InterMat Update January 11

Mater Dei wrestled Graham in Columbus, Ohio as a precursor to the National Duals.

Here are the results from 2001 when Mater Dei went to the Cheesehead

http://grapplinghost.typepad.com/the_grapplin_ghost/files/cheesehead_2001.pdf

Obviously the event has grown tremendously since 2001.

Mater Dei wrestled Graham in Columbus, Ohio as a precursor to the National Duals.

Here are the results from 2001 when Mater Dei went to the Cheesehead

http://grapplinghost.typepad.com/the_grapplin_ghost/files/cheesehead_2001.pdf

I am now helping coach at Kaukauna in WI. The team that hosts the Cheesehead it is pretty awesome event. Not always a good event to be locked into though haha it is a meat grinder.

The Cheesehead would currently be off limits as there is an AZ team attending.

And unfortunately based on other teams travel distances we wouldn't be able to grow with those type of events.

Portage will be competing in the Brecksville, OH Holiday Tournament next year, but to lock it up they essentially have to say that they understand our travel "dilemma" and won't accept a team from too far away.    

That's pretty decent of them to do.  I'm not sure you would get that from too many event, especially if its a multi-year contract. Although, to my early point, it does limit the competition they and the other teams could have potentially faced.  Hopefully they will still end up running into some top OH squads and if they are lucky a couple of teams that could be just across that OH boarder.

Edited by MattM

To clarify, the boundary rule is 300 miles from any point of the state border and has nothing to do with the location of the school or the tournament?  So in theory, a team can wrestle in a tournament in Ohio against any school  that resides within 300 miles of any part of the Ohio border?

To clarify, the boundary rule is 300 miles from any point of the state border and has nothing to do with the location of the school or the tournament?  So in theory, a team can wrestle in a tournament in Ohio against any school  that resides within 300 miles of any part of the Ohio border?

No that is not correct.

Indiana schools in any sport cannot travel more than 300 miles from ANY border(that part is correct). On top of that any school that is at the event must also reside within 300 miles from any of Indiana's borders.

For instance, around 2003(give or take a year) Mater Dei went to Columbus, Ohio for a few duals. They wrestled St. Paris Graham and some other teams. However, they could not wrestle a West Virginia team that had traveled there.

No that is not correct.

Indiana schools in any sport cannot travel more than 300 miles from ANY border(that part is correct). On top of that any school that is at the event must also reside within 300 miles from any of Indiana's borders.

For instance, around 2003(give or take a year) Mater Dei went to Columbus, Ohio for a few duals. They wrestled St. Paris Graham and some other teams. However, they could not wrestle a West Virginia team that had traveled there.

Gotcha!  Somehow I didn't think I had it  right.   Screwy rule.  Anyone know the original purpose of it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.