Weigh-in on a Monday question

bbulldog152

We have a meet on Monday so I want to clarify the weigh-in rules as for as allowances go. So Both teams have a meet Saturday and are not allow to practice on Sundays. Are we able to get an additional 2 pounds or stick to the original 2 pounds. I just want to clarify before we agree to either way.

1 minute ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

Even if both teams wrestle just two days prior?

Correct. The reason for the pound allowance when a school can't practice is to help with the unfair advantage that they are still competing against a school that is able to practice. Since in Indiana it is against the rules for Sunday practices, the allowance rule doesn't factor in. I had it happen a few years ago, had a makeup meet fall on a monday, and there were no additional allowances allowed. 

2 hours ago, bbulldog152 said:

We have a meet on Monday so I want to clarify the weigh-in rules as for as allowances go. So Both teams have a meet Saturday and are not allow to practice on Sundays. Are we able to get an additional 2 pounds or stick to the original 2 pounds. I just want to clarify before we agree to either way.

Section 5 article 5 NFHS will answer your question.

Phil Cook

5 hours ago, Fabio Jr. said:

Then it would go in to affect but I think (I may be wrong here) it only applies if one of the teams was able to practice?

I'm not as well versed in this as I am some other things. Usually on this stuff I reach out to Mr. Faulkins or the IHSAA directly 

Yes the wording references a team being unable to practice, not school being canceled. But as stated any clarification would be best made by Mr. Faulkin at the IHSAA since his word ends up being what goes.  

2 hours ago, MattM said:

Yes the wording references a team being unable to practice, not school being canceled. But as stated any clarification would be best made by Mr. Faulkin at the IHSAA since his word ends up being what goes.  

I was assuming most schools are like us, No school due to weather no practice.

1 hour ago, takemtothemat said:

I was assuming most schools are like us, No school due to weather no practice.

School superintendent decision.  Some schools are that way.  Others leave it up to the AD or coaching staff to made a decision, with safety in mind.  

In our school system if a cancelation occurs due to weather we are not allowed to hold any morning practices. If coaches feel the weather threat has passed they are allowed to hold early evening practice, unless the AD or superintendent sends a directive that no practices will be allowed.  However, these practices can not be made mandatory and no penalty can given to an athlete for not making the practice.   

32 minutes ago, MattM said:

School superintendent decision.  Some schools are that way.  Others leave it up to the AD or coaching staff to made a decision, with safety in mind.  

In our school system if a cancelation occurs due to weather we are not allowed to hold any morning practices. If coaches feel the weather threat has passed they are allowed to hold early evening practice, unless the AD or superintendent sends a directive that no practices will be allowed.  However, these practices can not be made mandatory and no penalty can given to an athlete for not making the practice.   

Common sense should prevail. Thanks for the info.

Phil Cook

Before the question gets asked....

Holidays (such as MLK on Jan 15) do not count either. If you wrestled on Saturday, could not practice on Sunday due to IHSAA rules, had no school on the Monday holiday (but could still practice) and had a match on Tuesday, there is no additional weight allowance :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.