Portage reclaims wrestling sectional title

grappler87

BY JIM PETERS

jpeters@nwitimes.com

Sunday, February 01, 2009

LAPORTE | Between 1991 and 2006, Portage won every sectional wrestling in which it competed.

The last two years, the Indians didn't win any, bottoming out last winter when they didn't even finish second to qualify for the team regional.

"I think that burned in most of them, hosting the team regional and not being in it," coach Pat Wilkins said. "We missed out by half a point. The guys remembered that. It motivated them all year."

Evidently. It was just like the good old days for the Indians on Saturday as they reclaimed the top spot at the LaPorte Sectional, posting 266 points, 55 more than runner-up Chesterton. Portage will host the team regional Wednesday.

"It's been our main goal to get back where we were," senior Chris Santos said. "It means everything to us."

Santos, a 7-4 winner of Michigan City's Thomas Lusco at 135 pounds, was one of seven champions for Portage, which had 10 finalists and 13 regional qualifiers.

"The last two years, I came close but couldn't pull it off, so it's pretty cool," Santos said. "I felt him slowing down and that was my opportunity to take my shot."

Jesse Duque (103), Brandon Coppinger (112), Luis Acuna (125), Tony Nuzzo (145), unbeaten Sean McMurray (152) and Erik Rhein (160) also won titles.

Coppinger's match was the closest of the finals. After giving Chesterton's Joe Kelly an escape, he took him down with about 45 seconds left and held on to win 7-6.

"I wanted to turn him. The coaches told me to cut him," Coppinger said. "They had faith in me to do it, so I thought I could do it. I like to take people down. I knew I wasn't going to let that lead go."

Acuna was an 8-3 winner over Knox's Kyle Hernandez, hitting four takedowns and allowing only three escapes.

"Our coaches said he was really strong, an upper-body guy," Acuna said. "I just wanted to stay in good position, stick to my shots, try to work on my turns."

Nuzzo won by default when Chesterton's Spencer Stockwell couldn't wrestle due to a rib injury. McMurray beat Chesterton's Anthony Quiroz 7-1.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.