# of Women in your program

sslaymon

Just curios, how many girl's some of you have in your program?

Currently Greenwood HS has 0. Middle school has 2 and our club has 2.

I'm looking and trying to figure how to recruit more. It's not as easy as walking over to a football field. I'm wondering those with big #'s, what avenue did you guys take to get those #'s up?

Seymour currently has 8 at the HS and 1 at our MS.  Many of them came over from the girls soccer program.  A few of them are also in softball and hope wresrling will help them prepare for that.  All are first year wrestlers and currently on the JV roster.  We had 1 who graduated last year after two years with the program. 

Edited by MattM

• 3 weeks later...

We asked this very question of coach Matt Selis with Penn who has 20+ on his HS team and he replied. It's simple really, we tell them they don't have to wrestle the boys if they don't want to. Over the years this philosophy has played into his hand as you can see. So we took it a step further. Last year we put together 5 RTC sites around the state for just girls. Some had some success and others didn't. What we've found is that the ones that had girls there already thrived and the ones that only had one or two didn't do so well. It's also hit and miss. Sometimes some of these rtc's had 10-15 and other times they had 3-4. The problem is that all the girls are spread out around the state and until it gets out of its what I'm calling infancy stage the numbers will remain minimal.  This should happen in the next few years once the IHSAA makes it a state sanctioned event and recognizes it as an official school sport for the girls. These RTC sites are on the ISWA page under the womens tab. The best piece of advise I could share with you is to tell each one of your girls to BRING A FRIEND. Before you know it you'll have a team if they listen. Feel free to give me a call anytime if you have any questions and thanks for adding a girls division to your upcoming tournament. Jason DeLois (317)201-8700.

Edited by IndianaGirlsWrestling
added to post