Hoosiers in College - Results/Updates - 1st Half

Thought I would start a thread that can be updated throughout the season by anyone catching results or info that doesn't need it's own thread.  Way too hard to keep track of everyone so thought a group effort and a central place to find info would be worthwhile.

Here are a few early season results... (My apologies if I miss anyone)

Michigan State Open 11/3
Fresh/Soph Division
133 Ethan Smiley Purdue Unat - 4th
141 Zach Melloh Purdue Unat  - 3rd
157 Graham Rooks Indiana Unat - 5th
184 Thomas Penola Purdue Unat - 4th

Open Division
125 Drew Hildebrant Cent Michigan - 4th
174 Darden Schurg Wabash - 1st
174 Drew Hughes Mich St. Unat - 3rd
285 Mason Parris Michigan Unat - 1st

Brayton Lee finished 3rd at 149 wrestling Unattached for Minnesota at the Daktronics Open last weekend.  Today he finished 2nd at the Bison Open in Fargo ND.  He lost the final to Joshua Maruca of Arizona St, 5-4.  Maruca is ranked #12 by InterMat Wrestle.

Chad Red did not wrestle at the Daktronics Open, though Nebraska brought the rest of their roster.  No reason given for the DNP.
Chad lost 2 of 3 matches Saturday 11/10 at the Journeymen NE Duals, dropping decisions to wrestlers from Utah Valley and Virginia, and winning vs. Drexel.

Paul Konrath wrestling 141 for IU has been busy.  He won in a dual meet at Virginia last weekend and finished 3rd at the Hokie Open, dropping a semi-final match to AC Headlee of North Carolina.  He defeated former Hoosier State Champ Nathan Boston of Campbell in the Quarterfinals.  He won his match in Friday evenings dual against SIUE making him 6-1 on the year.  Note: The win at Virginia was over Sam Krivus who defeated Chad Red at the Journeymen Duals.

Nick Lee will wrestle 141 for Penn St.  The Nittany Lions open their season Sunday 11/11 vs. Kent St followed by the Keystone Classic on 11/18.

I'll see what other results I can dig up when I have a bit more time.

Edited by SWINfan

One other note: 

It is my understanding that Joe Lee will grayshirt at Penn St and be part of next year's class.  He is not on the 2018-2019 roster.  As far as I know he is still in PA training at the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club and will compete in some Open Tournaments.  He has not wrestled yet this year as far as I can find.

Edited by SWINfan

Results from the Princeton Open on 11/4:

Army
125 Colton Cummings - DNP  1-2 or 2-2 (2nd win was MFF) - Lost to Devin Schroder of Purdue in 1st Rd
165 Cael Mccormick - DNP 2-1 lost by Inj Def and MFF out
174 Brian Harvey - 4th Place - Went 4-1 and MFF 3rd/4th place match
197 Gunnar Larson - DNP  0-2

Purdue
141 Alec White - DNP  2-2
165 Tanner Webster - DNP  1-2
174 Dylan Lydy - 1st Place

Penn State won 52-3 with 7 pins, 2 TF's and a loss at 125.

Here is video of the Penn State dual vs. Kent St. Use the slide bar to skip to specific matches.  Works best on Microsoft Edge, but should work on any browser but may have to check ad block software or make sure flash is up to date.

https://www.btn2go.com/embed?id=39372

@ 125 Drew Hildebrandt, Central Michigan dec 13th ranked (InterMat wrestle) Drew Mattin, Michigan 8-4.  Mattin had won their 3 previous matches.  Michigan won the dual 32-12.  The win puts Drew at 3-2 on the season after his 4th Place finish at the Michigan State Open.

Haven't seen any results for Brock Hudkins at Northern Illinois so far.  He has not been in their lineup.  If someone out there can provide an update (redshirt, injury, etc?) that would be appreciated.

Edited by SWINfan

6 hours ago, UncleJimmy said:

doing my part to make the college board great again.

A couple of notes from Wabash....

@ 165 Jared Timberman has started the season 5-0 including a win at the Adrian Invite.
@ 174 Darden Schurg is 4-0 after a dual meet win and the aforementioned Title at the Michigan State Open.

It is my hope that we get multiple contributors throughout the season including reports on some of the guys at DII and DIII schools. Appreciate the start Uncle Jimmy.  If the thread gets too long, maybe we start a new thread each month?

Lastly, it would also be great to get a heads up on upcoming duals and tournaments, rather than just results.  Not only, but especially on the guys that are redshirting and wrestling in Opens rather than with their varsity teams.  Would love to catch matches of Brayton, Mason, Joe Lee and others....  

Edited by SWINfan

Mason Parris made an appearance at the Ohio Intercollegiate Open today, finishing 3rd.  Parris dropped a 15-9 decision to Ohio State RS Frosh Chase Singletary.  He was 4-1 on the day, with 2 falls, a TF and a decision.

Others appearing in the Intercollegiate:

@133 IU RS Frosh Kyle Luigs finished 3rd.  Kyle was 3-1 on the day, losing by major decision 19-5 to Ohio State 5th ranked Luke Pletcher.

@141 IU' RS Frosh Breyden Bailey finished 5th going 4-1 on the day, losing in the Quarterfinal to Ohio State frosh Quinn Kinner.

@149 IU Frosh Graham Rooks finished 3rd with a 3-1 mark.  He dropped the Semifinal by TF to Ohio State 3rd ranked Micah Jordan.

On 11/10/2018 at 10:25 PM, SWINfan said:

One other note: 

It is my understanding that Joe Lee will grayshirt at Penn St and be part of next year's class.  He is not on the 2018-2019 roster.  As far as I know he is still in PA training at the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club and will compete in some Open Tournaments.  He has not wrestled yet this year as far as I can find.

Any particular reason why?

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Glad to see Mason Parris get a top wrestler to see where he stands. Singletary is a stud and was the top 220 recruit the year before mason, and has a year of working in a college room over Mason. 

Not to mention working with Kyle Snyder in that year.  Good measuring stick for sure.  

8 hours ago, BClark said:

Any particular reason why?

I'll add to what Thor already replied.  It's a first world problem Penn State has, but they basically turned 1 recruiting class into two.  Four of their seven recruits are pushing back a year, Lee, Michael Beard, Seth Nevills and Aaron Brooks.  Lee, Beard and Nevills are all in Happy Valley training at the NLWC and Brooks is training at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado. This will help them develop talent and spread the years out to help them all fit into the lineup.  Roman Bravo-Young is stepping right into the lineup at 133 and the other two, Brody Teske and Gavin Teasdale will wrestle in open tournaments and hold their redshirt until after the Southern Scuffle in January, just as Nick Lee did.  One of those two will likely be PSU's 125 later this year.  

For Joe, assuming he lands at 165, he has Vincenzo Joseph with two years left.  He'll still have competition, but doesn't waste a year simply waiting.  

10 hours ago, navy80 said:

Glad to see Mason Parris get a top wrestler to see where he stands. Singletary is a stud and was the top 220 recruit the year before mason, and has a year of working in a college room over Mason. 

Interesting comparing results here:

Michigan St. Open: Parris over Ohio's starter, Zack Parker, 10-4. Parker beats D2 Runner-Up, Kam Teacher twice, 5-4 & 2-0. 

Ohio Int Open: Singletary over Parris 15-9. Singletary over Teacher 8-6 in SV1. 

It seems Singletary/Parris is very much a coin flip.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:00 PM, MD92 said:

Without seeing the match, 15-9 doesn't seem like a coin flip.  I'm sure Parris will identify what he needs to work on to make up the difference.

Maybe not in the head-to-head it wasn't that day--but if you look at all of those other results together, I mean to say that their quality level appears to be virtually the same. Singletary won by an eyelash against a guy that finished 4th in a field that Parris destroyed. Those common opponent comparisons are just as predictive of future success as head-to-head results.

If you take into account collectively all the matches I mentioned above, their quality level appears to be very, very similar.

1 minute ago, maligned said:

Maybe not in the head-to-head it wasn't that day--but if you look at all of those other results together, I mean to say that their quality level appears to be virtually the same. Singletary won by an eyelash against a guy that finished 4th in a field that Parris destroyed. Those common opponent comparisons are just as predictive of future success as head-to-head results.

If you take into account collectively all the matches I mentioned above, their quality level appears to be very, very similar.

Match ups matter though.  Is he just a bad match up for Parris?  Or was it just a bad match?