Possible Ohio State scandal with old wrestling coach

See the article on congressman Jim Jordan, (former OSU) wrestling coach.    Makes you wonder what's up with the Big 10 with Penn State, MSU and then this at OSU.  This one probably wont be that big but if makes you scratch your head.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/powerful-gop-rep-jim-jordan-accused-turning-blind-eye-sexual-n888386

8 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Yetts and Disabato aren't exactly the most credible people out there. Disabato was the one behind Cage Fighter and is basically...scum.

Yea, Disabato's actions in the past are pretty shaddy

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/20/4540660/ufc-star-roy-nelson-cage-fighter-mike-disabato-sponsor-apparel-beef

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/2870-cage-fighter-cf-athletics-vs-jake-herbert/

http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264771

It is interesting,  you have Disabato who has a litigious past including a licensee agreement that went bad with OSU.  You got Yetts with a felonious criminal fraud history.  I wonder if the third guy will come out.   The MSU thing started small and then everybody came out of the woodwork.    Also add,  Jordan has thrown a lot of stones in his political career, which  makes him a target  and this  could hurt Jordan politically.   Ill be curious if more people come out.    Curious to see if some Skeletons come out of Dr Strauss' closet.     If people dig up a history on him, it could escalate this.  

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

We are in a huge movement of Allegations of sexual misconduct coming in to the forefront...gotta let the investigation go through. Hope its nothing to damning but its nothing to be taken lightly. 

I see the issue of the "accusers" but i refuse to fall down that rabbit hole. you cant say a prostitute accusing someone of rape has no case it just needs to be investigated.

ESPN Article says there's 14 accusations against Dr Strauss.   So there's more than just smoke.   With this hitting the public,  I bet more people will make allegations.      The big difference with this and Michigan State is that this was 20 years ago and a lot of water went under the bridge and that Dr Strauss committed suicide in 2005.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/23948342/sex-abuse-inquiry-former-ohio-state-doctor-now-includes-high-school-students

On 7/3/2018 at 12:22 PM, Fabio Jr. said:

We are in a huge movement of Allegations of sexual misconduct coming in to the forefront...gotta let the investigation go through. Hope its nothing to damning but its nothing to be taken lightly. 

I see the issue of the "accusers" but i refuse to fall down that rabbit hole. you cant say a prostitute accusing someone of rape has no case it just needs to be investigated.

Exactly - these two are out for the money and will take down anyone; the bull pucky that "they considered Jordan their friend".  Both Yetts and DiSabato have shown they will fook their friends for anything. Yetts got people he befriended to invest with him, including their retirement savings, and he stole that, before being busted with marijuana distribution, etc. Only served 18 months and he got off light. He originally attended Purdue for football scholarship his RS & freshman year and had a reputation then before bolting for Ohio State to wrestle. 

DiSabato has sued or been sued in just about every venture he has participated in, and is possibly still having money issues; he also has had litigation with Ohio State University; will be interesting to what his brothers say about him or Head Coach Russ Hellickson.   https://www.thelantern.com/2009/11/fighting-for-then-losing-to-ohio-state/ 

Some of the other wrestlers are claiming that they are doing it for the money given the payouts MSU is looking at: 

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/395461-ohio-state-sex-scandal-complicates-jordans-possible-speaker-bid?amp&__twitter_impression=true 

"Pardos, who has been interviewed by investigators, accused some of his former teammates of trying to cash in following Michigan State University's $500 million settlement with hundreds of sexual abuse victims of former university and USA Gymnastics physician Larry Nassar.  

"After Larry Nassar, everyone is seeing dollar signs," Pardos said.

If you have ever had any dealings with either Jeff or Jim Jordan in the 1980's or 1990's, you would find they are two of the most down to earth, no-nonsense people you will ever deal with. They will have your back, but are professional about it - they are not the type of people to be out partying it up with the team, setting a bad example. They are persons of few words, but those few words they did use were important and honest.

13 hours ago, Powerline said:

Exactly - these two are out for the money and will take down anyone; the bull pucky that "they considered Jordan their friend".  Both Yetts and DiSabato have shown they will fook their friends for anything. Yetts got people he befriended to invest with him, including their retirement savings, and he stole that, before being busted with marijuana distribution, etc. Only served 18 months and he got off light. He originally attended Purdue for football scholarship his RS & freshman year and had a reputation then before bolting for Ohio State to wrestle. 

DiSabato has sued or been sued in just about every venture he has participated in, and is possibly still having money issues; he also has had litigation with Ohio State University; will be interesting to what his brothers say about him or Head Coach Russ Hellickson.   https://www.thelantern.com/2009/11/fighting-for-then-losing-to-ohio-state/

Some of the other wrestlers are claiming that they are doing it for the money given the payouts MSU is looking at: 

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/395461-ohio-state-sex-scandal-complicates-jordans-possible-speaker-bid?amp&__twitter_impression=true

"Pardos, who has been interviewed by investigators, accused some of his former teammates of trying to cash in following Michigan State University's $500 million settlement with hundreds of sexual abuse victims of former university and USA Gymnastics physician Larry Nassar.  

"After Larry Nassar, everyone is seeing dollar signs," Pardos said.

If you have ever had any dealings with either Jeff or Jim Jordan in the 1980's or 1990's, you would find they are two of the most down to earth, no-nonsense people you will ever deal with. They will have your back, but are professional about it - they are not the type of people to be out partying it up with the team, setting a bad example. They are persons of few words, but those few words they did use were important and honest.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/report-former-osu-wrestlers-say-jordan-aware-team-doctor-alleged-sex-abuse/9UqmRCllGOn0JeCH3mXecL/

Looks like 5 OSU wrestlers are now coming out saying that Jordan knew about the abuse.    Also,  Russ Helickson (Head coach) even commented in one of DiSabato's videos that he complained to the administration that the Dr was being too handsy.   So Helickson knew,  5 wrestlers knew and Jordan didn't know anything. (Shawn Dailey and UFC champ Mark Coleman)  And 14 former OSU student athletes also have claimed abuse.  You can go after these guys backgrounds.  But DiSabato did win the Big Ten "Medal of Honor" and his he had four brothers wrestle for OSU.    Does it mean anything that he's got in some lawsuits.  He in the apparel business,  there's always licensing disputes when working with colleges and even pro sports like MMA.   So is that the strategy to attack the background of these whistle blowers.   Yes,  you could say they potentially could be getting some settlement money in a class action suit.  But do you think they would go to the point of making this up. 

You could say the same thing about Jordan, with his political career and aspirations.  Yes maybe he is a nice guy, but so was Paterno.   He definitely has the motive to lie to cover up his involvement to CYA.  Look what happened to the staff at PSU and MSU, and that's scaring the crap out of him.    You can say he's nice and honest, but political power changes people.   Also, doesn't look like he has the back of his former wrestlers at OSU.

If Trump wasn't President, this wouldn't be getting much attention at all. 

Here is the crazy thing to me... Wrestler's are pretty mentally tough individuals. If someone touches them and they don't want to be touched, one would think.. the wrestler wouldn't put up with it and destroy the person touching them. That's my first thought. But, I've never bee in that situation so I can only empathize. I have spoken to several female rape victims and they common theme I hear is they don't want to tell anyone out of embarrassment, so it could be that as well.

The second thing that comes to mind is... How does stuff like this happen? Penn State, Michigan State, and now Ohio State? Terrible LEADERSHIP by all involved. 

Third, It's so hard to believe anything with this case because of Jordan's political status. He's a top republican and now he's under attack by all the liberals.. They won't let this go and will go after him hard, simply because of politics and not because of facts...  

Finally, as previously mentioned, $$$$$$ MSU had a HUGE (In Trump's voice) payout and these two former criminals are in for a nice payday. 

4 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Third, It's so hard to believe anything with this case because of Jordan's political status. He's a top republican and now he's under attack by all the liberals.. They won't let this go and will go after him hard, simply because of politics and not because of facts...  

This isn't a liberal thing, this is Disabato looking for money. In the past he has showed support for Jordan.

6 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Here is the crazy thing to me... Wrestler's are pretty mentally tough individuals. If someone touches them and they don't want to be touched, one would think.. the wrestler wouldn't put up with it and destroy the person touching them. That's my first thought. But, I've never bee in that situation so I can only empathize. I have spoken to several female rape victims and they common theme I hear is they don't want to tell anyone out of embarrassment, so it could be that as well.

Everyone is always a tough guy when talking about how they'd react to a situation. There is no telling how you'd react until you're in a situation such as that. Look at the Sandusky scandal as an example of how the perpetrators can work.

On 7/6/2018 at 9:39 AM, Wrestling Scholar said:

Looks like 5 OSU wrestlers are now coming out saying that Jordan knew about the abuse.    Also,  Russ Helickson (Head coach) even commented in one of DiSabato's videos that he complained to the administration that the Dr was being too handsy.   So Helickson knew,  5 wrestlers knew and Jordan didn't know anything. (Shawn Dailey and UFC champ Mark Coleman)  And 14 former OSU student athletes also have claimed abuse.  You can go after these guys backgrounds.  But DiSabato did win the Big Ten "Medal of Honor" and his he had four brothers wrestle for OSU.    Does it mean anything that he's got in some lawsuits.  He in the apparel business,  there's always licensing disputes when working with colleges and even pro sports like MMA.   So is that the strategy to attack the background of these whistle blowers.   Yes,  you could say they potentially could be getting some settlement money in a class action suit.  But do you think they would go to the point of making this up. 

You could say the same thing about Jordan, with his political career and aspirations.  Yes maybe he is a nice guy, but so was Paterno.   He definitely has the motive to lie to cover up his involvement to CYA.  Look what happened to the staff at PSU and MSU, and that's scaring the crap out of him.    You can say he's nice and honest, but political power changes people.   Also, doesn't look like he has the back of his former wrestlers at OSU.

Hearsay and 'being handsy', showering with the team, or allegedly 'holding your nutsack' for a physical cough test a little longer is very, very creepy, but not exactly a reportable abuse. As a matter of fact, if you brought that up today, you would be sued for defamation from the LGBT crowd,  Knew what? If they all claim they never told him, but you had locker room banter that the doctor may have been creepy that doesn't prove anything.  It seems that 30 years ago, all of these 5 claim legitimately of being homophobic of the doctor's actions, which is not a crime (their homophobia); yet from that 'joking around', they expected Jordan to take action to their homophobia? 

Again, none have claimed they directly told Jordan anything of abuse they suffered beyond the above creepy hearsay. Funny how none of the other assistant coaches are being discussed. 

I know most of the 5 who claim 'he knew' through competition and camps. I will take the word of people like Luke Skove, Rex Holman, Lee Kemp, Russ Helickson over guys like Mike Disabato (who is nothing like his brothers) and has rampant legal issues against OSU (and is admittedly having financial issues), or Yetts, who went to prison for weed and ripping off friends & clients of millions, or a roider transfer like Mark Coleman. And Disbato just didn't have licensing issues, he was scamming his current company by putting his sales agreements, while working for his employer, into legal names of other companies he personally owned - that is low class illegal. As to being a 'Big Ten Medal of Honor' winner, every school get's two to four recipients per year and based partially on grades - Ohio State is a fine school, but the academic difficulty there is like getting a diploma in a Cracker Jack box.  I feel bad for the actual victims...

If Helickson had no direct complaints, but talked to the administration to get the creepiness to subside, what else is he to do?  

I can tell you first hand what they Jordan guys are like; they coach hard, will come in and work private one-on-one work-outs for the best or worst guy on the team, and then they go home and take care of business and family in a private way. They are not the type to linger, hang out with the team at bars, etc. It was a coach and student relationship of respect. They are not negative and demeaning, and are willing to put in what you are willing to put in. If you told them of illegal activities, these are not the type of people that take no action - it's not that they are brave, etc., it just the type of no nonsense people they are. 

Tell you what, our assistant coaches had their own locker room and shower, not sure about OSU. But the other irony is the lawyers doing the investigation being Hillary's lawyers. 

Read Holman's statementhttp://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6734&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

And here is what David Range said -  "Range said he never discussed the issue directly with Jordan one on one and did not know whether anyone made a formal report, but he said Jordan was present during group conversations in the locker room about Strauss’s behavior. “We talked about it all the time in the locker room” while Jordan was there, he said. “Everybody joked about it and talked about it all the time.”

Range said Strauss, who has been accused of abusing athletes in more than a dozen sports during his time as an athletic doctor, touched wrestlers inappropriately during examinations and ogled them in the locker room showers. “He just fondled you a little too long while he gave you a hernia check,” said Range, a Cleveland resident who said he is involved in mixed martial arts. “And then he stayed in the showers, like, an hour until everyone was done.”

On 7/7/2018 at 9:50 AM, Y2CJ41 said:

This isn't a liberal thing, this is Disabato looking for money. In the past he has showed support for Jordan.

Everyone is always a tough guy when talking about how they'd react to a situation. There is no telling how you'd react until you're in a situation such as that. Look at the Sandusky scandal as an example of how the perpetrators can work.

Those were young kids - I would expect mature Big Ten Wrestlers to act different. 

35 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Those were young kids - I would expect mature Big Ten Wrestlers to act different. 

It's easier said than done. Whether the allegations are true or not, going to your coach and saying the doctor did an extra examination on you isn't exactly the easiest conversation to have. You can act all tough on a messageboard and say there is no way things like that could happen, but yet they continue to happen. 

Note that this doctor is accused of doing this to MANY teams at OSU, not just the wrestlers.

20 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

It's easier said than done. Whether the allegations are true or not, going to your coach and saying the doctor did an extra examination on you isn't exactly the easiest conversation to have. You can act all tough on a messageboard and say there is no way things like that could happen, but yet they continue to happen. 

Note that this doctor is accused of doing this to MANY teams at OSU, not just the wrestlers.

I lived through that era with creepy trainers - most wrestlers are well informed at that age of what someone is doing. I fear for the younger kids exposed.                                                         

I am sure plenty college kids would be uncomfortable with a request for more than a normal extra coughs, etc. Sorry, but the Larry Nasser pelvic exam is not going to work the same on wrestlers - that would get around fast.  Thus far, the only accusations for the wrestling side of these stories is objectification in showers and doctors during the cough exam. Will be interesting to see what else is reported.

Most important is legitimately addressing true abuse cases.   You just have to know that era of the OSU wrestling team - Hellickson just came over from Wisconsin as assistant and head coach, and had to try and turn OSU around which was a under-performing gold mine. He had some good early guys like Marinelli, the normal Dasabito (Adam), Ramsey, Holman, but then he started landing some of the crazy's and misfits of Ohio instead of the normal Ohio guys he started off with - some strange dudes. Everyone on that list making the accusations Jordan knew something is so predictable to anyone that knew these guys in that era.  Jordan was a boring, no nonsense guy and did not click personally with some of these misfits. 

Will be interesting to see fallout of the Jordan clan with these profiteers salacious accusations that Jordan knew, despite ALL of them to a man claiming they never said anything or knew of any other specific cases. That's a serious character assassination and betrayal...just another example why Jeff & Jim went to Wisconsin in the first place.   

14 minutes ago, Powerline said:

I lived through that era with creepy trainers - most wrestlers are well informed at that age of what someone is doing. I fear for the younger kids exposed.                                                         

I am sure plenty college kids would be uncomfortable with a request for more than a normal extra coughs, etc. Sorry, but the Larry Nasser pelvic exam is not going to work the same on wrestlers - that would get around fast.  Thus far, the only accusations for the wrestling side of these stories is objectification in showers and doctors during the cough exam. Will be interesting to see what else is reported.

Most important is legitimately addressing true abuse cases.   You just have to know that era of the OSU wrestling team - Hellickson just came over from Wisconsin as assistant and head coach, and had to try and turn OSU around which was a under-performing gold mine. He had some good early guys like Marinelli, the normal Dasabito (Adam), Ramsey, Holman, but then he started landing some of the crazy's and misfits of Ohio instead of the normal Ohio guys he started off with - some strange dudes. Everyone on that list making the accusations Jordan knew something is so predictable to anyone that knew these guys in that era.  Jordan was a boring, no nonsense guy and did not click personally with some of these misfits. 

Will be interesting to see fallout of the Jordan clan with these profiteers salacious accusations that Jordan knew, despite ALL of them to a man claiming they never said anything or knew of any other specific cases. That's a serious character assassination and betrayal...just another example why Jeff & Jim went to Wisconsin in the first place.   

Once again you fail to see the point, you don't know how someone would react to that situation. Serial perpetrators such as what this guy is accused of pick their victims very precisely. They go after weak(mentally and physically) individuals and prey upon them. Wrestlers don't often fit that mold, but there are some that do. 

The reason Disabato and company are going after Jordan is he's a lightning rod. Saying that the other assistants or even Hellickson knew and didn't report anything wouldn't create the media fervor that going after Jordan would. It would take a lot of real evidence for anything legal to happen to Jordan. The biggest damage will be perceived character issues

11 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Once again you fail to see the point, you don't know how someone would react to that situation. Serial perpetrators such as what this guy is accused of pick their victims very precisely. They go after weak(mentally and physically) individuals and prey upon them. Wrestlers don't often fit that mold, but there are some that do. 

The reason Disabato and company are going after Jordan is he's a lightning rod. Saying that the other assistants or even Hellickson knew and didn't report anything wouldn't create the media fervor that going after Jordan would. It would take a lot of real evidence for anything legal to happen to Jordan. The biggest damage will be perceived character issues

Its all people just "overreacting" or "getting their feelings hurt" until it happens to you or people you know. Sexual Assault is not a thing you just brush under the rug. You investigate it and handle it after the investigation is over. Trying to tie it to a political party is asinine. Joe is will Jordan face legal ramifications probably not. He can try to file a defamation suit but if any truth is found to be thats a moot point. But dudes is not above the investigation. I go back to my previous example of a prostitute filing a rape charge. Would you discount that? I would hope any decent human being wouldn't and and investigation with due process would be had. 

There is no way he faces legal ramifications.  This is just about him saying he didn't know about it and being a high ranking Congressman, period.  Nobody thinks he helped the guy do it or covered for him.  He was asked about it and he said he didn't know about it and that's what its all about.  The fact that it sounds like there were 12 other head coaches who would be above him involved and that Hellickson asked the admin to get the doctor out of there would surely absolve Jordan here.  This is other wrestlers speculating that he had to know and feeding his political enemies.   There is no justice that can be served other than the administration at the time possibly being punished.  The fact that Jordan is the headline here is messed up.  By the way, I don't like my forum name much anymore.

13 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Y2,  you're right about Jordan being a lightning rod.   Like or love  his politics but he's gone extreme in his slash and burn brand with very little compromise, and he's the assigned the role attack dog going after his political opponents for any perceived irregularity.   His trademark is no mercy and in his political investigations.   Ironically his multiple  accusations are based on govt employees not being responsible on their watch,  and accusing govt employees for not monitoring the people around them and his best attack is claiming employees are immoral for being silent.   And in his investigations, he recommends these employees to be prosecuted and terminated.      Yes he put a target on himself,  but now the shoe is on the other foot and he's the one being accused.     He also backed himself in the corner, originally totally denying the claim.   When Disabato comes at him,  he can pawn it off as Disabato  wanting some class action compensation,  but when 6 other wrestlers step up and the head coach Hellickson  admitting there was an issue that's a whole other ball game.   When that many people step up, the character attack strategy doesn't work so well.   Also,   he then changes story using the old "Donald Trump Locker Room talk strategy".  Yes, the ironic thing was his locker was next to Strauss's, and he really didn't know what was going on.   He really looses his  credibility when he starts blaming the timing of he accusations based his Rosenstein attacks last week.   Yes,  the investigation has been going on since April at OSU and involves all the men's sports teams and at OSU and the investigation is not just about him. And trying to link the law firm to Hillary is even a joke.

Y2,  on your point about wrestlers not fitting into the  mold of being weak (mentally or physically),   it does seem odd to go after wrestlers.   But Dr Strauss was accused of sexual deviance with members of all the sports at OSU including 15 athletes making claims.    The investigation didn't start in wrestling.  I would say all scholar athletes at the OSU D1 level would be mentally and physically tough, not weak.   Albeit Football, tennis, baseball, swimming, gymnastics, basketball, track, etc all these guys are strong and mentally focused on their discipline. The Dr probably had a method on how far he could go with molesting student athletes.

15 hours ago, Powerline said:

Again, none have claimed they directly told Jordan anything of abuse they suffered beyond the above creepy hearsay. Funny how none of the other assistant coaches are being discussed. 

Think of what happened to the staff of people involved at PSU and MSU.   Starting from the athletic director to all the coaches on the staff and to the campus security,   I think they would be worried about their career and reputation based on the results of this investigation.   Of course they're not going to say anything that incriminates themselves.  At least Hellickson had the courage to complain a little bit. 

15 hours ago, Powerline said:

I know most of the 5 who claim 'he knew' through competition and camps. I will take the word of people like Luke Skove, Rex Holman, Lee Kemp, Russ Helickson over guys like Mike Disabato (who is nothing like his brothers) and has rampant legal issues against OSU (and is admittedly having financial issues), or Yetts, who went to prison for weed and ripping off friends & clients of millions, or a roider transfer like Mark Coleman. And Disbato just didn't have licensing issues, he was scamming his current company by putting his sales agreements, while working for his employer, into legal names of other companies he personally owned - that is low class illegal. As to being a 'Big Ten Medal of Honor' winner, every school get's two to four recipients per year and based partially on grades - Ohio State is a fine school, but the academic difficulty there is like getting a diploma in a Cracker Jack box.  I feel bad for the actual victims...

So you know all of the 7 guys that have made statements so well, that you can go online and attack their flawed  character and as being misfits that Jordan didn't like or get a long with being the reason they're now coming at Jordan.   

Yes,  on the "Medal of Honor",  each school gets a female and male recipient each year based on athletic and academic success.     Former winners include John Wooden, Drew Brees, Bob Griese (Purdue has the big names), and aforementioned Mke Disabato.   This is one of the most prestigious awards in the Big 10.

Yes Ohio State is a fine school,   but you say getting a diploma there is like getting a diploma in a cracker box.   My son and his wife  graduated from the Ohio State University and a lot of his good friends did.  They would really be very offended by that comment.   My son got an accounting degree and a good job with PWC in Columbus.  He worked his butt off.  Keep in mind the average ACT for OSU is 29.  I would like to see how many people on this board ever got a 29 or higher on the ACT. 

14 hours ago, Powerline said:

I wrestled at the college level in that era albeit at the NAIA level,  but I don't remember that era as the "Creepy trainers" era.  Maybe I was lucky and missed the creepy guys.  Was there really a problem?

14 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

@Y2CJ41 sounds like someone took their mandatory SafeSport class......good job !!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.