheun, MA (son, Matt, was 13 and a  6th grader)  781-883-5239

Josh Gelvin - Greenville, PA (son, Aarron, was 14 and a 7th grader)  814-720-3420

John & Pam Nash - Triadelphia, WV (son, John, was13 and a 7th grader)  304-547-9613

Kelly Hicks - Springboro, OH (son, Jakob, was 15 and a 9th grader)  937-885-7685

Chris & Mary Reichert - Mechanicsburg, PA (son, Cade, was 13 and a 6th grader)  717-525-1759

Note: Another son, Cal, toured with the team in 2012, as a 7th grader

Tammy Saylor - Easton, PA (son, Jimmy, was 15 and a 9th grader)  610-392-7952

Dean Walendzak - Bloomington, IN (son, Lukasz, was 13 and a 7th grader)  419-348-2593

Note: Lukasz also was a member of the 2012 Ohio All-Star Team

Beth Ward - Goshen, OH (son, Jordan, was 13 and a 7th grader)  419-236-1556

Note: Jordan was the third brother to tour with the team (Joey, 5th grade & Jacoby 8th grade)

James & Deborah Wilson - Quarryville, PA (son, A.J., was 13 and a 7th grader)  717-629-1737

2012 Team

Marsha Coleman - Pittsgrove, NJ (son, George, was a  6th grader) 856-205-1980

Dom D’Emilio - Curtice, OH (son, Dylan, was a 6th grader)  419-836-6416

Mark & Amanda Adams - Eaton, OH (son, Michael May, was a 9th grader)  937-533-1771

Patrick & Mindy Romero - Mechanicsburg, OH (son, Kaleb, was a 7th grader)  937-869-0547

Bob & Mindy Steer - Salem, OH (son, Matt, was a 7th grader)  330-537-9939

2013 Quotes

“I think the trip was honestly one of the best things that I have ever done. This trip has taught me so much. It teaches you how to deal with other kids, how to manage money and many other things. Personally, I think the experience was fantastic. More than half of the stuff we did, I will never have the chance to do again. At the end of the trip, you have 20 new brothers. The wrestling was fantastic and I learned so much. I’ll never forget this trip and I’ll have memories that will last a lifetime.”  Matt Cabezas (MA),  2013  Ohio TofC-7th place

“Picking Aarron up last night was a little bittersweet. While his whole family was excited to see him, we couldn’t help but feel a bit sad that this trip was over for him and his family of brothers. He talked almost nonstop on the 3.5 hour car ride home. Stories being told, questions being answered, showing us all the shirts he got and souvenirs he brought home. Finally seeing him after 40+ long day and nights, only reassured us that we made the right decision when deciding to raise the money and send him on this trip of a lifetime. Most kids this age don’t get experience’s like our boys were given. The memories and friendships made are priceless and well worth the “price of admission”. We know that Aarron got more than he bargained for on this trip. In addition to growing and developing in wrestling, this trip was quite the eye opener and learning experience for him. Just in the very short time we have had him back home we can see a change. Sent away a young boy, come back a young man – lol!. He got what this trip was about and we feel he took every experience for what it was worth, whether it was his favorite or not – it was something to appreciate!” Josh Gelvin (PA)  (son Aarron) took 6th at the 2013 PJW’s.

“The OASWT trip is a once in a lifetime opportunity. For those of you who don’t think this trip has enough wrestling, you are definitely wrong. Don’t let the cultural part of the trip fool you. This trip has a lot to offer, competitively, for anyone trying to excel in wrestling.” Jakob Ottaway (OH), 2013 High School District Qualifier

“Prior to this trip, I was nervous that I wouldn’t b able to deal with the younger and smaller kids. Being an only child, this trip really did help me to not only include others, but I also learned to get along with my smaller teammates, as they were my own “little brothers.” Now, looking back on the trip, I realize all the things I have now done and probably never get to do again. This was definitely a once in a lifetime experience and I am so glad I was able to spend it with such a great team.” Jimmy Saylor (PA), 2012 Ohio TofC Champion

2012 Quotes

“The trip was an awesome experience for me. I have learned so much in just a short period of time. I learned how to do laundry, new wrestling moves, how to work together as a team and also learned more responsibility. One thing that I love is that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I will remember this my whole life.” Kaleb Romero (OH), 6X OAC State Champion and 4X Ohio TofC Champion.

“The trip was a tremendous experience for my son and our family. Through Facebook, text messages, and phone calls, my wife and I felt like we were experiencing the trip with our son. He saw and did more on the trip than most have experienced in a lifetime. Through the trip, I believe has built a lifetime of friendships, developed life skills, improved his wrestling, and improved on the mental aspects of wrestling. The boys are already plotting to get together at national wrestling tournaments.  It’s a trip he will always remember and cherish.” Dom D’Emilio (son Dylan),  2012 OAC State Champion -  dom.demilio@genoawrestling.com

“This trip meant the world to me. When I got the letter in the mail that said I was accepted on this trip, I was ecstatic. This trip was truly a life changing experience. This trip opened my eyes and really made me appreciate my parents a lot more than I already do. How much money they spend on me is ridiculous. I had no idea how much a burger and some fries cost at a fast food restaurant.

“I can’t even begin to explain how much this trip change my life. It really hit me when we were literally above the clouds at Rendezvous Mountain. That’s when I said “I will never do anything like this ever again in my life.” This trip was the most fun/challenging thing of my life. There was not one boring part of this trip.

“If I could do this trip again, there would be no hesitation. You make so many new friends on this trip and the fun part about it is that we all have different stories, different backgrounds that you learn about 26 different people and it’s an amazing experience. As soon as you get on that plane, you are bonding and making new friends.

“I will never forget landing in Denver and literally out the airport windows, at the airport, you could see mountains and I’ve never seen mountains before and it was an awesome feeling. You go from seeing cornfields all day to all of a sudden these gigantic mountains. It’s just an amazing trip. It’s truly life changing.” Michael May (OH), 2011 OAC State Champion & 2012 6th in OHSAA State Championships

OHIO ALL-STAR WRESTLING TEAM MEMBERS (by state):

OH: 355 - most recent 2013

PA: 61 - most recent 2013

NJ: 26 0- most recent 2012

MD: 13 - most recent 2006

MI: 10 - most recent 2001

NY: 10 - msot recent 2003

MA: 10 - most recent 2013

WV: 9  most recent 2013

DE: 7 - most recent 2007

IN: 5 - most recent 2013

CT: 3 - most recent 2008

RI: 3 - most recent 2013

IL: 3 - most recent 2013

NC: 3 - most recent 2012

VA: 2 - most recent 2001

NH: 2 - most recent 2004

CA: 1 - most recent 1985

CO: 1 - most recent 2004

VT: 1 - most recent 2006

WY: 1 - most recent 2007

KA: 1 - most recent 2013

KY: 1 - most recent 2013

WI: 1 - most recent 2013

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Parents & Wrestlers,

We continue to announce one new member of next summer's Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team every three days, but many of you have e-mailed about who might be coaching the Ohio All-Star team next summer. Well, I am happy to be able to announce that the following individuals have indicated their desire to help coach the team, based of course on their schedule.

1. Mark Jayne - Mark recently moved back to the Cleveland area, from Chicago, where he was a High School Coach. He will now be an Assistant at Lakewood St. Edward High School. He was a 3x Ohio High School State Champion, for St. Edward, and also a 3X All American for the University of Illinois.

Mark was a member of the 1994 Ohio All-Star Team and also coached the first 3 weeks of the trip this past summer.

2. Eddie Jayne - Marks's older brother, Eddie, was also a 3X State Champion for St. Edward and wrestled in college at Penn State. He was then a High School Coach at Watkins Memorial High School, in the Columbus area, for several years, before stepping down to pursue other things.

Eddie was also a part of the Ohio All-Star Team in his youth, as a member of the 1990 team and has coached the team several times, including 2007, 2012 and this past summer.

3. Mike Geisz - Mike has helped to Coach the Ohio All-Star Team 7 times (2003-2008 and 2012). He wrestled for Miami of Ohio and was the former Head Coach at St. Charles High School, leading them to their first ever league title. He has also coached at a couple of Middle Schools and is currently a teacher in the Hilliard School District.

4. Ian Assael - Ian was formerly in charge of Camp Operations for Ken Chertow Camps, and is now helping out at Bucknell University. Now that he has a bit more free time in the summer, he has indicated that he would like to participate.

Announcing the first 4 members of the 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team:

Wrestler #1: Elijah Perkins, 125 pound 9th grader, from Miamisburg, OH. Elijah was 25-0 during his 2013 Junior High Season; 2nd at the 2013 Ohio TofC and placed 6th at the OAC States

Wrestler #2: David Crawford, 130 pound 8th grader, from Canfield, OH. David was 2nd at the 2013 Ohio TofC, 2nd at 2013 OHIOWAY States and had a 65-10 record last season.

Wrestler #3: Jacob Lagoa, 115 pound 7th grader from Ashtabula, OH. Jacob was 93-11 last season and placed 1st at the Ohio TofC, OHIOWAY and Ohio Youth League.

Wrestler #4: Dustin Norris, 75 pound 6th grader from Middletown, OH. A former OAC Grade School State Champion, he placed 4th at the event this year and also took 8th at the Ohio TofC. Overall, he was 57-13 this past season.

Attention Parents:

We continue to receive applications and in fact received four already today (3 via regular mail and 1 via e-mail). While we have already made a selection for Wrestler #5, who will be our first non Ohio team member announced, we have not officially selected any additional wrestlers beyond that yet. Our Committee will meet again on Thursday to decide the next couple of selections.

So, if you are at all interested in applying, I would suggest filling out and e-mailing back an application as soon as possible, so that your qualifications and references can be reviewed and your application can be placed in front of the Committee.

If you need an application sent to you, or have any other questions about the team, please contact me at bdbop@aol.com and I will respond.

Yours in Wrestling,

Bart Freidenberg

Announcing the 5th member of the 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team...

Wrestler #5: Andrew Fallon, 7th grade 73 pounder, from Fall River, MA. Matthew was a 2012 Ohio TofC Champion, and a Massachusetts State and New England Champion this past year. Overall, he had a 64-4 record this past season.

I also want to take this time to mention the following, in regards to the first five team selections:

Wrestler #1 - Elijah Perkins is a straight A student

Wrestler #2 - David Crawford is a straight A student

Wrestler #3 - Jacob Lagoa is a Merit Roll Student

Wrestler #4 - Dustin Norris is a 4.0 student

Wrestler #5 - Andrew Fallon is a straight A student

Wrestler #6 will be another non Ohio wrestler (based on past teams, we expect about 1/3 to 1/2 of the team to be non Ohio).

Wrestler #7 will be an Ohio wrestler

I am getting several e-mails about the selection process. Some are confused, thinking that they had til October 23 to apply, and that the team would not be announced until the next week. While applications will be accepted thru October 23, the application only states that those selected will be notified by October 31.

This year, we decided to announce the selected wrestlers every three days, thru the application period. We felt this would allow others to know what wrestlers had been selected and might make a difference as to whether they might apply as well.

As applications are received, I follow up and check on the wrestling accomplishments given, as well as contact the references listed (and sometimes with additional individuals that I know). I then submit this information to the Selection Committee, who meets about every 5 days, in order to go over all applications submitted.

This Committee will then pick the next group of wrestlers that will be announced as team members. While they do review all new applications, they do not necessarily make a decision on all of them at that time.

Once all the selected wrestlers are notified, (by October 31), a team meeting will be held in early November. At this meeting, those selected will have the chance to meet the other team members, as well as some some trip alumni, hear a presentation about the team and on fundraising and be able to ask any questions they may have about the team.

They will then have until December 1 to make a decision as to whether to participate on the team or not. If they choose to, then there are forms and deposits that need to be handed in and paid. If their decision is not to participate, then they just need to return all the materials they received at the meeting.

One thing I can tell you is,  the earlier you submit an application, (for this reason I suggest scanning the completed application and e-mailing it back), the sooner it can be reviewed by the Committee and the better the chance you have at making the team. I can also tell you that I have already heard form individuals from 16 states, who have expressed an interest in next summer's team and that the interest from the Ohio community appears to be up as well.

Yours in Wrestling,

Bart Freidenberg

• 2 weeks later...

We continue to receive a LOT of interest in next summer's team, both from Ohio and non-Ohio wrestlers and families. I would say we have heard from at least 50 individuals so far, many of whom we have received completed applications from and several others that have indicated that their application is forthcoming.

***We have had team members from 23 states in the past, but never a wrestler from Georgia.

I would just strongly encourage any of you that might be interested, to fill out a completed application and e-mail it back as soon as possible, as the sooner we receive it, the sooner references can be contacted, (it sometimes takes a couple of days to get in touch with some), and the application can be presented to our Selection Committee, who select 2-3 new team members every Sunday. These individuals are then announced one every three days.

If you would like an application sent to you, or if you have any questions regarding the team, please do not hesitate to contact me at bdbop@aol.com or 614-507-1653. If necessary, I can provide names and numbers of parents whose kids have been a part of the team in the past, so that you can talk to them about their experiences.

Those that have currently been selected to the team are:

Wrestler #8: Samuel Fair, 7th grade 84 pounder, from Indianapolis, IN. Sammy is an 11X Indiana State Champ and 17 X State Runner Up, finished 4th at the 2012 Ohio TofC, won the Central Regions this past season and finished up with a 63-11 record. In school, he is an honor student.

Wrestler #7: Peyton Craft, 6th grade 87 pounder from Marysville, OH. A former NUWAY Nationals runner up (2011), this past year, Peyton was the OHIOWAY runner-up and had a 73-6 record. In school, he is on the A Honor Roll.

Wrestler #6: Ty Mills, 8th grade 92 pounder, from Danville, IN. Ty was the 2013 Indiana Middle School State Champion and is a 7X ISWA State Champion. This past year, his record was 84-17. He is also a National Junior Honor Society Member.

Wrestler #5: Andrew Fallon, 7th grade 73 pounder, from Fall River, MA. Matthew was a 2012 Ohio TofC Champion, and a Massachusetts State and New England Champion this past year. Overall, he had a 64-4 record this past season. Straight A student.

Wrestler #4: Dustin Norris, 75 pound 6th grader from Middletown, OH. A former OAC Grade School Champion, Dustin placed 4th at the event this past year and also took 8th at the Ohio TofC. For the season, he was 57-13. 4.0 student.

Wrestler #3: Jacob Lagoa, 115 pound 7th grader, from Ashtabula, OH. This past season, Jacob had a 93-11 record and placed 1st at the Ohio Tournament of Champions, OHIOWAY and also the Ohio Youth League States. Merit Roll student.

Wrestler #2: David Crawford, 130 pound 8th grader, from Canfield, OH. David was 2nd at the 2013 Ohio TofC, 2nd at 2013 OHIOWAY States and had a 65-10 record last season. Straight A student.

Wrestler #1: Elijah Perkins, 125 pound 9th grader, from Miamisburg, OH. Elijah was 25-0 during his 2013 Junior High Season; 2nd at the 2013 Ohio TofC and placed 6th at the OAC States. Straight A student.We continue to receive a LOT of interest in next summer's team, both from Ohio and non-Ohio wrestlers and families. I would say we have heard from at least 50 individuals so far, many of whom we have received completed applications from and several others that have indicated that their application is forthcoming.

I would just strongly encourage any of you that might be interested, to fill out a completed application and e-mail it back as soon as possible, as the sooner we receive it, the sooner references can be contacted, (it sometimes takes a couple of days to get in touch with some), and the application can be presented to our Selection Committee, who select 2-3 new team members every Sunday. These individuals are then announced one every three days.

If you would like an application sent to you, or if you have any questions regarding the team, please do not hesitate to contact me at bdbop@aol.com or 614-507-1653. If necessary, I can provide names and numbers of parents whose kids have been a part of the team in the past, so that you can talk to them about their experiences.

Those that have currently been selected to the team are:

Wrestler #8: Samuel Fair, 7th grade 84 pounder, from Indianapolis, IN. Sammy is an 11X Indiana State Champ and 17 X State Runner Up, finished 4th at the 2012 Ohio TofC, won the Central Regions this past season and finished up with a 63-11 record. In school, he is an honor student.

Wrestler #7: Peyton Craft, 6th grade 87 pounder from Marysville, OH. A former NUWAY Nationals runner up (2011), this past year, Peyton was the OHIOWAY runner-up and had a 73-6 record. In school, he is on the A Honor Roll.

Wrestler #6: Ty Mills, 8th grade 92 pounder, from Danville, IN. Ty was the 2013 Indiana Middle School State Champion and is a 7X ISWA State Champion. This past year, his record was 84-17. He is also a National Junior Honor Society Member.

Wrestler #5: Andrew Fallon, 7th grade 73 pounder, from Fall River, MA. Matthew was a 2012 Ohio TofC Champion, and a Massachusetts State and New England Champion this past year. Overall, he had a 64-4 record this past season. Straight A student.

Wrestler #4: Dustin Norris, 75 pound 6th grader from Middletown, OH. A former OAC Grade School Champion, Dustin placed 4th at the event this past year and also took 8th at the Ohio TofC. For the season, he was 57-13. 4.0 student.

Wrestler #3: Jacob Lagoa, 115 pound 7th grader, from Ashtabula, OH. This past season, Jacob had a 93-11 record and placed 1st at the Ohio Tournament of Champions, OHIOWAY and also the Ohio Youth League States. Merit Roll student.

Wrestler #2: David Crawford, 130 pound 8th grader, from Canfield, OH. David was 2nd at the 2013 Ohio TofC, 2nd at 2013 OHIOWAY States and had a 65-10 record last season. Straight A student.

Wrestler #1: Elijah Perkins, 125 pound 9th grader, from Miamisburg, OH. Elijah was 25-0 during his 2013 Junior High Season; 2nd at the 2013 Ohio TofC and placed 6th at the OAC States. Straight A student.

• 3 weeks later...

October 5, 2013

Dear Coaches, Parents & Wrestlers,

This e-mail will serve as a final reminder, that if you are at all interested in submitting an application, for a wrestler to be considered for the 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team, that they are due by October 23. (for an application, please e-mail bdbop@aol.com AND non Ohio wrestlers may apply)

Again, interested wrestlers must currently be enrolled in 6th-9th grade (5th graders may be considered), have an estimated summer weight of 68-145 pounds and have a 2.5 (B-/C+) grade point average.

Next summer will mark the OASWT's 32nd year and, most likely, the final major tour we will do. Already, more than half of the initial 21 spots have been selected. While there is a possibility that the roster size may increase a few spots, no final decision has been made on that yet, and will not be until after the application deadline.

We also continue to announce one new team member every three days, thru the end of this month. At that time, if we decide to expand the roster, all remaining names would be announced. Obviously, the sooner an application is submitted, the sooner it can be reviewed and voted on, by our Selection Committee. Those currently selected to the 2014 Team are listed below.

Since its start in 1983, more than 500 of the top youth wrestlers, from Ohio and 22 other states, have participated. These wrestlers have gone on to amass more than 125 State High School Titles, more than 25 USA Cadet/Junior National Freestyle Titles and more than 10 NCAA/NJCAA/NAIA titles.

Along with the team training camp, wrestlers will receive approximately 13-20 matches on the tour. In addition, they will have another 15-18 practice sessions. Scheduled Coaches for the team include: 3X All American Mark Jayne (U of Illinois), 3X State Champion Eddie Jayne (Lakewood St. Edward) and Mike Geisz (6X Ohio All-Star Team Coach).

Even more beneficial to all of the wrestling, though, are the life lessons that the team members will learn. From doing their own laundry, to budgeting their own money, to getting along with other team members and even learning how to interact with adults, who come up to talk with them about their journey. All important skills that will help later in life.

Add to this all the great sites and new experiences the team will enjoy. From attending a Broadway show to whitewater rafting, to hiking a 7.2 mile mountain, to running the Las Vegas Strip, to touring National Parks, to swimming in the Pacific Ocean and even learning how to do Improv Comedy. For many on the team, these are once in a lifetime experiences. To be able to experience them with other wrestlers, who have common goals, is truly a unique experience.

I have attached an application for the team. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours in Wrestling,

Bart Freidenberg

Current team Members:

Wrestler #1: Elijah Perkins, 125 pound 9th grader, from Miamisburg, OH. Elijah was 25-0 during his 2013 Junior High Season; 2nd at the 2013 Ohio TofC and placed 6th at the OAC States. Straight A student.

Wrestler #3: Jacob Lagoa, 115 pound 7th grader, from Ashtabula, OH. This past season, Jacob had a 93-11 record and placed 1st at the Ohio Tournament of Champions, OHIOWAY and also the Ohio Youth League States. Merit Roll Student.

Wrestler #4: Dustin Norris, 75 pound 6th grader from Middletown, OH. A former OAC Grade School State Champion, he placed 4th at the event this year and also took 8th at the Ohio TofC. Overall, he was 57-13 this past season. 4.0 student.

Wrestler #6: Ty Mills, 8th grade 92 pounder, from Danville, IN. Ty was the 2013 Indiana Middle School State Champion and is a 7X ISWA State Champion. This past year, his record was 84-17.

Wrestler #9: Mitch Herren, 7th grade 68 pounder, from Upper Arlington, OH. A 2X Ohio TofC placer, including a runner up finish in 2009, Mitch has placed 4 times at the OAC States and 7 times, including one title, at the OURWAY/OHIOWAY States. In school, he is a B student and a member of the choir, band and orchestra.

Wrestler #10: Nikolas Chavez, a 9th grade 106 pounder from Springfield, MO. This past year, Nikolas won the Brute Nationals, placed top 6 at both the USA Folkstyle & Freestyle Nationals and finished 6th at the Ohio TofC. Overall, he was 98-22 this past season.

Wrestler #11: Tristan McGrath, 9th grade 120 pounder from Cincinnati, OH. Tristan placed 3rd at the OHIOWAY States and won a League Championship last year, on his way to a 47-8 record. He was also a 2X member of the Southwest All Stars, that competed at the AAU Middle School Duals. In school, he is an A/B student.

Wrestler #12: Logan Ours, 5th grade 68 pounder from Wellsville, OH. Logan is a 3X OAC State Champ, 3X OURWAY/OHIOWAY State Champ, NUWAY National Champion and placed 2nd at the 2013 Ohio TofC. In school, he is a straight "A" student.

2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team

***First 15 wrestlers have been named (representing 5 states)

***Selection Committee decides to expand roster to accommodate at least 26 wrestlers

October 13, 2013

Fifteen spots have now been filled on the 2014 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team, which will mark its 32nd Anniversary Tour next summer. From these initial 15 spots, five states (Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Massachusetts and Missouri) are already represented and, according to Team Chairman Bart Freidenberg, applications from several other states have been received and not yet voted on. You can view an updated list of those currently selected at: http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256457

Earlier tonight, the Selection Committee voted on Wrestlers #16-19 and also made one other major decision:

Due to the number of outstanding applications so far received, and not yet voted on, (see list below), and the fact that next summer will most likely be the OASWT's final major touring team, the Selection Committee has decided to expand next summer's overall team roster size to at least 26 (and possibly 30, which would be the max we could handle). For the time being, roster announcements will still be made every three days, with the 21st wrestler, and all additional wrestlers, announced on October 31. Once the initial Oct. 23 application deadline date has passed, the announcements may come in shorter time period.

Among the accomplishments of wrestlers who have not yet been voted on are:

2X State Champion and TofC placer

State Champion and 2 year MIddle School Record of 50-0

TofC Champ; USA Folkstyle Champ

State Champ; TofC placer

State Champ; TofC Placer; NUWAY Runner Up

3X NUWAY Nationals placer; State Runner Up

TofC placer; State placer

State Qualifier

TofC Placer; State Champion

TofC Champ; 4X MAWA Champ

NUWAY Nationals Runner Up and 3X Placer; 2X State placer

State Champion

TofC placer; State Placer

State Qualifier

3X State Champ; 5X State placer

State Champion; NUWAY Runner Up

I urge any of you, if you are at all interested in submitting an application for your son, to get your application in ASAP (e-mail is the quickest). If you still need an application, please contact Bart at bdbop@aol.com. Also, many have expressed the concern over the financial side of the trip. The Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team is a 501c3 team and, while some wrestlers have had their parents pay for the rip in the past, many have also been able to raise most, if not all, of the necessary funds.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.