Refresh on Elementary Age

casualwrestlingfan

Questions for those in the know. Are AAU individual tournaments still the thing or is it elementary team duals or club wrestling individual or club wrestling team duals or all the above? Can Ohio wrestler participate in tournaments in Indiana and can Indiana wrestler participate in Ohio tournaments? What is required to do so? It's been a long time since those days so thanks for the helpful information!

Very few if any AAU individual tournaments. Mostly USA Wrestling sponsored tournaments through the states local association, here it's ISWA.

As of now, there are a lot of club dual meets in November and December with individual tournaments starting up in mid-late December and running through ISWA state in March.

As for out of state events/wrestlers, it depends on each tournament. A lot of tournaments, like ours will allow out of state wrestlers. The only tournaments I know where they are restricted to in state wrestlers, are ISWA State and IHSWCA Middle School state tournaments, not sure on Ohio's policies.

Whoever is competing will need a USA wrestling card if you don't already have one. www.usawmembership.com

9 hours ago, sslaymon said:

Very few if any AAU individual tournaments. Mostly USA Wrestling sponsored tournaments through the states local association, here it's ISWA.

As of now, there are a lot of club dual meets in November and December with individual tournaments starting up in mid-late December and running through ISWA state in March.

As for out of state events/wrestlers, it depends on each tournament. A lot of tournaments, like ours will allow out of state wrestlers. The only tournaments I know where they are restricted to in state wrestlers, are ISWA State and IHSWCA Middle School state tournaments, not sure on Ohio's policies.

Whoever is competing will need a USA wrestling card if you don't already have one. www.usawmembership.com

Thank you! My stepson attends school in Ohio while one of my cousins has boys attending in Indiana and another has boys currently in Indiana but moving to Ohio soon. Meanwhile my son will attend in Indiana in a few years.

• 1 month later...

Talk about chaos at these events. Was at Liberty Center Ohio last weekend. They had matchups on track, but didn't say what bracket just division. Made an announcement that they needed some coaches and wrestlers to report so they could make brackets and would let all of us know when brackets were released. Instead 2 mins later they call Division 1 16 man bracket to staging. Then tell us that 16 brackets will be before 8 man which makes sense. We scramble to find which bracket our wrestler is in. They have 3 mats divided in half for 6 wrestling areas.

Last night I went to Bellmont for "rivals night" to watch my cousin's boys. Another type of chaos as parents try to matchup their kids and coach them based on age and weight. Mats divided into 4ths. Each mat for designated age level.

Both had crammed seating and I saw both positive and negative situations at both types of events. Are the old AAU days over where you weigh in and are assigned your bracket and wrestle on a full mat? I've been away from this age group in wrestling so it's completely different than what I remember. 

"rivals night" is actually Rival League night. It is basically a friendship type of event setup to get kids mat time. It's not a bracketed tournament by any stretch. It is for beginners and less experienced kids and parents. They run two hours and done on Friday nights. It's a great way for kids starting to get some mat time. It can be a little chaotic as there are no brackets and it literally is just getting kids matched up and out on the mat. It has worked well and all of the clubs that are part of the league have benefited from it. We started it with 3 or 4 clubs and it has grown to include around 7-8 clubs, with some surrounding clubs that don't host an event that compete in it as well.

15 hours ago, bwoodjc89 said:

"rivals night" is actually Rival League night. It is basically a friendship type of event setup to get kids mat time. It's not a bracketed tournament by any stretch. It is for beginners and less experienced kids and parents. They run two hours and done on Friday nights. It's a great way for kids starting to get some mat time. It can be a little chaotic as there are no brackets and it literally is just getting kids matched up and out on the mat. It has worked well and all of the clubs that are part of the league have benefited from it. We started it with 3 or 4 clubs and it has grown to include around 7-8 clubs, with some surrounding clubs that don't host an event that compete in it as well.

It actually seemed less chaotic than the bracketed tournament in Liberty Center, OH. However, I think that is because most of the schools and parents involved have been around the sport and know how to run events. I have had some Ohio parents asking if I had the dates and how they could RSVP to these events. I'd have to ask my wife to be sure that all those inquiring are Crestview wrestlers (some may be Parkway/Wayne Trace/Van Wert/Lincolnview). 

14 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

It actually seemed less chaotic than the bracketed tournament in Liberty Center, OH. However, I think that is because most of the schools and parents involved have been around the sport and know how to run events. I have had some Ohio parents asking if I had the dates and how they could RSVP to these events. I'd have to ask my wife to be sure that all those inquiring are Crestview wrestlers (some may be Parkway/Wayne Trace/Van Wert/Lincolnview). 

Parkway has been to several over the last couple of years.

7 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

I know for certain that Crestview parents have asked. I guess some participated last year. If allowed, do you have information I could pass on to them? Thanks!

send me your email address in a message on here and I will get you some info.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.