props to Nick striker of Southwood

meto

nick striker 103# freshman from southwood high school was diagnosised with chrons disease early in the school year miss all but 2 weeks of the season. his love for this sport is great and his determanation to be back on the mats even greater, he qualafyed for reg.next week at peru . great job to a great kid glad to see you back

nick striker 103# freshman from southwood high school was diagnosised with chrons disease early in the school year miss all but 2 weeks of the season. his love for this sport is great and his determanation to be back on the mats even greater, he qualafyed for reg.next week at peru . great job to a great kid glad to see you back

I have known a few people with Chrons (sp?) and it is a life changing disease....I know I will take a beating for even mentioning it, but from the folks I know it will effect his weight as treatment and control means watching very carefully EVERYTHING you eat!

I have known a few people with Chrons (sp?) and it is a life changing disease....I know I will take a beating for even mentioning it, but from the folks I know it will definitely help him make weight as treatment and control means watching very carefully EVERYTHING you eat!you realy got a twisted view when a person loses 30 or 40 pounds in a mater of weeks yes uyou can make any weight you want, great job nick i am not a southwood fan but a wabash fan and ive had the privalege of watching him compete for the last 4 years and ive seen what hes battled to get back on the mat i think i speak for all wabash county were proud of you nick

As Nick's father and Head Wrestling Coach at Southwood, I wish to thank all who have kept Nick in your thoughts and prayers during the past five months.  Nick was hospitalized after having an emergency appendectomy on September 8.  Two more trips to a local hospital and three stays in Riley Hospital during November and December made wrestling something very unimportant to us; however, it was wrestling that kept Nick's spirits up and motivated him to want to get well.  After being diagnosed with Crohn's just before Christmas, he weighed 82lbs. After two treatments, he was released to practice on the mats only two weeks ago, and wrestled his first match at Conference.  (Note: he was exercising with the team, but was not wrestling others.) Winning was not his goal, nor mine--in fact, as his father, I did not intend for Nick to wrestle at all this season.  At Sectional, Nick was no where near 50% strength or endurance; however, he won a match that allowed him the chance to compete @ Regionals.  He's weighing 99.3lbs. and appreciates the chance to wrestle.  Getting out of Regionals is not a goal he has this year, but getting the opportunity to lace-up his wrestling shoes made the pain and suffering he endured since September all worth it.  I know wrestlers are like a family, and I know some would like to know this information.

Southwood Wrestling Coach Leroy Striker

As Nick's father and Head Wrestling Coach at Southwood, I wish to thank all who have kept Nick in your thoughts and prayers during the past five months.  Nick was hospitalized after having an emergency appendectomy on September 8.  Two more trips to a local hospital and three stays in Riley Hospital during November and December made wrestling something very unimportant to us; however, it was wrestling that kept Nick's spirits up and motivated him to want to get well.  After being diagnosed with Crohn's just before Christmas, he weighed 82lbs. After two treatments, he was released to practice on the mats only two weeks ago, and wrestled his first match at Conference.  (Note: he was exercising with the team, but was not wrestling others.) Winning was not his goal, nor mine--in fact, as his father, I did not intend for Nick to wrestle at all this season.  At Sectional, Nick was no where near 50% strength or endurance; however, he won a match that allowed him the chance to compete @ Regionals.  He's weighing 99.3lbs. and appreciates the chance to wrestle.  Getting out of Regionals is not a goal he has this year, but getting the opportunity to lace-up his wrestling shoes made the pain and suffering he endured since September all worth it.  I know wrestlers are like a family, and I know some would like to know this information.

Southwood Wrestling Coach Leroy Striker

you have a great kid and he will stay in our prays and cant wait to see him 100% keep up the hard work nik

I know I will take a beating for even mentioning it, but from the folks I know it will definitely help him make weight as treatment and control means watching very carefully EVERYTHING you eat!

Why even go there!!!!!!  It's one thing to think it, a totally different one to put it in print.  I am sure that wasn't the first, second or third thing to enter this young man's thoughts when hearing this diagnosis.  Again, one thing to think the other to state.

Leroy - I hadn't heard anything about Nick's illness until yesterday at the Jay County Sectional.  Beau told me about it at a break.  I used to play softball with a friend who had Crohn's so I know its possible to participate in sports with the disease.  My friend wasn't diagnosed until he was over 30, but his health improved immediately just by learning to control his diet.  I know Nick will be competing full tilt next year.  I'll look forward to seeding him second at the Jet Invitational next year (Sorry, AC will be seeded #1). - Phil

I know I will take a beating for even mentioning it, but from the folks I know it will definitely help him make weight as treatment and control means watching very carefully EVERYTHING you eat!

Why even go there!!!!!!   It's one thing to think it, a totally different one to put it in print.  I am sure that wasn't the first, second or third thing to enter this young man's thoughts when hearing this diagnosis.  Again, one thing to think the other to state.

A.) You make a fake name and post once, nice convictions.

B.) I was trying to share some experience with those that have no exposure to this type of disease before.  As evidenced by his Dads retelling of their experiences, it has a dramatic effect on your weight, eating and overall health.  Most kids can eat whatever they darn well please and wrestle at whatever weight they want to get to before the season, should they so desire.  Based on what I have seen of the disease, this young man will never be able to "chow down" for a couple of months after the season and worry about weight once the fall rolls around.  For anyone that has never seen the impacts of this disease or known someone who had it, this may not be understood.  I was not trying to point out the obvious to the kid that has it, rather expand on the impact it will have for those that have never heard of it...

As I said before I wrote it, I figured some would take it the wrong way and thats fine.  I could have written for hours trying to explain myself and still probably failed.  I hope he and his father understand what I am talking about.  As his father said, wrestling (and hence maintaining weight) is far removed from what is important.  I hope others gain a better understanding of this disease through reading the dialogue.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.