2018 Team State Classification data

maligned

7 hours ago, littlevito said:

I think the classifications you posted are what should stay. It's this year's teams earning the points. Even though two schools are consolidating, and others closing. It doesn't change the fact of what they were during the qualification process. Other wise you open up a variety of argument issues for teams.

What argument issues would you be referring to?  You are in favor of keeping schools that will not exist next year in the classification for next year?

Zero logic in that.

I agree with the guy from Jay County. If you add the three closures to Tech or even half, it brings them to over 3000 students. Close Northwest, Broad Ripple, Arlington, Turkey Run & Rockville, then add Parke Heritage you end up with 302 schools. Cannot make assumptions on Shortridge or Attucks, but past precedence (Muncie) should be followed with Tech. This should divide you to 100 / 101 / 101 , which moves Jay to the 100 slot. However, EMD chooses to move up to 3A which then moves them to 100 and Jay to 101 and the move to 2A.

In my opinion due to the ridiculous difference in students from 1 to 100. I would like to see the IHSWCA consider adding another class, although the gap is still large, it makes sense.

Class 4A: 32 Teams - 8 Qualifiers

Class 3A, 2A & 1A: 90 Teams each - 12 Qualifiers

Is it along the same lines what IHSAA does with football? Yes. But the IHSWCA follows the IHSAA in regards to school reconfiguration every two years when the information is available to do so annually. Which even makes more sense as it seems we have closures and consolidations annually.

Edited by WadeDuPont

1 hour ago, WadeDuPont said:

I agree with the guy from Jay County. If you add the three closures to Tech or even half, it brings them to over 3000 students. Close Northwest, Broad Ripple, Arlington, Turkey Run & Rockville, then add Parke Heritage you end up with 302 schools. Cannot make assumptions on Shortridge or Attucks, but past precedence (Muncie) should be followed with Tech. This should divide you to 100 / 101 / 101 , which moves Jay to the 100 slot. However, EMD chooses to move up to 3A which then moves them to 100 and Jay to 101 and the move to 2A.

In my opinion due to the ridiculous difference in students from 1 to 100. I would like to see the IHSWCA consider adding another class, although the gap is still large, it makes sense.

Class 4A: 32 Teams - 8 Qualifiers

Class 3A, 2A & 1A: 90 Teams each - 12 Qualifiers

Is it along the same lines what IHSAA does with football? Yes. But the IHSWCA follows the IHSAA in regards to school reconfiguration every two years when the information is available to do so annually. Which even makes more sense as it seems we have closures and consolidations annually.

JC is 99th in enrollment among qualified wrestling schools--not 100th. They're 100th in enrollment among all IHSAA schools. Unfortunately, they would be the last or next-to-last school in 3A in every feasible scenario for handling the IPS situation. 

Edited by maligned

48 minutes ago, maligned said:

JC is 99th in enrollment among qualified wrestling schools--not 100th. They're 100th in enrollment among all IHSAA schools. Unfortunately, they would be the last or next-to-last school in 3A in every feasible scenario for handling the IPS situation. 

I understand that however, adding Tech back into the mix puts Jay at #100 of qualified wrestling schools. With the closures of the a fore mentioned schools and the consolidation of two would then make the total qualified wrestling schools to 302, which should then make the classes at 100/101/101. Now with EMD choosing to move to 3A they would become #100 moving Jay to #101.

Am I thinking wrong?

If we moved to four classes, which it at the very least should be discussed, its a moot point.

3 minutes ago, WadeDuPont said:

Wasn't that already done in the above numbers?

image.png.371310a1a8e2e65f160a4b8738ad9028.png

These are teams that entered 2 or less wrestlers.  Teams that enter 3 or more wrestlers are considered.  Because you have a better chance to win a dual with 3 wrestlers than you do 2 (sarcasm)

Or, what the 2 yahoos above me said

Edited by infowrestling

Just now, infowrestling said:

He has the power to move your post behind his to give the appearance that he posted first............this is what I believe has happened

I wasn't going to say that, but I was thinking it.  I think it's pretty clear I posted first.

11 hours ago, littlevito said:

I think the classifications you posted are what should stay. It's this year's teams earning the points. Even though two schools are consolidating, and others closing. It doesn't change the fact of what they were during the qualification process. Other wise you open up a variety of argument issues for teams.

4 hours ago, bog190 said:

What argument issues would you be referring to?  You are in favor of keeping schools that will not exist next year in the classification for next year?

Zero logic in that.

Still interested in your "argument issues" here...

20 minutes ago, bog190 said:

Still interested in your "argument issues" here...

I don't have any specific argument it was a generalization, but someone will come up with something. In the end, the fact that we have to base a next year's team and state situation on this year results will always be the biggest issue and argument. There are plenty of teams that end up being worse the next season but still qualified, while other teams end up being more competitive the next season and probably belong at the team state tournament. But we have to deal with what we get. The IHSAA dropping team state was a huge black eye on our sport. What the IHSWCA has been trying to do, although not the perfect situation, is what we need for our sport. The team atmosphere is what can help programs build numbers.

5 minutes ago, littlevito said:

I don't have any specific argument it was a generalization, but someone will come up with something. In the end, the fact that we have to base a next year's team and state situation on this year results will always be the biggest issue and argument. There are plenty of teams that end up being worse the next season but still qualified, while other teams end up being more competitive the next season and probably belong at the team state tournament. But we have to deal with what we get. The IHSAA dropping team state was a huge black eye on our sport. What the IHSWCA has been trying to do, although not the perfect situation, is what we need for our sport. The team atmosphere is what can help programs build numbers.

Fair enough.  I just don't see any way that it makes sense to include teams in the classification process that will not have programs in the year being qualified for.

17 minutes ago, bog190 said:

Fair enough.  I just don't see any way that it makes sense to include teams in the classification process that will not have programs in the year being qualified for.

True. It also doesn't seem right to include teams that mathematically can't win a dual meet. That's where inclusion and champion collide within the system. We are wanting to build a model that hopefully the IHSAA will adopt one day. There guidelines for inclusion is much different than the common person with wrestling knowledge. They also only care about the outcome and money. One champion, one profit. Until there is actually someone within the IHSAA that has an understanding about not just our sport but all sports and what coaches need and want. It will be an uphill battle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.