a few questions

cadet130

Question

3 questions and even more specifically these two are in the NFHS rule book...

1) is green always “home” and is that a rule?

2) is the match over with the slap of the mat or the whistle? Example...an official at our HS tourney said today that in terms of if time is out or not you go by the whistle and not the slap of the mat.

3) pertaining to a head scissors (with or without an arm): in what positions can there be a draping scissors? The only one I can think of is in an Iranian. I had an official tell me it was draping when both athletes were on their hip and the offensive wrestler was stepping over for a turk from the Iranian. Is there anything in the rule that says anything about pressure against the head? I am not seeing it. I understand that for a DRAPING scissor the rule states that pressure would have to be there. However, under illegal moves it says the straight head scissors (arm included or not) is illegal. There is nothing about pressure at all.

3 answers to this question

1) is green always “home” and is that a rule?

Green has been traditionally designated for the home team in dual meets. This is in large part due to the design of scoreboards, specifically, because the "home" team on the left of the scoreboard is most often highlighted in green, while the "guest" team on the right is similarly highlighted in red. This is in line with the colored wristbands the officials wear to signal scoring. However, it is no longer mandatory and may be adjusted by the official. In recent years this has become more commonplace, for example, it only makes since to designate a visiting team wearing green and/or a home team wearing red, green and red respectively. Furthermore, in tournament competition, hand written or computer generated bout sheets may pre-designate wrestlers as "home"(green) and "guest"(red), however, it is easily changed on the sheets and with the widespread use of computerized scoring; i.e. Trackwrestling, Flowrestling, etc., it is now even easier. Basically, making red, red and/or green, green simplifies scoring for everyone; officials, scorers, coaches and spectators alike and is encouraged.

2) is the match over with the slap of the mat or the whistle? Example...an official at our HS tourney said today that in terms of if time is out or not you go by the whistle and not the slap of the mat.

Actually, the match is terminated once the official recognizes that a fall has occurred. This obviously occurs prior to both the whistle and/or the slap of the mat. The whistle and/or the slap of the mat are simply apparatuses to signify that a fall has occurred. Naturally, there is a brief amount of "reaction time" for the official between recognizing the fall and signally it.

3) pertaining to a head scissors (with or without an arm): in what positions can there be a draping scissors? The only one I can think of is in an Iranian. I had an official tell me it was draping when both athletes were on their hip and the offensive wrestler was stepping over for a turk from the Iranian. Is there anything in the rule that says anything about pressure against the head? I am not seeing it. I understand that for a DRAPING scissor the rule states that pressure would have to be there. However, under illegal moves it says the straight head scissors (arm included or not) is illegal. There is nothing about pressure at all.

2018-19 NFHS Wrestling Rules, page 78, picture 89 (caption) Rule 7-1-5...

(7-1-5) This draping head scissor is legal because there is minimal pressure against the head or neck and the arm is included.

My personal input... The key factors are; minimal pressure against the head or neck with the arm included. I look for the knees to remain bent and no pinching or restraining power of any kind. Think of it this way when considering the term "draping"; your drapes simply hang freely over you windows, therefore, the draping head scissor is the act of hanging freely around the head and neck with an arm included while applying minimal pressure. I will verbally caution the wrestler to "keep it legal" "don't apply any pressure around the head or neck", also, depending on the position and/or action I may stop it for potentially dangerous before it has a chance to become illegal.

Thanks for the input, Jimbo! I am looking for a little more clarification...

1) Is GREEN always HOME? I am not asking if you can make a team that has a red singlet the "away/red" team. I am asking... is green always home? Is it feasible that red wristbands are awarding points to the "home" side of the scoreboard?

2) Do you have a rule for this or a specific section in the case manual?

3) So you are telling me that you would NOT call an illegal hold in a position where we started in an Iranian but i put you on your hip and I am stepping over for a turk? Text me if you need me to send you a specific video of what I am talking about. There is nothing in the rule book that says ANYTHING about pressure on the head in a head scissors. The only place that pressure on the head/neck is addressed is in a draping scissors situation.