Congrats Coach Struck - USA Wrestling Coach of the Year

http://plaindealer-sun.com/main.asp?SectionID=5&SubSectionID=50&ArticleID=17552

Danny Struck named national Coach of Year

Sharon Hamilton

A former Jennings County High School wrestler who is now the head coach of the Jeffersonville High School team was presented with a national coaching award.

Danny Struck received the National Developmen-tal Coach of the Year during the USA Cadet/Junior National Championships in Fargo, North Dakota last week. USA Wrestling, the national governing body for the United States Olympic Committee, honors one coach for the work they do in developing athletes and programs for future Olympians.

Struck has been head wrestling coach for the Red Devils for the past nine years and has been the head of the Team Jeff Wrestling Club. During his tenure, Struck's teams have won 254 dual meets with 37 individual Hoosier Hills Conference champions, 48 semi-state qualifiers and nine state qualifiers.

"It was very nice to be recognized for my years of work," said Struck. "My goals are to make the Team Jeff Wrestling Club and Jeff High the best in Indiana, and to make Indiana the best club state in the nation, and to continue help making the United States the premiere wrestling country in the world."

To receive this award each of the five regions of the USA Wrestling selected their regional coach of the year. A panel selected the national coach of the year from those five recommendations.

"I have never tried to win an award, except for a state title," Struck continued. "That is our team goal. Our purpose is to make kids the best people they can possibly be. I appreciate someone noticing, it feels nice to know your peers know your working hard for them."

Struck was a 1995 graduate of Jennings County High School. He wrestled under Hall of Fame coach Howard Jones and was on three of his sectional championship teams and four of his HHC championship teams. From there Struck wrestled for Hall of Fame coach Terry Wetherald at the University of Indianapolis. Wetherald is considered the father of JCHS wrestling since he was the first coach at the school.

Struck also played football for JCHS. Struck's parents, Dan and Jane, still reside in North Vernon where his dad is in his 45th year of teaching at JCHS and his mom was a long-time teacher at St. Mary's Catholic School.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.