GSP moving up, yes, no, maybe so

Penguin145

At the fight for the troops this year, Dana White announced that if GSP wins the fight against Jake Shields he will fight Anderson. Yet, in the post fight interview he was a bit timid and veered off topic when asked about fighting Anderson. I think GSP wants to fight Anderson, but is also a little scared of finally losing. I dont think he will move up.

GSP has been very good over the last few years of not getting himself in danger and continuing to score points.  But, going to be hard to stay in safe positions most of the fight against a motivated Anderson Silva.  Plus as I mentioned if a different post to put on the weight and get used to the weight class the right way GSP would want a long time to prepare and I'd almost want a tune up fight if he could get the right opponent.  So making the actual fight date a little harder to figure out.  Be easier of Silva would drop down to a catch weight but I'm not sure if that possible or if he would want to if it was.

I used to think GSP would have a shot at Silva.  After watching him again grind out a decision victory against Shields, I don't think he has a shot against Silva. 

He would basically have to do what Chael did, but he's not as big or strong as him.

He would basically have to do what Chael did, but he's not as big or strong as him.

All Chael did was take Anderson down and ground and pound. GSp has probably the best takedowns in the UFC and can ground and pound pretty well. And for the strength portion, GSP is just as strong as an unsterioided Chael. GSP has amazing strength and his gymnastics work outs are getting him even stronger.

Taken from an article:

"Why would fighters risk millions of dollars in sponsorships and other benefits of being a champion by trying too hard to finish the fight? Why wouldn't they just take a safe route to victory?  St-Pierre epitomizes this school of thought. There is simply too much at stake for him to lose."

I think GSP is a tremendous fighter and athlete but he would get destroyed by Anderson Silva.

You don't have to agree with me, but I look at GSP like most look at Fitch.  He rarely tries to finish, and I'm sick of watching 5 round fights every time.  I won't buy a card with GSP as the main event, I don't care how hard they promote that fight (unless is against Anderson Silva).

He rarely tries to finish, and I'm sick of watching 5 round fights every time. 

GSP didnt try to finish his last fights because of the strategy he uses. He didnt want to try to tap Shields because Shields strength is on the ground. GSP took him down to win the rounds of course and no one has the conditioning GSP has, his strategy was to see if he can outlast Shields then TKO him. When he fought Koscheck (A wrestler) he took him down and kept him down since Koscheck doesnt have good jiu jitsu, and GSP definatly won the stand up game by the look of Koschecks eye. He straight up beat Hardy, and Alves didnt go anything agaisnt him. You can hate on GSP all you want, but he strategizes his fights better than anyone. He may be a bit boring at times, but he is being smart. If you look at Anderson Silvas fight agaisnt Maia, Anderson was scared to go on the ground with him. That is Silva being smart, not going to his opponents strength. That is what GSP is going.

GSP didnt try to finish his last fights because of the strategy he uses. He didnt want to try to tap Shields because Shields strength is on the ground. GSP took him down to win the rounds of course and no one has the conditioning GSP has, his strategy was to see if he can outlast Shields then TKO him. When he fought Koscheck (A wrestler) he took him down and kept him down since Koscheck doesnt have good jiu jitsu, and GSP definatly won the stand up game by the look of Koschecks eye. He straight up beat Hardy, and Alves didnt go anything agaisnt him. You can hate on GSP all you want, but he strategizes his fights better than anyone. He may be a bit boring at times, but he is being smart. If you look at Anderson Silvas fight agaisnt Maia, Anderson was scared to go on the ground with him. That is Silva being smart, not going to his opponents strength. That is what GSP is going.

I don't know we have to agree on GSP.  I think he is a great fighter and a top P4P guy.  However, that doesn't mean I have to like his style.  I get why it's intelligent.  I just won't buy a card with GSP headlining anymore. 

I don't know we have to agree on GSP.  I think he is a great fighter and a top P4P guy.  However, that doesn't mean I have to like his style.  I get why it's intelligent.  I just won't buy a card with GSP headlining anymore. 

much how I felt after Silva/Maia, Silva/Leites, and Silva/Cote matches.

GSP = playing it cautious so he takes the least amount of damage on the way to a win.

Silva = a unmotivated so is content with scoring on some quick moves and then waiting the match out the rest of the time.

But in some cases it does look similar watching the long drawn out match.

But i guess if you train that hard for 6 months, its dumb to just knock out a guy in 20 seconds.

It's less about you getting the quick finish and more along the lines of it being dumb to train for 6 months then get caught quickly since you went out half cocked trying to put on a show and finish things quickly.

I agree with others that say GSP is a little too small to simply "add 15 pounds of muscle" and be just as good at 185 as he is at 170.  At some point you receive diminishing returns when your quickness and reach advantage are sacrificed.  For example, I think anyone 5'8" or shorter should really be at 155 or below to maximize ability.  At 5'10", I think 170 is right where GSP should be for maximum dominance (190 and ripped walk-around weight).  Still not saying he couldn't beat Silva, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with others that say GSP is a little too small to simply "add 15 pounds of muscle" and be just as good at 185 as he is at 170.  At some point you receive diminishing returns when your quickness and reach advantage are sacrificed.  For example, I think anyone 5'8" or shorter should really be at 155 or below to maximize ability.  At 5'10", I think 170 is right where GSP should be for maximum dominance (190 and ripped walk-around weight).  Still not saying he couldn't beat Silva, though.

GSP's head trainer, Firas Zahabi, has already come out and said if GSP is to move up, he most likely won't be adding any more weight. He was at 195 for his last fight, and he doesn't think he can keep his speed if he adds any more muscle. For his frame, he's pretty much maxed out. He did say that if he were to fight Silva, that they would probably look to get up to 205 to help in controlling Silva on the ground.

If I'm not mistaken, the reach advantage would only be about an inch.

Yeah, I looked it up.  Apparently the actual arm reach is about an inch and a half difference according to what they have published.  However, the height advantage is around 4 inches which could be a bigger factor with Silva's kicks and knees. 

Should be interesting how GSP game plans for a larger opponent who also has a great standing game and decent ground game to contend with.  Not sure GSP could win if he couldn't study Silva.  But with the right stratagy and finding a way into the optimal positions can give anyone a chance.

Yahoo Sports is saying that UFC 140 will be at December 10, 2011 at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. If it is in Canada and that far away GSP is going to fight there.It seems he only fights in Canada, and they are reporting Diaz vs GSP is going to get penciled in.

GSP vs Diaz would be a great fight. GSP's first real, legit challenge since Penn.

The Primetime's would be great. Classic good vs bad.

I disagree with this.  I think GSP would destroy Diaz.  I don't think Diaz can contend with GSP's wrestling or overall strength.  I think it will be a similar fight to Rory McDonald vs. Nate Diaz.

I don't know about the Primetime.  Never seems that dynamic of a speaker in interviews I've seen. 

Well Diaz is a bit unorthodox, all of GSP's last fights were against some guys know for one things. Yes, Diaz has boxing, but his brother has taught him good jiu jitsu and like i said Diaz is more unorthodox and a bit more wild than the last fights GSP has had

George cant keep this figh stand either If you don't think Diaz's stand-up is sick, just watch his fight against Paul Daley. Daley is a talented striker and Diaz killed him in the first round. Nick Diaz's stand-up is the real deal. The one thing I love about Diaz is that he hates leaving any of his fights to the judges. His unorthodox stand-up style along with his sick ground game makes it very difficult to match up with.

I'm a huge GSP fan, always have been. Just read some of my posts on here! But Nick Diaz is the real deal, GSP is a better fighter, but Diaz has a wide array of ways he can win. Everybody knew Kos could only wrestle, Shields could only grapple, Hardy could only stand, and so on and so on. But Diaz has real KO power, real submission skills. This might force GSP into a fight that the haters want to see, where he opens up and fights. Maybe Mayhem can corner GSP!

As for the Primetimes. The Diaz's live to talk trash, there would be epic quotes.