Elkhart Truth News Paper - Goshen Regional

statskeeper

Four area wrestlers regional champs for second straight year

Posted: 02/02/2013 at 8:00 pm

By: Steve Krah

skrah@etruth.com  

GOSHEN — Elkhart Memorial High School junior Tieshawn Johnson spent a little over two minutes on the mat Saturday in rolling to the 195-pound title at Saturday’s Goshen Regional wrestling tournament.

So dominant was Johnson that he scored three pins — in 31 seconds, 1:06 and :49 — in helping the Crimson Chargers to a runner-up finish to East Noble in the team standings. The Knights reigned in six of 14 weight divisions and scored 185 points — 44 more than Memorial.

“I’ve had some tough practices,” said Johnson, who has been training with senior Kain Jenkins (the regional runner-up at 182) and getting pointers from former state champions Nick Corpe and Steve Stahl and state runner-up Ryan Stahl — all former Memorial wrestlers. “I try to come out and dominate every match.”

Johnson (34-3) is one of six individual champions from Elkhart County and one of 33 grapplers from The Elkhart Truth area to gain a berth in next Saturday’s Fort Wayne Semistate at Memorial Coliseum.

The top four finishers — 56 athletes — advanced from Goshen to Fort Wayne. The top four at semistate move on to the State Finals in Indianapolis.

Johnson and Jimtown seniors Tanner Adams (170) and Nick Crume (126) repeated as regional champions in the same weight class while Fairfield junior Forrest Glogouski won at 120 this year after placing first at 113 in 2012.

Adams (170) moved to 39-1 on the 2012-13 season by scoring two pins and having Memorial’s Tommy Kendall default because of injuries in the finals.

“My confidence is up,” said Adams, whose only loss this season came in December during the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association State Duals at Westfield. “I have confidence in my wrestling.”

Adams, who has overcome opponents while dealing with occasional migraine headaches, said he will work this week on his “gameplan” and his mindset for semistate.

“I can’t let them intimidate me,” said Adams. “I have to control the match.”

Crume, who has been ranked No. 1 statewide by IndianaMat.com, moved to 30-0 with two pins, including one against Fairfield senior Brett Martz for the title, and a major decision.

Glogouski, who became Fairfield’s first 100-match winnner and the school’s career victory leader earlier this winter, improved to 37-0 with a pin, a technical fall and 6-0 decision against Jimtown junior Konner Chafin in the finals.

Elkhart Central senior Johnny Tredway (26-5 at 160) and NorthWood senior Zach Telschow (32-3 at 182) took Elkhart County’s other crowns.

Tredway produced a pin and two convincing decisions while Telschow notched two pins then outlasted Memorial’s Jenkins 9-7 in the finals.

There were four rematches of last week’s Elkhart Sectional finals — at 120, 126, 170 and 182 — with the same wrestler prevailing this time around.

Goshen senior Travis Pickard placed fourth at 152 after suffering torn rib cartilage, an injury that required he be carried out of the gym on a stretcher. He was back by the end of the tournament. If he is unable to go next week, the alternate (fifth-place finisher) at 152 is Fairfield junior Tony Zook.

Goshen Regional

Team scores (semistate qualifiers in parentheses): East Noble 185 (9), Elkhart Memorial 141 (7), Jimtown 116 (5), Fairfield 89.5 (5), Northridge 86.5 (7), Goshen 73 (3), Fremont 7 (3), DeKalb 56.5 (4), West Noble 47.5 (2), Elkhart Central 42 (2), Westview 37 (2), NorthWood 34 (1), Angola 31 (1), Central Noble 31 (2), Prairie Heights 27 (1), Lakeland 23 (1), Concord 18.5 (1).

(Top 4 to Semistate)

Championship Summary

106 — Garrett Pepple (EN) dec. Blake Glogouski (Ff) 8-3. 113 — Connor Knapp (EN) dec. DeLawrence Gayfield (Con) 4-3. 120 — Forrest Glogouski (Ff) dec. Konner Chafin (J) 6-0. 126 — Nick Crume (J) pinned Brett Martz (Ff) :51. 132 — Zach Krumlauf (D) pinned Cody Koebel (J) 3:18. 138 — Jacob Weimer (EN) dec. Tylor Willms (Fr) 1-0. 145 — Tyler Householder (EN) maj. dec. Austin Bauer (A) 11-0.

152 — Connor Brummett (D) maj. dec. Tim Deters (Nr) 14-3. 160 — Johnny Tredway (EC) dec. Jesse Maley (EN) 9-4. 170 — Tanner Adams (J) by injury default against Tommy Kendall (EM). 182 — Zach Telschow (NW) dec. Kain Jenkins (EM) 9-7. 195 — Tieshawn Johnson (EM) pinned Zach Goodyear (WN) :49. 220 — Brandon Joest (EN) dec. Eliseo Guerra (EC) 10-7. Hwt — Drake DeMuyt (EN) pinned Justin Lee (CN) 4:45.

Consolation Summary

106 — Scotty Huff (G) maj. dec. Eugene Moody-Neukom (EN) 8-0. 113 — Kyle Mockensturm (PH) dec. Brian Mullett (Wv) 3-1. 120 — Sterling Lutter (EN) dec. Hunter Leskowyak (Fr) 3-1. 126 — Jermel Moody-Neukom (EM) maj. dec. Devin Puckett (Nr) 11-2. 132 — Taylor Grim (WN) pinned Trever Yoder (Ff) 3:28. 138 — T.J. Thompson (L) dec. Ryan Baxter (Nr) 5-4. 145 — Nick Vaughn (EM) dec. Logan Williams (D) 1-0.

152 — Chris Morris (EM) by injury default against Travis Pickard (G). 160 — Ricky Short (Fr) pinned Morgon Cosby (Ff) :29. 170 — Evan Smith (G) dec. Scott Kasten (Nr) 7-1. 182 — Elijah Eckert (CN) dec. Taylor Warren (Wv) 4-2. 195 — Ross Walker (EN) pinned McKenna Malcolm (Nr) 1:51. 220 — Chris Connell (Nr) dec. Cody Spurgeon (J) 7-4. Hwt — Hayden Schmucker (G) dec. Lucas Wickey (Nr) 6-1.

Next: Qualifiers in Fort Wayne Semistate Saturday at Memorial Coliseum.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.