Two Indiana natives Herman and Elkins on UFC 131

MattM

My feeling is this is a must win to stay in UFC for Omigawa and possibly Elkins too. So we could have a solid prelim bout.

Dave "Pee Wee" Herman fighting on the Main card against a BBJ standout who is just now moving up the MMA ladder.

Though it seems it wasn't clear cut Elkins did get the win and is starting to build some steam in the UFC.

Herman had a slugfest ending in a Knockout victory to add to his long list of wins.

Though it seems it wasn't clear cut Elkins did get the win and is starting to build some steam in the UFC.

Herman had a slugfest ending in a Knockout victory to add to his long list of wins.

Not sure Dana would agree about Elkins gaining steam. He made it a pretty big deal afterwards about Omigawa won and even paid him his win bonus.

Not sure Dana would agree about Elkins gaining steam. He made it a pretty big deal afterward about Omigawa won and even paid him his win bonus.

Well gaining steam in the wins department.  By getting another win in the UFC he's still a viable fighter for them to work with.  Where as losing would have place him on a two fight skid and probably in danger of falling off their radar.

Whatever you think or don't think about this particular fight, I'm sorry, but UFC judges have shown themselves to be equal-opportunity screw-ups.

I think it really comes down to training judges specifically for MMA events.  I still think many of the current ones are still just transfers over from Boxing and other sports who are only now gaining a decent understanding of MMA.  To get a truly well judges fight I think we have to wait until more former MMA fighters, refs, or trainers becomes judges.  Since they will have enough insight into the details of the sport to understand which fighter is attempting true moves from all positions and which ones just look like they to the average viewer based on appearance.  Even then you are taking a chance taking it to the judges if you haven't sent a clear statement throughout the entire fight.

I think there are some very simple things that could be done to eliminate some of the mistake decisions. 

1. Go to five 3-minute rounds with 30 seconds of rest between each.  More rounds means less opportunity for one mistakenly scored round to affect the outcome.

2. Encourage more scoring disparity for rounds.  (10-9 is a very narrow difference, 10-8 is a clearly controlled round, 10-7 is clearly controlled with a near finish, 10-6 has multiple near finishes).  It's crazy that a guy has to be knocked senseless 5 times for someone to get a 10-8.

3. Prioritize the importance of certain activities.  For example, a near submission from the bottom is worth more than a takedown and one minute of control with no damage done.  A certain number of quality leg kicks is worth a significant head strike.

4. Force officials to stick to criteria or they're not invited to judge again.

If even just #1 and #2 were done, I think it would make a world of difference.