Best Career

MD92

Who had the best career?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Best Career?

• Mason Parris
    • Brayton Lee

15 minutes ago, Brian said:

Most of that is because Mason is a more well-rounded athlete and participates in other sports. Since neither the thread title or opening post clearly mentioned wrestling, you could also consider Mason's accolades in football and T&F.

I think Mason has better potential in college, only because of his athletic nature and the lack of that in the HWT class.

Mason can't play football unless Michigan has a football scholarship for him and to my knowledge that is not on the table.  It could happen at some point, but Coach Harbaugh generally keeps scholarships full (or full +) so it's doubtful unless it happens later.  The NCAA does not allow an athlete on scholarship to play football without using football money.  It's the rule that countered what Coach Bryant supposedly used to do by having half a team on golf and tennis scholarships.

I was killing time watching matches on You Tube today and found Mason Parris frosh semi-final match against Chase Osborn in 2015.  I had forgotten how close, and slightly controversial that match was.  A quick recap:

Osborn controlled the match early with 3 take downs, getting in on a single leg fairly easily and finishing strongly.  Mason battled to stay in it with a mix of reversals and escapes.  About mid-way through the 2nd period Mason started to change the momentum.  Osborn got his 4th TD :30 into the 2nd period to lead 8-3.  Mason reverses to make it 8-5 at the one minute mark of the period.  The match was marred with several delays for blood time all the way down to :02 remaining.  It certainly disrupted the flow of the match. Mason let's him up to make it 9-5 and can't take him down buy fights off shots that were scoring early, ending the 2nd at 9-5.  Parris starts the 3rd period down and finally gets the escape @ 1:22, making it 9-6.  A quick low show from Mason nets a TD followed by a quick release making it 10-8 @ :59.  A standing go behind and a brief scramble and Parris ties it at 10 w/ :41 remaining.  More blood time at :32.  After blood time, MP let's Osborn up so they start neutral.  It's 11-10 w/ :32 to go.  Mason gets in a shot but Chase fends him off until Mason makes a quick move that would have resulted in a TD but he runs out of room and they go out of bounds at :19.  At this point Mason tried everything but Osborn is on skates.  Osborn backs straight off the mat and gets a stalling warning.  :08 to go.  More blood time. Same exact thing, Mason pushes, Chase backs off the mat. Parris asks for the stall call along with the crowd, doesn't get it.  Back to the middle w/ :02 left.  More blood time.  Caution on MP on the whistle.  Reset, add :02 back and Paris shoots, Osborn backpedals off the mat again.  No stall call again, to the dismay of a very loud crowd.  Final Score 11-10 Chase Osborn.  

The match was a true tale of two halves.  One can 2nd guess whether Mason should have let him up when tied 10-10 at :30 left, but he had taken him down twice in less than a minute.  One can wonder if there was no blood time, how would the match have turned out.  But that's wrestling and Chase Osborn goes on to finish an undefeated season and a State Championship.  Mason wins another close match to finish 3rd and never loses a HS match again, netting 3 State Titles along the way.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:16 AM, bbulldog152 said:

I've been told that he doesn't plan on playing football. Now I'm sure that could always change. Regardless he weighed 218-219 most matches, I've been told his natural weight during football was 230 but all weight loss to 220 was pretty natural.

If this info is accurate, it wouldn't be easy for him to wrestle 197 in college with the length of the college season.

On 2/21/2018 at 4:05 PM, backtothemat said:

I think Mason has better potential in college, only because of his athletic nature and the lack of that in the HWT class.

I don't know if I agree. Not about the athletic part, but there are always some monsters in the D1 HWT class. Going under these guys can be deadly.

I'm confident Parris will do very well, but I'm not sure he wouldn't fair better at 197 if he could handle staying at that weight efficiently. It's just a shame that college has nothing between 197 & 285 - kind of silly really.

They are both phenomenal wrestlers all of Indiana has been lucky to witness. Period. Lee creditials are higher outside of IN b/c Parris was a great football player. Well not b/c... I should say that’s b/c that’s the way life is... Both guys I am glad to have met & spoke to. I think both kids compete in the future for an Olympic medal. Thanks for the memories fellas! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.