MatBoss App

CoachJoyce

Does anyone use the MatBoss app? If so, what has your experience been? Do you also still keep a paper score book? Wasn't sure about referee scorebook signatures or other requirements/rules that the app might not meet for the IHSAA. I have a demo set with them to learn more, but I thought I would get some real-world opinions here first. 

At DeKalb we started using it last year. It is a really nice program. I always like running the reports and being able to show data and sort it. Plus when tournament time comes around I can print out one sheet that has all the results for that kid throughout the year rather than going back through handwritten books. My wife does all our video and stats with it and if we have multiples going, we just have someone who isn't wrestling go to that match. We no longer have managers or a paper score book. Plus it's nice that you have a place to upload film and everyone can watch it. We do (for duals) keep a running total score on paper additionally, but we haven't run into any problems.

55 minutes ago, CoachGaff said:

At DeKalb we started using it last year. It is a really nice program. I always like running the reports and being able to show data and sort it. Plus when tournament time comes around I can print out one sheet that has all the results for that kid throughout the year rather than going back through handwritten books. My wife does all our video and stats with it and if we have multiples going, we just have someone who isn't wrestling go to that match. We no longer have managers or a paper score book. Plus it's nice that you have a place to upload film and everyone can watch it. We do (for duals) keep a running total score on paper additionally, but we haven't run into any problems.

How does the official sign the scorebook if you do not have a paper scorebook?

I too used MatBoss for the first time last year.  Myself and my coaching staff liked the data sheets we could present to our wrestlers, and that our guys have access to all their matches from their device.  The official can type in his I.D. number instead of signing in.  I also use a score book still, in case WIFI or Ipad goes down.

@chambers, that's why we kept a paper running total on a separate sheet and had them sign that. Also for each dual there is a place to enter the name of the official, so my guess would be that if you have him enter his name that would count as well.

@CoachJoyce Doing multiple matches simultaneously is possible with multiple iPads. So us for example, we have 5 total iPads. I bought one and two other coaches each own one and the school provided us with two. So if JV and varsity go separate places we will send 3 iPads to one location and 2 to the other. So then when you upload them (as long as they are all on the same event) it all uploads together. So we could potentially film several mats at one time and then when you upload film from the iPad, it consolidates it under the same event.

As a side note, if you happen to miss a match or have technical difficulties and keep score on paper, you can later put the stats into MatBoss, you just won't have the video of it.

Edited by CoachGaff

1 hour ago, julia2009 said:

The WIFI seems like it would be the biggest issue.  Does everyone that run MattBoss get pretty good coverage or able to conncect when traveling to other schools?  It seems that I'm always fighting other devices when I'm on my phone, so I end up turning off the WIFI.

It's my understanding that you only need WIFI when you are uploading video/stats to the cloud. As long as you ipad has space, I think things can be done offline and uploaded later. Someone correct me if this is wrong. 

That is correct as long as you have storage space available on the ipad you should be fine. We just got the program and after the first time using it this past weekend and getting use to the functions, we like it. It takes some time at first to set up, but once you us it a few times i think it will be easier and seem more user friendly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.