Evansville Semi-State Pre-Preview

navy80

This semi state can be summed up with one sentence... IHSAA NEEDS TO ADD WRESTLE-BACKS AT SEMI STATE!! We could see a state champion lose to another state champion in the ticket round. Doesn't get any crazier than that! Mooresville Regionals leads the field, followed by Evansville North, Bl. South, and Jeff bringing up the rear. STUDS GALORE! 

1.      Montgomery 31-3

2.      Dalton 35-0

3.      Alstot 32-1

4.      Ross 27-2

5.      Scott 30-4

6.      Gardner 26-3

7.      Smith 27-10

The top 4 are pretty solid and are ahead of the field. However, the loser of Montgomery/Dalton will be put in a tough position battling Alstott/Ross in the ticket round, pending the draw.

1.      Cash 40-2

2.      Boarmen 27-0

3.      Petro 32-2

4.      Casebolt 29-4

5.      Spears 36-1

6.      Conley 26-8

7.      Sutton 39-3

Very open weight class with any of the top 4 having a chance to win it. The bottom three can easily sneak in a state berth.

1.      Campbell 22-6

2.      Boe 28-3

3.      Egli 27-2

4.      Rioux 25-7

5.      Anutunez 30-1

6.      Hunt 20-3

7.      Fuqua 33-2

WOW! I would not want to draw into 120 at the state finals! You’ve got 7 studs here who can wrestle and most have state experience. Any of the top 6 can win it.

1.      Garcia 30-2 State Champ

2.      Rooks 35-1 State Champ

3.      Mills 16-4 runner up

4.      Egli 25-4 ?

5.      Willis 29-3 3x SS ticket rounder

6.      Denny 34-2 State Qualifier

May be the deepest weight class in any semi state. Every other semi state will cringe when they see they drew into the Eville SS! Two state champions, a runner up, a three time SS ticket rounder, and not sure about Egli.  LOADED! Everyone pray to the bracket Gods that Rooks doesn’t get the Garcia/Mills loser or the Willis/Egli loser! Don’t be surprised to see the top 4 here place top 4 at state.

1.      Rooks 37-0

2.      Dickens 28-1

3.      Craig 28-3

4.      Krietzer 25-3

5.      Sullivan 24-4

6.      Sego 27-8

7.      Reynolds 22-8

8.      Bethe 23-4

Rooks and Dickens the top of the field here. 3-8 fight for 3rd and 4th.

1.      Combest 36-1

2.      Miranda 27-6

3.      Mulkey 25-2

4.      Lee 25-3

5.      Hunt 32-3

6.      Kincaid 23-8

7.      Triestch 35-3

Anyone in the top 5 can win it. Another weight where whichever SS draws into this weight will cringe. LOADED! The loser of Mulkey/Miranda will be rolling the dice for who they draw!

1.      Sellmer 20-0

2.      Conely 21-7

3.      Schoenegge 33-4

4.      Pruett 35-3

5.      Fitts 25-5

Top four could win it and Fitts could sneak in if the draw falls his way.  Sellmer? Conley? Schoenegge? Wow! Tough weight.

1.      Lee 23-0

2.      Blubaugh 35-1

3.      Pollitt 27-6

4.      Deters 29-3

5.      Wathen 31-6

6.      Schrader 38-3

Lee wins by tech/fall.  Blubaugh and Pollitt will bring in 2nd and 3rd and all three should place top 8. But Deters does have a win over BB.

1.      Mappes 36-0

2.      South 37-1

3.      Schank 37-1

4.      Weidner 28-5

5.      Osho 28-5

Mappes should win but will be tested by South.  Mappes and South will place top 8. Schank broke onto the scene last year with as a state qualifier and won a state championship in football, where he was a vital RB for the team.

1.      Brewer 29-2

2.      Hays 34-2

3.      Fuller 40-2

4.      Carson 25-4

5.      Willham 32-2

6.      Beineke 29-6

Any of the top 5 can win it. Stacked weight class!!

1.      Walton 31-0

2.      Guerier 26-0

3.      Mosley 37-0

4.      Nunn 26-6

5.      Conde 23-9

WOW We could see 3 undefeated wrestlers! Walton should win but he will be tested by Guerier and Mosley.

1.      Sonner 41-0

2.      Gofourth 33-3

3.      Rolley 26-6

4.      Glaze 21-8

5.      Smith 37-6

Relatively weak weight for Eville but nonetheless, expect Sonner to win and fight for a top 4 finish at state. Others will be making a name for themselves.

1.      Hammond 32-0

2.      Boots 29-1

3.      Lichlyter 26-3

4.      Sisk 33-3

5.      Aiken 30-3

Good to see Hammond back after he qualified for the state finals as a freshman.  Will be an interesting weight class to see unfold.

1.      Peterson 26-1

2.      McCubbins 33-1

3.      Hillenburg 28-3

4.      Comer 30-6

5.      Cheam 33-3

6.      Goff 34-2

Stacked weight class where I can see any of the top 6 winning. Comer has been a roll lately but can he keep it up? The Mooresville Regional will be a deciding factor on how this plays out.

Edited by navy80

Nice work!   My only critique or suggestion is when putting together a list like this, use wrestlers first names and teams as well.  Not all of us have everyone in the state memorized and it would be nice not to have to go back and forth between the post and the rankings.  I know it's extra work, but it would be appreciated by me and I would think at least a few others.  

A note on Clay Egli at 126.  He wrestled 106 two years ago and lost in the ticket round to Brycen Denny of Monrovia.  That half bracket had Cayden Rooks, Asa Garcia, Denny and Egli.  Those are the kind of ticket round matches that are expected this year.  Last year, Egli got beat out by Eli Dickens and would have had to wrestle off against his brother Kane to move down in weight and chose not to (as I heard it).  So he wrestled JV last year, waiting his turn.  Definitely state qualifier type wrestler.

46 minutes ago, Jayruss said:

26,38, 82 sweet Jesus !

I hear ya. I'm so pumped for this years SS. Just about every weight class is loaded with some of the Nations finest right here at home. I feel like a kid in a candy store. Not that I'm trying to give any ideas, but this is a high dollar event with the talent that's being represented right here. Best of luck to all that punch their ticket this weekend to be part of this spectacular event. 

1 hour ago, 1prouddad said:

I hear ya. I'm so pumped for this years SS. Just about every weight class is loaded with some of the Nations finest right here at home. I feel like a kid in a candy store. Not that I'm trying to give any ideas, but this is a high dollar event with the talent that's being represented right here. Best of luck to all that punch their ticket this weekend to be part of this spectacular event. 

What's the long term weather forecast for that weekend look like at this point?

9 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Nice work!   My only critique or suggestion is when putting together a list like this, use wrestlers first names and teams as well.  Not all of us have everyone in the state memorized and it would be nice not to have to go back and forth between the post and the rankings.  I know it's extra work, but it would be appreciated by me and I would think at least a few others.  

A note on Clay Egli at 126.  He wrestled 106 two years ago and lost in the ticket round to Brycen Denny of Monrovia.  That half bracket had Cayden Rooks, Asa Garcia, Denny and Egli.  Those are the kind of ticket round matches that are expected this year.  Last year, Egli got beat out by Eli Dickens and would have had to wrestle off against his brother Kane to move down in weight and chose not to (as I heard it).  So he wrestled JV last year, waiting his turn.  Definitely state qualifier type wrestler.

Yeah I’d like to but I didn’t have time. 

Thanks for for the info on Egli. Mater dei always has studs on jv

6 hours ago, SWINfan said:

What's the long term weather forecast for that weekend look like at this point?

They're kind of hesitant at this point. Saying snow this Sat and Sun then more snow next Tues and Wed. Accumulation has bounced around with temps just above freezing. 

19 hours ago, backtothemat said:

When you have 5 of the top 8 3A team State finishers and 6 of the top 12 3A you know there's gonna be great wrestling and heart break ticket round matches.......

Definitely can't wait to watch the whole tournament From bout 1 at 106 to the  bout 224 Heavyweight 3rd/4th match.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.