Hoosiers in College - Results/Updates - 1st Half

Couple of added notes on the Navy Classic.... Thanks to IU89 and 1prouddad for the results.

Luigs at 133 made the semifinals and lost 3-2 to Casey Cobb of Navy who won the tournament.  He then lost 6-4 to Tim Rooney of Kent State in the match for 3rd.  Pepple lost twice to Rooney, 5-1 in the 2nd round and 3-1 in the consolation semifinals.  Garrett won 4 matches in the consis to get back to a guaranteed placement.

Konrath at 141, dropped a semifinal 16-1 TF to 6th ranked Sa'Derian Perry of Old Dominion.  Perry who wrestled at Eastern Michigan last year was one of the surprises of the NCAA Tournament gaining All-American status finishing 8th.  He did lose to both Nick Lee and Chad Red in the placement rounds.  I'm a little surprised at the TF result, but a lot can happen so I wouldn't read too much into it unless it happens again.  Perry lost in the finals to Navy's 15th ranked Nicholas Gil.

@141, Michael DeLaPena went 0-2, dropping his match in the consis to former Hoosier State Champ Nathan Boston.  Boston lost in the round of 16 a match before he would have faced Konrath and again in the consis, a round before he would have faced Konrath in the consolation semifinal.  

@149 Tristan Sellmer dropped his two matches, both by fall.
@184 Spencer Irick went 1-2

@197 Jake Kleimola got 1st place, but gained wins in both the semifinal and final by medical forfeit, so not sure what to think of that.  Jake really struggled last season not winning a single match.  So far this year he is 4-3 (not including the MFF's).  So there is definite improvement, how much we shall see.  

@285 Brandon Streck dropped two straight

@ The Lindenwood Open there were several Hoosiers in action...

In the Black Division (Frosh/Soph)
@133 Christian Mejia (McKendree) finished 5-1 and in 3rd Place.  He beat fellow Hoosier Ethan Smiley by TF 18-2 in the 3rd/4th place match.
@133 Ethan Smiley (Purdue) finished 4-2 and in 4th Place.  He dropped a 16-9 decision to fellow Hoosier Tanner DeMien in the Quarterfinal.
@133 Tanner DeMien (Lindsay Wilson) finished 4-2 and in 5th Place.  Tanner fell in the consolation semifinal by fall to Mejia.
@133 Carson Willis (Marian) drew the #2 seed and eventual Champion in the first round and finished 0-2 on the day.

@141 Jonathan Moran (IU) finished 2-2 and DNP
@141 Jack Tolin (Northwestern) finished 5-1 and in 3rd Place

@149 Ryan Surguy (Marian) finished 2-2 and DNP

@157 Diego Lemley (IU) had a nice run finishing 4-1 and in 2nd Place
@157 Anthony Mosconi (Marian) finished 2-2 and DNP

@174 Nathan Walton (Cumberland) finished 5-1 and in 3rd Place
@174 Jack Servies (Marian) won his first match then FF his next two matches.  It did not show as a MFF so not sure what happened there.
@174 Sam Osho (Marian) finished 2-2 and DNP

@197 David Eli (Purdue) finished 2-2 and DNP

That was a lot so I will separate the Gold (Open) Division in a different post.

A quick note on Nick Lee at Penn St.  He has waltzed through the bracket to the Final at the Keystone Classic today.  The Placement matches and Finals are about to start and video is available if you have an ESPN+ subscription.  

So far he has 3 Tech Falls and 1 Fall.  He'll face Duke's Josh Finesilver in the Final. 

@ The Lindenwood Open there were several Hoosiers in action...

In the Gold Division (Open)

@141 Logan Hurley (Marian) finished 0-2

@149 Graham Rooks (IU) finished 1-2 and DNP
@149 Isaiah Kemper (McKendree) finished 5-1 and in 3rd Place.  His only loss was to Iowa State's Jarrett Degen in the Quarterfinals.

@165 Trezdon O'Neal (Marian) finished 1-2 and DNP
@165 Kyle Jolas (Lindenwood) finished 3-3 and in 6th Place

@174 Jacob Covaciu (Wisconsin) finished 3-1 and in 2nd Place

@197 Lucas Davison (Northwestern) finished 3-1 and in 2nd Place

Again, my apologies if I missed anyone.

@ The Findlay Open there were several Hoosiers in action...

@125 Sawyer Miller (IN Tech) finished 3-1 (or 4-1 or 5-1) and in 5th Place.  His lost his first round match and won 3 straight in the consolations before getting a FF and then a MFF in the last two matches.  Not sure if one or either count toward his official record.  Note: In many of these tournaments, consolation brackets do not wrestle all the way back to 3rd (or sometimes 5th) place.
Miller defeated fellow Hoosier DJ Smith in the consolations.
@125 DJ Smith (Indianapolis) finished 2-2 and DNP.  He won his first two matches, lost in the Quarterfinal and then ran into Miller.

@133 Enrique Early (IN Tech) finished 2-2 and DNP

@141 Dillon Hurst (Indianapolis) finished 1-2 and DNP
@141 Gaige Torres (IN Tech) finished 4-2 and DNP
@141 Hunter Langeloh (Tiffin) finished 1-2 and DNP

@149 Dawson Combest (Indianapolis) finished 3-2 and DNP
@149 Trace Manspeaker (Indianapolis) finished 0-2

@157 Blaze Lowrey (Indianapolis) finished 3-2 and DNP

@165 Jack Eitlejorge (Indianapolis) finished 4-1 (+ a FF) and in 5th Place
@165 Hunter Reed (Findlay) finished 0-2

@174 Cayden Whitaker (Indianapolis) finished 4-1 and in 2nd Place

@184 Jack Michel (Indianapolis) finished 2-2 and DNP

@285 Dylan Faulkenberg (Indianapolis) finished 3-2 and DNP

Edited by SWINfan

Nick Lee (Penn State) won the Keystone Classic with a 16-9 Major decision over Joshua Finesilver of Duke.

Nebraska wrestled Wisconsin and Wyoming this weekend.  Chad Red did not wrestle Friday night against Wisconsin.  He beat Sam Turner by a 6-2 dec. in today's match against the Cowboys.

I could not find any Unattached/Open results for Brayton Lee at Minnesota or Mason Parris at Michigan.  Both schools had dual meets today with Michigan beating Lehigh and Minnesota losing to Oklahoma State.

11/24

Iowa took down Purdue today in Iowa City 26-9.  Iowa wrestled without a few of their starters.  Purdue won 3 matches - 125, 174 & 285.  #1 ranked Spencer Lee and Sam Stoll did not wrestle.

Dylan Lydy  decisioned Myles Wilson 6-3 @ 174. 

14 hours ago, SWINfan said:

11/24

Iowa took down Purdue today in Iowa City 26-9.  Iowa wrestled without a few of their starters.  Purdue won 3 matches - 125, 174 & 285.  #1 ranked Spencer Lee and Sam Stoll did not wrestle.

Dylan Lydy  decisioned Myles Wilson 6-3 @ 174. 

While a few matches were close losses for Purdue, overall that one did not look good. Especially when you consider Iowa inserting a few backups into the lineup.  Hope the Boilermakers can get themselves back on the tracks after that derailment (pun intended).

On 11/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, MattM said:

While a few matches were close losses for Purdue, overall that one did not look good. Especially when you consider Iowa inserting a few backups into the lineup.  Hope the Boilermakers can get themselves back on the tracks after that derailment (pun intended).

Looked after my post and found that half of Iowa's lineup was out.  Spencer Lee, Lugo, Marinelli, Warner and Stoll.  Would have been much worse, probably more like 40 ish - 3.

13 hours ago, MD92 said:

Marinelli wrestled.  Kemmerer was out at 174.  He probably beats Lydy.  With Iowa's full lineup a shut out would have been likely

You're correct.  That's what I get for trying to remember off the top of my head.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:32 AM, MD92 said:

Marinelli wrestled.  Kemmerer was out at 174.  He probably beats Lydy.  With Iowa's full lineup a shut out would have been likely

Kemerer is our for the year due to season ending surgery.  Tough break for him, but helpful for some of our IN guys. 

Nick Lee with a major decision over Matthew Kolonia of Bucknell 15-5 Friday night.   Lee dominated with well over 3:00 of riding time and all 5 points given up were escapes after take downs.

Kolonia won by TF over Michael DeLaPena earlier this year and lost 8-2 to Paul Konrath of IU.  I believe both of those results were from the Navy Classic.  Lee is now 7-0 on the year and Kolonia drops to 6-4.

Penn State hosts Lehigh Sunday Dec 2.

11/30 - 21/1
A few Hoosier native results at the Cliff Keen in Las Vegas....

@125 Drew Hildebrandt (Central Michigan) went 2-2 and DNP

@141 Chad Red (Nebraska) went 1-2 and DNP.  Red dropped into the consolation bracket after dropping a 2-1 dec to Kanen Storr of Michigan and fell in his next match to Taylor Ortiz of Clarion.

@141 Former Hoosier State Champ Nathan Boston (Campbell) went 3-2 and DNP.

@174 Dylan Lydy (Purdue) finished in 6th Place.  Lydy dropped to the consolations losing by fall to Navy's Spencer Carey.  He won 4 straight making it to the consolation semi-finals.  Flowrestling shows him dropping from that match by NC (??) and the 5th/6th Place match by MFF.   Not sure what happened after the 4 straight consolation bracket wins....  Can anyone that follows Purdue or Dylan more closely fill us in?

My apologies if I missed someone...

Friday 11/30 - IU wins over Northern Illinois 20-14

@133 Garrett Pepple won 7-1 over Alijah Jeffrey

@141 Cole Weaver got his first match of the year, leaving Paul Konrath out of the lineup.  Haven't heard if there was/will be a wrestle off or if that weight has been settled at this point.  Anyone have more info??

@149 Breyden Bailey dropped an 11-4 decision to McCoy Kent.  Bailey wrestled at Northern Illinois last year and transferred to IU.  

Note: Haven't seen any results for Brock Hudkins this year.  Not sure if he is injured, taking a redshirt, etc... He's listed on the NIU roster.  Brock qualified for the NCAA Tournament last year after finishing 2nd in the MAC Tournament.  Updates would be appreciated....

Little State has tons of Indiana wrestlers.. Interesting results

Justin Atkinson (Semi State Qualifier I believe) over two state placers? Dawson Combest and Bailey Moore

Griffin Schermer over Manspeaker and Noah Warren

Kyle Hatch over Eitlejorge 11-0

Darden Schurg over Scottie Sopko 20-7

Nick Brady over Sunny Nier

Brandon James vs Enrique Early in the finals at 133

18 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Note: Haven't seen any results for Brock Hudkins this year.  Not sure if he is injured, taking a redshirt, etc... He's listed on the NIU roster.  Brock qualified for the NCAA Tournament last year after finishing 2nd in the MAC Tournament.  Updates would be appreciated....

Yes, I’ve also been curious about Brock since I haven’t seen any results from this season yet.

Edited by MattM

Penn State and Lehigh are on the Big Ten Network right now.  They started at 197.  Nick Lee should be up shortly.

Update: Lee puts on a TD clinic and falls just short of a TF, winning 23-10.  He had a single leg in the last 10 seconds but couldn't get past the whizzer and get the 2nd leg to finish it.  

Edited by SWINfan

On 12/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, SWINfan said:

11/30 - 21/1
A few Hoosier native results at the Cliff Keen in Las Vegas....

@125 Drew Hildebrandt (Central Michigan) went 2-2 and DNP

@141 Chad Red (Nebraska) went 1-2 and DNP.  Red dropped into the consolation bracket after dropping a 2-1 dec to Kanen Storr of Michigan and fell in his next match to Taylor Ortiz of Clarion.

@141 Former Hoosier State Champ Nathan Boston (Campbell) went 3-2 and DNP.

@174 Dylan Lydy (Purdue) finished in 6th Place.  Lydy dropped to the consolations losing by fall to Navy's Spencer Carey.  He won 4 straight making it to the consolation semi-finals.  Flowrestling shows him dropping from that match by NC (??) and the 5th/6th Place match by MFF.   Not sure what happened after the 4 straight consolation bracket wins....  Can anyone that follows Purdue or Dylan more closely fill us in?

My apologies if I missed someone...

Not sure why, but Purdue did tweet that Lydy would be medical forfeiting his last two matches. 

Cael McCormick Army is 6-2 and finished 3rd at the SIUE tournament. Cael lost to Shields of ASU 19-7 in semis

Ben Harvey Army 11-3 also finished 3rd. Ben lost to Ryan Christenson of Wisconsin in OT in semis

For Uncle Jimmy:  Virginia beat Central Mich. 22-18.  Drew Hildebrandt got a FF at 125 so no matchup with Hayes.

IU lost to Michigan State (UGH!) 16-15.  Some results from IN HS guys....

@133 Garrett Pepple dec. Anthony Tutolo 5-0 - Pepple did it all on top.  Scored on a 4 pt nearfall in the 2nd period and chose top in the 3rd period and rode him the entire period.  Riding time point makes it a 5-0 score.

@141 Cole Weaver went again for IU and beat Austin Eicher 5-3.  I mention this because it is the 2nd match back for Weaver and 2nd straight match Paul Konrath has been relegated to the bench.  Would love to hear about any wrestleoff results between the two.

@149 Breyden Bailey dropped a 5-3 dec. to Jaden Enriquez.

@174 Drew Hughes of MSU won a major dec. over Jake Hinz 11-0.  The extra point in the MD was effectively the match winner.

@197 Jake Kleimola lost a 7-3 dec. to Brad Wilton.

@285 Fletcher Miller dec. Christian Rebottaro 7-4.

Some future matches....

IU wrestles at Michigan Sunday Dec. 9.
Purdue is off until Dec. 29
Nebraska is off until next weekend.  They travel to North Carolina on Dec. 15 and NC State on Dec. 16
Penn State hosts Arizona State on Friday dec. 14 in a match on ESPN2