Portage's climb back to prominence continues

sparticus

The fall, by most standards, wasn't precipitous. But when you're talking about Portage wrestling, the Region's preeminent program for all of the 1990s and the start of this decade, the dropoff was dramatic.

After winning its 16th consecutive sectional title in 2006, the Indians had their string of six straight regional championships snapped the following week. The next season, the sectional run came to an end, and last year, they finished third, not even qualifying for the regional.

"It was hard sometimes to watch," Portage coach Pat Wilkins said.

Wilkins, a former Indians wrestler, was an assistant for Jason Hayes in 2006-07. He sat respectfully by Hayes' side, watching his technique-heavy approach fail with kids Wilkins had known in middle school. Wilkins became head coach only after Hayes failed multiple times to pass his state teaching license test.

"I think in about two years we'll be team state contenders," Wilkins said in November 2007.

It sure didn't look that way a year ago when the Indians were spectators in their own gym for the team regional. Tonight, with Crown Point and Merrillville in their house, they'll try to make their coach sound like a prophet.

"I think we can take it," junior Sean McMurray said. "I'm really excited. We got the best draw we could get. We were close with both of them. There were a lot of swing matches and we just keep getting better."

The Indians were single-digit losers to the Bulldogs and Pirates this season, an indication they were well on their way back. How'd they get here? Wilkins points to the maturity of guys like Brandon Coppinger and Luis Acuna, the return of Justin Rhein from injury and the emergence of seniors Aaron King, who's gone from four wins to 26 in a year, and Nathaniel Coleman. Just as much, it was a renewal of the old values that once established Portage among the state's elite.

"They realized how far hard work can take you," Wilkins said. "We got back to morning conditioning. It gives you an edge. It's wrestling. You've got to be mean. They bought into it, 100 percent. So far, the results have been good."

Senior Chris Santos talked about Wilkins' development as a head coach. McMurray called the coaching staff of Wilkins, Reggie Wright and Freddy Joseph a great mix.

"Coach Wilkins takes care of keeping us in shape," McMurray said. "Reggie's one of the best technicians I've ever seen and I've worked with a lot of guys. Freddy's our toughness coach. He'll bang with anybody, 103 to 285."

Along the way, team chemistry improved and the Indians started to believe again.

"To be honest, I have to say I feel less tension," Santos said. "The past two years, we got down on ourselves. We'd get frustrated at practices. Now we're more upbeat. We started off very good and took it from there. We've come a long way."

Tonight, they can prove how far.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.