Most Indiana Triple Crowns?

navy80

27 minutes ago, gogoplata89 said:

So you’ve never done it...yet you speak on how it helps/doesn’t help. Makes sense. 

Yes, going up and down collegiate line-ups you’ll find guys that train freestyle and few that train Greco. After wrestling for 19 years I think I’ve earned the right to speak my opinion, Greco a lot of matches are ending very low scoring and not fun to watch. Having one or two big moves in your arsenal I believe benefits a wrestler. But give me a kid that trains freestyle over the kid that trains Greco.

I have never had any of my teams train for Greco State.  I think I went to coach at it once.  I went to Fargo a few times as a wrestler.  Got 3rd as a Cadet in Greco.  I just went to Greco State.  Never practiced it before and only did at camp leading up to Fargo.  I went to Fargo for the Freestyle competition and just happened to do Greco. 

I don’t think competing in any kind of wrestling’s bad....however, time and resources are limited.  We certainly don’t focus on Greco.  My guys can still throw.  Pat Day had a decent headlock. Alex White aka LaterAL.  BLee nasty cement mixer.  We just don’t focus on Greco.  

2 hours ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

Yes, going up and down collegiate line-ups you’ll find guys that train freestyle and few that train Greco. After wrestling for 19 years I think I’ve earned the right to speak my opinion, Greco a lot of matches are ending very low scoring and not fun to watch. Having one or two big moves in your arsenal I believe benefits a wrestler. But give me a kid that trains freestyle over the kid that trains Greco.

The two aren't mutuality exclusive. In fact a full time greco guy, Ben Proviser, just won the Pan Ams in Freestyle after J'Den Cox pulled out. Also, not focusing on greco and saying it's a waste of time are also two different arguments. Nobody in Indiana focuses on greco more than anything else, but its good to get a taste of the Olympic styles for the sake of well roundness. 

8 hours ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

Never did Greco and this was never a concern of mine. To me, it doesn’t make a ton of sense. I don’t think it helps your wrestling much unless you’re going to train strictly Greco. Freestyle makes sense because usually it turns into a takedown battle, which helps all wrestlers! 

Having upper body attacks and feeling comfortable in the over under is a huge. Now with da 4 point nf a 6 point move is a game changer. Go look up a video on Randy Lewis - he would give flying lessons. Also da greco guys are good in da pare tere position. I also would recommend judo - the more in your arsenal da better.

On 5/8/2018 at 1:13 PM, Darrick Snyder said:

I have never had any of my teams train for Greco State.  I think I went to coach at it once.  I went to Fargo a few times as a wrestler.  Got 3rd as a Cadet in Greco.  I just went to Greco State.  Never practiced it before and only did at camp leading up to Fargo.  I went to Fargo for the Freestyle competition and just happened to do Greco. 

I don’t think competing in any kind of wrestling’s bad....however, time and resources are limited.  We certainly don’t focus on Greco.  My guys can still throw.  Pat Day had a decent headlock. Alex White aka LaterAL.  BLee nasty cement mixer.  We just don’t focus on Greco.  

Your best Greco guy and best all around athlete you have coached has been Steve sandefer. 

Where is GrecoCoach when you need him? David McCubbins (90s) was probably the best Greco wrestler pound for pound we have had from Indiana. MattHasbrook was Greco FILA Cadet World Runner-up in the 2000s. You can’t discount total exposure of the hips and legs and still dominate a match. Hugely important to the complete package. Gotta work a Greco week into your practice regimen. 

The County sucks. Oh, and since this is a Triple Crown thread, shout out to Kyle Harden (CIA) and 4x Triple. 

6 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Where is GrecoCoach when you need him?  

I'm still hanging around.  (If you meant Grecoref, I still miss him too.)

The benefits of Greco are outstanding.  Unfortunately, not enough coaches fully understand the style and those benefits.  And even worse are the coaches who actively discourage it.  I don't think Greco is for beginner wrestlers, but training & competing at the regional, national, or international levels can take a good wrestler and make him/her much better with hand fighting, positioning, hip use, defense, etc. along with simply being more comfortable when an opponent ties up upperbody.  Mid-upper weight wrestlers planning on competing in college should get some Greco experience because there is so much upper body positioning required at the next level.

I like the triple crown award because it shows excellence in all 3 styles and a well rounded wrestler.  And even if college coaches don't actively recruit Greco wrestlers, they do notice guys who do all styles.

9 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Where is GrecoCoach when you need him? David McCubbins (90s) was probably the best Greco wrestler pound for pound we have had from Indiana. MattHasbrook was Greco FILA Cadet World Runner-up in the 2000s. You can’t discount total exposure of the hips and legs and still dominate a match. Hugely important to the complete package. Gotta work a Greco week into your practice regimen. 

The County sucks. Oh, and since this is a Triple Crown thread, shout out to Kyle Harden (CIA) and 4x Triple. 

Completely disagree, never once have I worked Greco into a week of practice, and I think I turned okay. Also to a point about the county sucking, the county champs were state runner-ups and never once have we worked Greco for even a practice.

Lastly, if Greco is so important and being pushed by all of you, why are numbers so down at state? 

17 minutes ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

Completely disagree, never once have I worked Greco into a week of practice, and I think I turned okay. Also to a point about the county sucking, the county champs were state runner-ups and never once have we worked Greco for even a practice.

Lastly, if Greco is so important and being pushed by all of you, why are numbers so down at state? 

If turning out okay and earning runner ups is the goal then I agree you guys should continue to ignore Greco. 

10 minutes ago, Sig40 said:

If turning out okay and earning runner ups is the goal then I agree you guys should continue to ignore Greco. 

Oh you right my bad, we were IHSWCA state champions, which is also a goal! Team titles don’t grow on trees, they’re pretty hard to come by. We’ll continue to work on folkstyle, which has worked well for our Brownsburg staff, but thanks for the concern Hector!

30 minutes ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

There are too many coaches discouraging it.

I built a week of Greco into the high school season because one of the HCC teams used to love to throw and we had to know how to stop them.  That's before your time, so I'm feeling old now.

Just now, GrecoCoach said:

There are too many coaches discouraging it.

I built a week of Greco into the high school season because one of the HCC teams used to love to throw and we had to know how to stop them.  That's before your time, so I'm feeling old now.

I understand this, but a week to me seems too much, we just show a few quick counters and move on!

54 minutes ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

This could be the greatest troll job ever.  Started by innocently backing into a topic about something else to post a negative statement about the style.  Then playing out the long con game of questioning the style with the intent of getting responses about Greco's importance.  Even bringing in Snyder at one point to be your accomplice in poking the bear.  Then finally finishing off with a challenge designed to actually increase Greco participation.  Hats off to you sir.  Well played.  :)

Edited by MattM

9 minutes ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

Oh you right my bad, we were IHSWCA state champions, which is also a goal! Team titles don’t grow on trees, they’re pretty hard to come by. We’ll continue to work on folkstyle, which has worked well for our Brownsburg staff, but thanks for the concern Hector!

You keep telling us what you have done and all the things you guys have accomplished, which is all great... but how much better could you guys get. I just don’t understand your thought process that adding more to a wrestlers skill set is harmful or a waste. GrecoCoach and a few others all pointed out the benefits to learning some Greco. 

I can only speak for my kid on this topic and I can tell you that training some Greco has helped his wrestling out tremendously. The most most recent FRL episodes on Flo talked about how much Greco technique can help Freestyle wrestlers. Learning something new is never a bad thing. 

5 minutes ago, Sig40 said:

You keep telling us what you have done and all the things you guys have accomplished, which is all great... but how much better could you guys get. I just don’t understand your thought process that adding more to a wrestlers skill set is harmful or a waste. GrecoCoach and a few others all pointed out the benefits to learning some Greco. 

I can only speak for my kid on this topic and I can tell you that training some Greco has helped his wrestling out tremendously. The most most recent FRL episodes on Flo talked about how much Greco technique can help Freestyle wrestlers. Learning something new is never a bad thing. 

Looking at a team aspect if we show throws we’ll have kids going out there trying to throw and end up getting pinned. To me, it doesn’t seem beneficial to try to learn a throw instead of perfecting a single leg. Perfecting your folkstyle technique will help you more at the college level than rolling with throws.

On 5/8/2018 at 3:20 PM, gogoplata89 said:

The two aren't mutuality exclusive. In fact a full time greco guy, Ben Proviser, just won the Pan Ams in Freestyle after J'Den Cox pulled out. Also, not focusing on greco and saying it's a waste of time are also two different arguments. Nobody in Indiana focuses on greco more than anything else, but its good to get a taste of the Olympic styles for the sake of well roundness. 

Gogoplata89 said it best.

In most cases the best thing a wrestler can take away from a little bit of Greco training is not how to throw but how to prevent from getting thrown. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.