Middle School Weights

Dwilly

The current offering for middle school dual tournaments is great in central Indiana, and hopefully throughout the entire state. Weekly the weight classes seem to fluctuate. Why do the weight classes vary week to week depending on who is hosting the tournament? Why don't all tourneys use Middle School State Tournament weights? This isn't a complaint...just a question; however, I don't see how consistency wouldn't be a positive, but possibly there is a valid reason I have not considered. 

That makes sense. It does seem that we see non Middle School State weight formats more than we do.  USA Winter Nationals & USAW Preseason Nationals were also different than the State weights. Regardless, its doesn't matter much. Just curious.

The Indiana Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (IIAAA) website does list some suggestions for Middle School wrestling.  Here is what they have posted concerning weights, weigh-ins and other matters:

RULE 63 – WRESTLING (BOYS) 

1. The recommended weight classes for a middle level combined team are: Change weight classes to: 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 155, 165, 180, 215, 285. 
2. Wrestlers may move up one weight class, but not down. Also 180, and 215 may not move up. 
3. Weigh-ins may be done before school lunch time under the supervision of the coach and an appointed administrator. The wrestler gets one chance to weigh in. Once the wrestler weighs, they may eat lunch. Weights must be faxed, emailed, or telephoned to the opposing school before 2:00 PM on the day of the contest. 
4. The only time a wrestler is given a one-pound allowance is for Monday meets, after a three-day holiday, or the second meet of back-to-back meets. 
5. Excessive weight loss is not condoned. 
6. The maximum number of dual meets should be 14. A student or team may participate in the following: (a) 14 interschool dual meets and one tournament or (b) additional tournaments may be scheduled with each counting as 2 of the 14 dual meets.

My AD has adopted the weight classes but will still have kids weigh-in before the meet rather than at lunch.

I had heard as recently as last year that there was a big push to try to use weight classes starting at 70 and going every 5lbs up to 100 and then using HS weights after that.  This seems to make a lot of sense to me but its getting everyone to agree and be on same page that is the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 9:36 AM, JMILL said:

I had heard as recently as last year that there was a big push to try to use weight classes starting at 70 and going every 5lbs up to 100 and then using HS weights after that.  This seems to make a lot of sense to me but its getting everyone to agree and be on same page that is the issue.

This is what our middle school program has done. 70 by 5's up to 100, then use the high school weights with a couple extra weights between 195 and 285.

• 1 month later...

just wanted to point this out to everyone but thee is a section under High School forum at top in the IHWCA section that is talking about MS state and forming a committee to making changes for 2019 and beyond.  Anyone with ideas and wants to have changes made needs to get on this committee and make a difference instead of just complaining on this message board (we enjoy reading about your complaints but would also like to see you happy and making a difference......LOL)

check it out again its under HS Forum at top under IHWCA threads

Our MS team has already wrestled under 3 different sets of weight since the start of the season.  Plus I know we will have at least 1 more different set of weight later in the year that we haven’t encountered yet.    

It’s a headache for coaches especially when we hear about the weight classes just a couple days prior to the meet.   Not to mention a pain for the wrestler that should be worrying about improving and not constantly fluctuating weight classes.  

Start at different times of the year, that’s fine doesn’t hurt anyone you face. Have slightly different equipment rules, I can live with that since it’s your guys.   Have different period lengths, OK at least it’s even for both wrestlers.  Keep having to change weights through the year and not get told until days prior to the meet, that’s unfair to the team if not even teaching some the bad habits of fluctuate their weight constantly to fit into that weeks new weight class.     

I pushed for a number of years to try to have a more universal set up weights at least in our area but some AD/coaches are stubborn in their ways and in other cases the coaches change the weights yearly to what best aids that years team. With no MS governing body it will take most teams adopt a universial weight set before enough influence will be put on those type of schools to finally conform as well.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.