Numbers at Youth Folkstyle State

There were 1235 in 2014 and 1330 in 2013. Seems like a downward trend starting. I'm really going to push this harder as a club coach next year. We are a newer club so parents are still hesitant to send their kids. Hopefully that will change soon. What are some things we can do as a community to bring the involvement level up in our sport?

I like your thinking.  These are points and questions that I keep asking......for some reason people are more focused on fighting and arguing their stance.  I personally have been in the process of pushing more freestyle/greco this year.  I have found a few coaches that have had past experience in Greco (which is hard to find), that are willing to have a few clinics in north/mid indiana.  I also am going to try working with 3-4 surrounding schools to work together to build wrestling in this area, as a group.  One of the biggest problems I have ran into is finding coaching staff to help.  Hopefully with combining 3-4 local schools we can overcome this issue.  It would be nice to get help from people that have experience building programs and running tournaments, but I'm not sure that will happen.  I have hinted and posted to suggest this, but have never been taken up on it. 

Over 1163 registered...what was this about not even hitting 800?

Once again quote the whole thing and not just parts that fit your argument.  I said at this time we are under 800.  I also stated that I thought numbers would be lower, because of a new selection process.  You corrected me on this and like you said there was no change.  I know I should never doubt the great and powerful Y2. 

Edited by warsawwrestling

Just a thought, are some schools starting their spring breaks this weekend or am I a week early? I know a lot of schools, at least in the Indy area, are going to the "graduated" calendar and maybe the spring break is ridiculously early this year?

The only way to get our participant #'s up is to continue promoting the sport at a young age and getting them introduced. We've gone to a more of a fun relaxed practice with little guys to encourage them to come back year after year. We aren't quite as competitive, but I'm more interested in having a big group of kids that once they get to middle school can turn over to an academy, or work one on one with me to really step up their game. 

Either way, ISWA is trying to get more people back to the local tournaments. They're not trying to handcuff anyone on purpose, they would just like to see more participation at the local events. For the ISWA to focus on one style, would be pretty bad, as it'd lose it's primary money maker and any funding for their organisation would be strapped. I do believe that Freestyle state should maybe be a couple weeks later.

My thoughts, maybe the ISWA waive the fees or something, that would help out a few dollars for each club hosting a freestyle/greco tournament. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.