NCAA Seeds/Brackets Are Out!

Here is a quick summary.  I may have missed some and if so, my apologies:

Luke Welch - Castle/Purdue 14 seed - will face Connor Brown of SD St
Elijah Oliver - IU Unseed - faces #9 Ronny Rios (Oregon St?)
Brock Hudkins - Danville/NIU Unseeded - faces #7 seed Taylor Lamont (Utah Valley St) - Lamont is a RS Frosh who has had many battles with Chad Red the past few years in the off season, and one against Nick Lee 

Steven Micic - Hanover Central/Meechigan #2 seed as expected.  Could see a 4th match vs Luke Pletcher in the semis.  Micic has taken the last 2 after a loss early in the year

Nick Lee Mater Dei/Penn St #8 seed - faces Maryland's Ryan Diehl.  Lee majored him 22-10 in their only match this season.  Could set up a rematch with Josh Alber where Lee won by fall at the Southern Scuffle, late in a very close match.
Chad Red - New Palestine/Nebraska Unseeded (this one puzzles me a bit) - faces #7 Seed Brock Zacherl of Clarion.  Zacherl is 28-1 and beat Nick Lee in his 2nd match of the year 6-4.  Wrestled a defensive style against Lee.
Cole Weaver - IU #16 Seed -  faces a pigtail winner between Kyle Shoop of Loch Haven and Vince Turk of Iowa.  
Other Big Ten notes: Illinois Michael Carr who beat Nick Lee at the B1G Championship is seeded #11.  I really thought he would jump Lee.  Tommy Thorn of Minnesota was unseeded.  Thorn should provide a tough opener for #10 seed Mason Smith of Central Michigan.

Jason Tsirtsis gets the 10 Seed and will face Dane Robbins of Air Force in the first round.  This would set up a match against Northwestern's Ryan Deakin who got the #7 Seed.  At least he stays away from top seed Zain Retherford.

Lots of Big Ten focus here, but didn't see any Indiana connections.   The B1G got seeds 3, 5, 6, 7, & 8.  Penn St.'s Jason Nolf gets the 3rd seed.  Nolf has only lost once this year to injury default.  He wrestled twice at the Big Ten and then MFF to 6th.  Seems like a tough penalty to drop the defending champ due to a couple of MFF's that carried the intention to make sure he is healthy for Nationals.  The 2 seed is Missouri's Lavalee, who Nolf destroyed in the National Championship last year.  Bottom line, if Nolf is healthy and his knee can hold up, no one here will beat him.  Though an interesting quarterfinal matchup could loom with Nolf vs. Iowa's Michael Kemerer who got the #6 seed after being ranked #2 most of the year.  He also MFF'd to 6th place at the Big Tens after winning 2 matches.  

2nd Half coming shortly.......

This could be one of the most interesting weight classes (along with 125 and 141 IMO) and is definitely Big Ten heavy, which has 9 of the 16 seeded wrestlers.  IMAR gets the #1 seed with McFadden of Va Tech #2. Followed by Joseph (PSU) at #3, Alex Marinelli (Iowa) #5, Richie Lewis (Rutgers) #6, Logan Massa (Michigan) #7, and Evan Wick (Wisky), Isaiah White (Nebraska), Nick Wanzek  (Minny), Te'shan Campbell (OSU) seeded 10-13.  Keep an eye out for Chance Marsteller (Loch Haven) who is 40-2 on the year and drew a #9 Seed.

Ben Harvey - Cathedral/Army Unseeded - Drew into a pigtail match and faces Tyrel White (Columbia? Cornell? Colorado?).  The winner faces #5 Seed Myles Amine of Michigan.
Dylan Lydy - Ben Davis/Purdue #15 Seed - faces Northweatern's Johnny Sebastian.  Sebastian is 2-1 vs Lydy this year.
The weight is most likely to be a showdown between Penn St's Mark Hall and Arizona St's Zahid Valencia.  Both undefeated, they faced off in the semifinals last year with Hall pulling out a squeaker which included a penalty point for grabbing the headgear.  Hall is the defending champion, but the #2 Seed.  Valencia beat Hall in a pre-season exhibition, in another tight match.

IMO, this class is a battle to see who will face Penn St.'s Bo Nickal in the final.  Nickal, last year's champ seems to have solved Ohio St.'s Myles Martin (3 in a row, I believe) but Martin has won before, including in the 2016 NCAA Final.  No Indiana ties that I saw here.

May be the most wide open weight in the tournament.  I'm sure Ohio St fans would disagree, but I don't see Kollin Moore as a heavy favorite, yet he is the favorite. Jared Haught of Va Tech, Ben Darmstadt of Cornell , NCSt.'s Mike Macciavello, and Penn St.'s Shakur Rasheed will battle to try and knock Moore off.

Shawn Streck - Merrilville/Purdue Unseeded drew #13 seed William Miller of Edinboro.  Like 174, this weight seems to be all about the top 2 and Round 3 between Kyle Snyder and Adam Coon.  Coon is a beast and pushes every bit of 285, but moves very well.  Many consider Snyder the best in the world but gives up a ton of weight choosing to wrestle closer to his Freestyle weight.  Should they make the final like most expect them to, it should be MUST SEE TV!

Wrestling begins Thursday the 15th, if I looked at my calendar correctly!   

Sorry if I missed anyone with Indiana ties!

Edited by SWINfan

2 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Here is a quick summary.  I may have missed some and if so, my apologies:

Luke Welch - Castle/Purdue 14 seed - will face Connor Brown of SD St
Elijah Oliver - IU Unseed - faces #9 Ronny Rios (Oregon St?)
Brock Hudkins - Danville/NIU Unseeded - faces #7 seed Taylor Lamont (Utah Valley St) - Lamont is a RS Frosh who has had many battles with Chad Red the past few years in the off season, and one against Nick Lee 

Steven Micic - Hanover Central/Meechigan #2 seed as expected.  Could see a 4th match vs Luke Pletcher in the semis.  Micic has taken the last 2 after a loss early in the year

Nick Lee Mater Dei/Penn St #8 seed - faces Maryland's Ryan Diehl.  Lee majored him 22-10 in their only match this season.  Could set up a rematch with Josh Alber where Lee won by fall at the Southern Scuffle, late in a very close match.
Chad Red - New Palestine/Nebraska Unseeded (this one puzzles me a bit) - faces #7 Seed Brock Zacherl of Clarion.  Zacherl is 28-1 and beat Nick Lee in his 2nd match of the year 6-4.  Wrestled a defensive style against Lee.
Cole Weaver - IU #16 Seed -  faces a pigtail winner between Kyle Shoop of Loch Haven and Vince Turk of Iowa.  
Other Big Ten notes: Illinois Michael Carr who beat Nick Lee at the B1G Championship is seeded #11.  I really thought he would jump Lee.  Tommy Thorn of Minnesota was unseeded.  Thorn should provide a tough opener for #10 seed Mason Smith of Central Michigan.

Jason Tsirtsis gets the 10 Seed and will face Dane Robbins of Air Force in the first round.  This would set up a match against Northwestern's Ryan Deakin who got the #7 Seed.  At least he stays away from top seed Zain Retherford.

Lots of Big Ten focus here, but didn't see any Indiana connections.   The B1G got seeds 3, 5, 6, 7, & 8.  Penn St.'s Jason Nolf gets the 3rd seed.  Nolf has only lost once this year to injury default.  He wrestled twice at the Big Ten and then MFF to 6th.  Seems like a tough penalty to drop the defending champ due to a couple of MFF's that carried the intention to make sure he is healthy for Nationals.  The 2 seed is Missouri's Lavalee, who Nolf destroyed in the National Championship last year.  Bottom line, if Nolf is healthy and his knee can hold up, no one here will beat him.  Though an interesting quarterfinal matchup could loom with Nolf vs. Iowa's Michael Kemerer who got the #6 seed after being ranked #2 most of the year.  He also MFF'd to 6th place at the Big Tens after winning 2 matches.  

2nd Half coming shortly.......

This could be one of the most interesting weight classes (along with 125 and 141 IMO) and is definitely Big Ten heavy, which has 9 of the 16 seeded wrestlers.  IMAR gets the #1 seed with McFadden of Va Tech #2. Followed by Joseph (PSU) at #3, Alex Marinelli (Iowa) #5, Richie Lewis (Rutgers) #6, Logan Massa (Michigan) #7, and Evan Wick (Wisky), Isaiah White (Nebraska), Nick Wanzek  (Minny), Te'shan Campbell (OSU) seeded 10-13.  Keep an eye out for Chance Marsteller (Loch Haven) who is 40-2 on the year and drew a #9 Seed.

Ben Harvey - Cathedral/Army Unseeded - Drew into a pigtail match and faces Tyrel White (Columbia? Cornell? Colorado?).  The winner faces #5 Seed Myles Amine of Michigan.
Dylan Lydy - Ben Davis/Purdue #15 Seed - faces Northweatern's Johnny Sebastian.  Sebastian is 2-1 vs Lydy this year.
The weight is most likely to be a showdown between Penn St's Mark Hall and Arizona St's Zahid Valencia.  Both undefeated, they faced off in the semifinals last year with Hall pulling out a squeaker which included a penalty point for grabbing the headgear.  Hall is the defending champion, but the #2 Seed.  Valencia beat Hall in a pre-season exhibition, in another tight match.

IMO, this class is a battle to see who will face Penn St.'s Bo Nickal in the final.  Nickal, last year's champ seems to have solved Ohio St.'s Myles Martin (3 in a row, I believe) but Martin has won before, including in the 2016 NCAA Final.  No Indiana ties that I saw here.

May be the most wide open weight in the tournament.  I'm sure Ohio St fans would disagree, but I don't see Kollin Moore as a heavy favorite, yet he is the favorite. Jared Haught of Va Tech, Ben Darmstadt of Cornell , NCSt.'s Mike Macciavello, and Penn St.'s Shakur Rasheed will battle to try and knock Moore off.

Shawn Streck - Merrilville/Purdue Unseeded drew #13 seed William Miller of Edinboro.  Like 174, this weight seems to be all about the top 2 and Round 3 between Kyle Snyder and Adam Coon.  Coon is a beast and pushes every bit of 285, but moves very well.  Many consider Snyder the best in the world but gives up a ton of weight choosing to wrestle closer to his Freestyle weight.  Should they make the final like most expect them to, it should be MUST SEE TV!

Wrestling begins Thursday the 15th, if I looked at my calendar correctly!   

Sorry if I missed anyone with Indiana ties!

Great job CJ,

157 baffles me. 

Nolf is defending champ ramp and gets 3 seed. A freshman gets 1 seed. 

Kemerer 6 and Jordan 7 seed? Three big ten studs on the same side of the bracket. 

Jordan finished 4th at NCAA’s last year. Nolf 1st, and Kemerer 3rd. I know they don’t seed based on last years results but they should. 

10 minutes ago, navy80 said:

157 baffles me. 

Nolf is defending champ ramp and gets 3 seed. A freshman gets 1 seed. 

Kemerer 6 and Jordan 7 seed? Three big ten studs on the same side of the bracket. 

Jordan finished 4th at NCAA’s last year. Nolf 1st, and Kemerer 3rd. I know they don’t seed based on last years results but they should. 

Well a freshman that’s undefeated and a conference champ. Perfectly reasonable to make him the one. Seeds all make sense, probably a little too much focus on conference champs. Medical forfeiting out screwed kemerer. Definitely think the champ is on the bottom half 

Wrestling is different as the conferences have no parity. I compare this to an Indiana state university basketball team going 26-0 in the regular season and getting the top seed over a Purdue team going 22-4. 

Maybe I’m too bias as a big ten fan as I think they have the toughest sos and the committee looks at records more than past results. 

Sign me up for these matchups:

125: Semis of Cruz-Suriano/Lee-Tomasello

133: Would love a Gross-Micic final 

141: Yianni-Meredith rematch (would love to see a Lee upset)

165: IMAR vs Cenzo rematch 

174: Hall vs Zahid rematch

285: Snyder vs Coon rematch

Mildly excited:

184: Nickal vs. Martin (I'm still interested in this rematch)

Not that excited about:

149: Zain (love watching him wrestle but no real challengers)

157: Healthy Nolf and then everyone else

197: although it could factor in team race