Starting Him Young

GusMan

I'd say in a few years take him to some local youth tournament and HS/MS events. When he keeps showing interest in what they are doing on the mat and continues to try and emulate the moves then it maybe with trying a local youth practice. If it looks like he showing a real interest during practice to learn moves and during live shows the desire to win then you can start him at some local events. At least with that approach it's allowing him to take control of his level of interest in the sport rather than throwing him out there when he's not into it yet.

4 or 5 is the youngest I would think to start.  And obviously have a TON of patience as it will take lots of time to see any sort of progress.  During the first few years of starting it should be all about having fun out there and doesn't matter what the results are so enjoy the ride dad whenever you decide to get him involved  !!!

Coaching youth for about 7-8 years now, I've seen some people throw their 4-5 year olds out there and expect a chamion out of them within 2 months of wrestling. Start it slow and take it easy. 4-5 age group is best, as their attention span for practices is slowly starting to open up(for some). Anything younger, the demand is high to get them to pay attention and their attention to moves is almost nonexistant. As JMILL mentioned, take him to some meets and get him introduced and see what they do. Take him to practice once he turns 4 years old. Just be patient and try not to force anything or it could just make it worse. If it doesnt work well within a week or two, then try again next year. Just don't force the sport upon him if he doesn't want to do it.

I would also suggest, if you take him some place, let the coaches run the practice and make him listen to the coach. I've had too many dads come in and try to teach their kid while going through practice and it doesn't work very well.

I think it also depends on the kid.  My oldest has been crazy about it from the beginning.  My second son started out strong but now is wanting to back off some.  Now my 3 year old daughter is chomping at the bit to get out there.  She gets mad at me every time we go to a tournament because she can't wrestle.

We have a local rec league with our elementary schools.  We allow pre-k but we give those kids/parents a grace period to see if they are really interested in it.  Some kids take off, some need another year or two.  Take him to matches and bring him around the wrestling room and see what happens.

Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.