TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS - 170/171

base

Jayruss had idea of showing a seeded bracket from last 16 years of state champions. Had to combine some weights. Seeding based on

1. Winning pct - shows dominance that season
  2. Grade - gives advantage to more experience
  3. Number of state titles - advantage to continued success (last number on each line)
  4. Season wins

image.png.9decbe2362bcb3fbf4293dac7f60f675.png

2 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Mauer over Hughes in probably the best match you could have..Mauer just didn't lose in the finals and had a uncanny ability to pull off the barn burners and imho had 3 of the best finals matches ever over Hobbs,Newport and dolley

I remember one year I think Maurer beat two undefeated wrestlers by a point or two. 

As great as he was, he could win those close matches lol a champ 

4 minutes ago, navy80 said:

I remember one year I think Maurer beat two undefeated wrestlers by a point or two. 

As great as he was, he could win those close matches lol a champ 

He beat undefeated monster Jonathan Brownlee in OT at 145..Brownlee was the most jacked 145er I've ever seen..and was a hell of a wrestler..brownlee got anxious and threw a headlock in ot and Blake wasn't having it..Brownlee was a MONSTER In greco too.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

He lost to Cooper from Bloom South wrestling up at 152 early his soph season.  Wrestled up again during the team state series and beat him in a rematch.  he lost to Joe Dennis from St. paris Graham in a close one his junior year.  Dennis was ranked very highly if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, MD92 said:

He lost to Cooper from Bloom South wrestling up at 152 early his soph season.  Wrestled up again during the team state series and beat him in a rematch.  he lost to Joe Dennis from St. paris Graham in a close one his junior year.  Dennis was ranked very highly if I remember correctly.

That’s what it was, knew it was like an Ohio team. I think someone posted the results from that at some point.

1 hour ago, Jayruss said:

Who beat Mauer his junior year ? I remember him dropping one to Flynn from Castle I believe his Soph year. 

Maurer bumped up and lost to B South. I believe it was at team regionals held at Vincennes, I was there but my memory is terrible. 

5 hours ago, leaveitonthemat said:

Hughes wasn't as strong on his feet.  Maurer is getting a few takedowns and my guess is he will not chose down.  

There was only one person during Drew's final two years that got a few takedowns on him and that was Alex Marinelli. He wrestled a tough schedule in the off-season and no one else dominated him on his feet to the tune of "a few" takedowns.

On top of that, Drew was never afraid to choose top...such as at the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic. 

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Maurer bumped up and lost to B South. I believe it was at team regionals held at Vincennes, I was there but my memory is terrible. 

Maurer bumped up at the beginning of the season and lost to Bloom South (Cooper).  He bumped up again for rematch during the team state series and beat cooper.

52 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

There was only one person during Drew's final two years that got a few takedowns on him and that was Alex Marinelli. He wrestled a tough schedule in the off-season and no one else dominated him on his feet to the tune of "a few" takedowns.

On top of that, Drew was never afraid to choose top...such as at the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic. 

His senior year I saw him taken down by a kid that was much less than 4 time state champ Maurer.  I think Maurer beats him on his feat all day.  Hughes was arguably one of the best ever on top, so the question for me is if he did choose top, could he turn a 4 timer?

3 minutes ago, leaveitonthemat said:

His senior year I saw him taken down by a kid that was much less than 4 time state champ Maurer.  I think Maurer beats him on his feat all day.  Hughes was arguably one of the best ever on top, so the question for me is if he did choose top, could he turn a 4 timer?

Who was that individual? There are many times where guys of Hughes' level give up takedowns to much lesser guys. That doesn't mean they are trash on their feet though. Heck, I even get takendown by a high schooler once in a while.

There is no question that Maurer was better on his feet, but how much better and better enough to negate Drew's top game? 

Just now, Y2CJ41 said:

Who was that individual? There are many times where guys of Hughes' level give up takedowns to much lesser guys. That doesn't mean they are trash on their feet though. Heck, I even get takendown by a high schooler once in a while.

There is no question that Maurer was better on his feet, but how much better and better enough to negate Drew's top game? 

So you think that Drew could turn him?  That's the hard part with this match up.  Regardless if Drew gives up 1 takedown or 3, if he doesn't turn him, I don't think he's winning. 

3 minutes ago, leaveitonthemat said:

So you think that Drew could turn him?  That's the hard part with this match up.  Regardless if Drew gives up 1 takedown or 3, if he doesn't turn him, I don't think he's winning. 

Don't know, depends on the ref stopping it for potentially dangerous. He had the ability to turn anyone in the country minus Marinelli.

Who was the lesser guy that took Drew down?

Giving up one takedown and getting an escape, then an escape when it's his choice sends the match to overtime. If he makes it past the sudden victory the ride-outs and ultimate overtime greatly benefit Drew.

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Don't know, depends on the ref stopping it for potentially dangerous. He had the ability to turn anyone in the country minus Marinelli.

Who was the lesser guy that took Drew down?

Giving up one takedown and getting an escape, then an escape when it's his choice sends the match to overtime. If he makes it past the sudden victory the ride-outs and ultimate overtime greatly benefit Drew.

Alex Dolly disagrees.

4 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Alex Dolly wasn't the same level as Hughes 

I've been to multiple tournaments during Hughes time in HS where he didnt give up a single takedown. He was facing MI state champs and IL and OH placers, so he was at a high level on his feet in HS. Albeit not as good on the feet as Maurer as Y2 and others have pointed out. That said the separation isnt as great on the feet as the top game strongly favors Hughes. As a true freshman in the MSU room to perform as well as he did on top against the best conference in the country showed how truly elite his top game was. Maurer didnt have the neutral skills to make him standout immediately at the next level, like a Desanto, so i think that gives Hughes a greater degree of skill separation. Does that translate into a victory for Hughes? Maybe

4 hours ago, MD92 said:

Maurer bumped up at the beginning of the season and lost to Bloom South (Cooper).  He bumped up again for rematch during the team state series and beat cooper.

Cooper also was a state champion in Washington iirc..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.