plastics

southernpride

Should MS wrestlers ever use them NO.

Is is against MS wrestling rules?  Well there isn't any actual MS governing body and rule set in Indiana, so most MS programs just adopt a modified version of the HS rules.  So the issue of plastics being illegal would be unclear.  As far as it being illegal for ISWA Middle School State that would specifically point to the rules that governing body, and USA Wrestling, has in place for all youth athletes.

But again should they use them to make cut weight NO.  Should MS and Elementary wrestlers be cutting lots of weight in any way. Again NO.  If a few days of better portion control (not starving) and hard wrestling workouts don't get them real close to weight then that's probably not the weight class they need to be wrestling.  Sure they may have to run a little that morning to get off the last few tenths of a pound, but no to the extent of using plastics or any similar item to get there.  Really this is about the same logic that should be applied to most HS age wrestlers too.  

I get other kids may do it, and I also get that some of them end up being great wrestlers despite how they made weight, but if you really look at both side there are just as many stories of wrestlers not having success after a hard weight cut, or hating the sport due to constantly having to make weight using these type of methods.  It's MS work on improving the technique, getting mat time, and learning from your mistakes.  Get them educated early on healthy dieting, portion control, and self-restraint.  Don't go down the road that will developing a negative attitude towards what it take to make weight class.  Constantly cutting weight each year using extreme measures is one of the biggest negatives wrestlers will say about the sport, and I would guess a leading cause  for "burn-out."  And don't self create yet another excuse for the wrestler (like lack of energy from cutting) for why you weren't able to beat a tough opponent.

Edited by MattM

1. No

2. If it's a lb or two over a couple day period sure, but not 1-2 lbs right before weigh ins. It's middle school, who cares what weight they're at? Wrestle natural weight to help build long term strength. 4 good matches at natural weight is better than a miserable feeling 8 matches for 8th.

3. Not sure of governing rules for MS, depends who is hosting the tournament.

Kids cutting weight at a young age makes it hard for them to want to do it in HS and could drive them away from the sport. I've seen it many times, kids think and feel that they have to lose 5-10+ lbs. They feel and act miserable during the season. The typically look terrible and long term damage from cutting excessive weight could lead to long term kidney problems due to hydration/dehydration fluctuations. 

Edited by sslaymon

I find in middle school most kids naturally lose 5-20 lbs depending on their body style. Asking a kid to maintain a weight that they are at or slowly dropping during season is acceptable and teaches them the importance of making weight. Cutting weight is different, but younger kids fluctuate weight a lot. I kind of feel the same way for high school. Hard for kids to learn and train when cutting weight all the time.

Officially, no to plastics. Did I use them in High School, yes. Used responsibly, they are not much different than a sauna.

Rare cases of kidney damage, usually the cases that result in death is complete organ failure typically starting with kidneys.

Not sure if there is a link to kidney damage from long term use. My medical education tells me no, but I guess if you were cutting weight year round than it could.

Warsaw, sorry I should clarify from experience not general terms and it could be something else. However the two that I know that are having kidney problems now, are ones that cut excessive amounts of weight and did it often. I'm talking 15-20 lbs within a day during HS season. Felt they needed to cut that much to be competitive. Nothing like some guys going from 120 range down to 103 within a day. Constant fluctuation and always miserable during the season.

No to plastics for kids.

Plastics have been contributed to the deaths of college wrestlers in the past.

Kids are going to cut weight how they want without a responsible adult around.

Time spent improving technique is better than time cutting weight.

If you are between weight classes than it is not hard to get to next weight class down with a clean diet.

The weights are so close together in middle school anyways.

Wrestling right after a tough cut of mostly water is a bad idea.

Lots of data out there about absorption rate of liquids, food etc.

It is bad math to believe you can recover in one hour after weigh ins and be anywhere near full strength.

What percent of muscle is water anyways...

Edited by Mat Shark

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.